wheel component's

HillClimber101
HillClimber101 Posts: 149
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
After reading the "do it" guide in cycling plus's leading me to watch a youtube video i now want to follow my week long dream of building a wheel.

i'll start off easy with a 32 spoke 3 cross wheel but i don't know much more.

e.g how much will it cost, e.g. If i get the cheapest quaility component's (suggestions please) and how do i get the spokes cut?

please help, i feel a bit lost.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    After reading the "do it" guide in cycling plus's leading me to watch a youtube video i now want to follow my week long dream of building a wheel.

i'll start off easy with a 32 spoke 3 cross wheel but i don't know much more.

e.g how much will it cost, e.g. If i get the cheapest quaility component's (suggestions please) and how do i get the spokes cut?

please help, i feel a bit lost.

You might be able to find a friend with an old rim and hub he would give you and use it as a "learner". Otherwise a Shimano 105 or Campy lower end hub should work just fine . Mavic Open Pro rims are pretty good. As for spokes and cutting, buy them, and nipples, at a shop and have the shop cut them. They will also be able to tell you the exact lengths you'll need with the hub and rim combo that you are using. With a lot of patience and a bit of luck you could end up with a useful wheel. Good luck.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No need to cut spokes - you buy them at the length you need for the hub and rim combination. Start with a front wheel - the back is slightly more tricky as the spoke lengths and tension are different on either side, whereas the front is the same on both sides. If you shop around you should be able to pick up some hubs, rims and spokes for less than a £100. You don't need a special jig either, using your bike frame in a stand with the brake blocks acting as guides.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..