Has 2009 been windy?

pjh
pjh Posts: 204
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Chatting with my cycling buddy last week about the wind. We found it hard to remember a ride this year that wasn't windy?!

Not sure if it's just the bloomin windy rides we remember ... but I keep a brief note of every ride on my trailrunner software .... and reading back the wind gets mentioned almost every ride!

Sitting here right now staring out the window as I'll be heading out soon and sure enough ..... the trees are blowing :roll:

Is it me? :D

It's great to be .....

Comments

• mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ... and for some reason its always a headwind !!!... even when I ride in a loop :wink:
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    pjh wrote:
    Chatting with my cycling buddy last week about the wind. We found it hard to remember a ride this year that wasn't windy?!

Past three summers have been windier than would normally be expected. I am a windsurfer though, so I havn't been complaining :D I started cycling as a 'no wind' hobby, but the addiction has kicked in and I complain as much as anyone when its windy now and im cycling :oops:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    It has being very windy, I for one look forward to winter, I am sure last winter it was hardly windy, there has probably being about 10% of the days I've cycled that has not being windy, I know some of the rides have being in gale force wind with the club.

Global warming.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Living in the Netherlands we have no hills. but in the province of Zeeland where i live we have wind 350+ days of the year.On the days when we have no wind you can bet it,s tropically warm and cycling for more than 3 hours is out of the question.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • freehub
    How do people in tropicall countrys manage to cycle for more than 3 hours? Just make sure you drink enough water.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    It certainly has been windy and especially so every time I go to the Hilllingdon Cycle circuit.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    freehub wrote:
    How do people in tropicall countrys manage to cycle for more than 3 hours? Just make sure you drink enough water.
    On the days when it,s tropical warm i limit myself to 3 hours. You are sweating terribly and having to stop so often to fill your bottles i find that it,s just no fun anymore. Mind you, i ride 34Km/h average so am not hanging about. Certainly if you rode at a fairly slow pace then yes you could cycle longer, maybe all day with regular stops. But again cycling at a faster pace, then after 3 hours then it,s just no fun anymore.Its only my opinion.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

I can look out of the windows and see its a " touch" breezy ...then I get out of the urban bit and into the areas where the Cheshire " flats" are ...and the wind just picks up from the Irish sea and drives across them .

I can't remember a day without wind for years and I agree with Freehub that this is prob down to climate change. Lets face it, the wind is prob one of the most significant factors in determining the weather ....more wind bring more rain off the Atlantic ...

I love living in the North West UK.... :evil:

night riding in Winter ..cold , dark ....but suprisingly still ...its the only way to avoid turbo trainer . ...

got to admit that drawing back the curtains on another grim , windy day is soul detroying but living where I live I've realised if I avoid the wind I may as well pack it all in and swap the bikes for kites !
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Wind is nature's way of telling you you're not smashing it hard enough.

That's why there's plenty more wind on the flats and at the top of mountains, once nature realises you left change at the top.

:wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Today wasn't windy :D
    But we've definately had more than our share of cr@ppy weather this summer.
  • freehub wrote:
    Global warming.

I would say it's more due to the position of the jet stream bringing atlantic low pressures further south than normal at this time of year.
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416

I don't know - some of the nicest coastline in Europe, miles of single track roads, a population of about 3, hills to die for, climbing to die for - it's pretty dam nice up there

there is the midges though.... at least the wind keeps them away
  • LittleB0b wrote:

I don't know - some of the nicest coastline in Europe, miles of single track roads, a population of about 3, hills to die for, climbing to die for - it's pretty dam nice up there

there is the midges though.... at least the wind keeps them away

lol ...let me clarify ....When I mean North West ...I should have said England!

surrounded by Machester,Liverpool , and every urban conurbation you can imagine ...motorways , rat runs , population of several million ....and millions and millions of white vans !

:lol:

oh and wind !

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I've had a couple of days out in the Chilterns that haven't been windy..... including my first ever sportive. Lovely hot sunny day that just made me want to ride my bike all the more. Normally though it's been breezy to say the least, and often damp. Oh well, just more reason to rebuild my MTB so that on wet windy days I have the protection of the woods.
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    Didn't see this thread and started my own one a few mins ago. I'm so frustrated by the wind at the moment. It's worse than any other type of weather with the exception of snow for obvious reasons.

Since April, if I've had more than 2 rides that were relatively calm I would be amazed. Today it was into my face, into my sides and for maybe a mile behind me.

I hate you wind, now go back where you came from, or at least get behind me for once.
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • Today wasn't windy :D
    But we've definately had more than our share of cr@ppy weather this summer.

oh believe me it was! :(

you know its bad when your having to work the gears hard ....downhill ! :cry:

I love reading the met report when I'm off for the next few days!

Today:

Cloudy with outbreaks of rain, heavy and persistent at times over Cumbria but lighter over the south of the region with some dry and brighter interludes over Cheshire and Lancashire. Quite warm though windy with fresh or strong southwest winds. Maximum temperature 21 °C.
    Tonight:

Rain will become heavy over much of the region this evening before clearing from the west overnight. Blustery showers following into western parts. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

Tuesday:

Blustery showers heavy at times with local hail and thunder along with some sunshine in-between the showers. Strong and gusty southwest winds. Maximum temperature 19 °C.

Updated: on Mon 31 Aug 2009

prozac please !

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Well wasn't windy round here :? In fact still isnt. At work at the mo but looks quite nice, if a bit overcast, maybe it's worse up narth :?:
    Or maybe you lot need to stop moaning so much :wink: We'll all know about it in a few months when our hands hurt with the cold :(
  • Well wasn't windy round here :? In fact still isnt. At work at the mo but looks quite nice, if a bit overcast, maybe it's worse up narth :?:
    Or maybe you lot need to stop moaning so much :wink: We'll all know about it in a few months when our hands hurt with the cold :(

colds never a problem if you ride hard enough :wink:

im Northern.....I'm paid to moan ...it keeps the Sarf 'appy :lol:

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    It's been pretty blustery in Norfolk throughout the summer also. I don't mind the extra effort required in the wind as such, it's the wind around the ears I hate.

Just back from a short walk with the family and we noticed one or two leaves starting to fall already. Summers come and go so quickly :cry:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Come and live in Northumberland, never a day without a breeze of varying strengths. I gave up whinging about it years ago, decided it was great resistance training although it doesn't seemed to have helped any :oops: but at least now I just get on with it :D:D
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    Yep Summer is pretty much on the way out. I had a leaf stuck to my sunglasses temporarily today.
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • freehub
    Today here has being on par with the strongest winds this week here.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html

Getting worse for the weekend too...
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    I blame my high fibre diet

(check sig)
    Still suffering with wind
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Dont think this year was as bad as 2008. Last year was really windy up here in not so sunny Scotland. The only good points is that it drys the road up after the rain!!!
    Brian B.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    I *think* I like the wind really .... well up to a point anyhow. There's always the hope that if its against you it will be with you at some stage ... maybe :D but when you're having to pedal to go down hill it's just taking the p*ss!

I get the feeling sometimes that someone upstairs is yanking my chain :wink: so try to maintain a sense of humor.

It's great to be .....
  • I agree.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I think it has been windier the last decade or so, i.e. compared to a couple of decades ago.
    I don’t understand it that when news reports talk of global warming they never talk of wind intensity changes, although there must surely be some, because wind is related to air temperature (and pressure) differences.