Vuelta stage 3 *spoiler*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Still in the Netherlands. Still flat. I think that little peak in the middle of today's stage is a sleeping policeman:

vueltaprofilestage3.jpg

Three riders in the break today. Token Spaniard Jesus Rosendo, Lars Boom and the amazingly named Johnny Hoogerland, who surely must have been lead guitarist in an 80's new wave punk band at some point in his life.

The ticker says there are still over 100 km to go and the three have 8'20". Not sure if there are any cobble sections today, but there are the possible side-winds to make things difficult.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't like to see these stages in this part of Europe included in the Vuelta. There is a time and a place for these stages, and for me, the Vuelta isn't it. Nothing to do with the stages themselves from a viewing standpoint (a flat stage in Spain is likely to be more boring).

It seems my company is the only one at work here and everything is dead. Gives me an opportunity to watch some of the stage I guess.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    I don't like to see these stages in this part of Europe included in the Vuelta. There is a time and a place for these stages, and for me, the Vuelta isn't it. Nothing to do with the stages themselves from a viewing standpoint (a flat stage in Spain is likely to be more boring).

I think it adds a bit more interest. It's a different style of racing in the Netherlands and Belgium - and to be a grand tour champion you need to be able to adapt to different styles.

I think yesterday had the right balance. One short section of cobbles. Enough to remind the peloton that they're not in Spain, but not enough to cause real damage like when the Tour did the Roubaix sections a few years ago.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Not sure if there are any cobble sections today
    No cobbles in those parts of the country; the only significant ones in the Netherlands are in Drenthe, the province of Assen and Emmen; and a couple in Zeeland on the border with Flanders north of Bruges...
    That 'climb' in the profile of today is uphill, short but reasonably steep for almost one km just East of Nijmegen; they could easily have made a King of the Mountains sprint of that to create a bit of play around that jersey.
  • frenchfighter
    Live feeds now up.

68km to go - 3.16mins lead for the three out front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice weather for some.....
    All very relaxed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Rosendo has 30 secs with 19km to go.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Slowed to a crawl, with just one rabbit. Boy, it's flat....unlike tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    edited August 2009
    Henderson nice win. Bozic 2nd. Bonnen, Farrar, Bennati, Ciolek not in contention.

62km/h sprint.

Cancellara still leading. Henderson at 6 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Henderson, blimey. Is he the first ever Kiwi to win a GT stage?

Nice sprint by Bozic too. If his lead-out man had waited a little bit longer...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    Henderson, blimey. Is he the first ever Kiwi to win a GT stage?

Yes. And no. (I think)

"Champion of New Zealand" (TM Phil Liggett) Julian Dean was part of the Slipstream team that won the TTT in the Giro last year
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    Stage 3:

1º 175 HENDERSON, Greg NZL THR 4:41:01
    2º 202 BOZIC, Borut SLO VAC m.t.
    3º 151 FREIRE, Óscar ESP RAB m.t.
    4º 171 GREIPEL, André GER THR m.t.
    5º 44 BONNET, William FRA BBO m.t.
    6º 141 BOONEN, Tom BEL QST m.t.
    7º 66 HAMMOND, Roger GBR CTT m.t.
    8º 148 WEYLANDT, Wouter BEL QST m.t.
    9º 198 O'GRADY, Stuart AUS SAX m.t.
    10º 168 ROELANDTS, Jurgen BEL SIL m.t.

GC:

1º 194 CANCELLARA, Fabian SUI SAX 009:29:33
    2º 175 HENDERSON, Greg NZL THR a 06
    3º 181 CIOLEK, Gerald GER MRM a 08
    4º 141 BOONEN, Tom BEL QST a 09
    5º 113 FARRAR, Tyler USA GRM a 12
    6º 207 MOURIS, Jens NED VAC a 14
    7º 152 BOOM, Lars NED RAB a 16
    8º 132 BENNATI, Daniele ITA LIQ a 16
    9º 135 KREUZIGER, Roman CZE LIQ a 17
    10º 215 GARCÍA, David ESP XAC a 18
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    Yes is boring stage see ,y blog
  • On the australian broadcast they said it had been 20 years since a New Zealander had won a stage of the Vuelta so theres been atleast one more.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • afx237vi
    On the australian broadcast they said it had been 20 years since a New Zealander had won a stage of the Vuelta so theres been atleast one more.

Took a bit of Googling, but someone called Paul Jesson won a stage in 1980:

http://www.sitiodeciclismo.net/coureuru ... urid=10855

Looks like he was only a pro for 2 years, but had some good results.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    On the australian broadcast they said it had been 20 years since a New Zealander had won a stage of the Vuelta so theres been atleast one more.

For those not watching Eurosport, Sean Kelly (his former team-mate) just explained why. Apparently he had a bad crash in the Dauphiné Libéré and ended up losing his leg below the knee. But then he went on to compete in the Paralympics and now owns a bike shop.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

For those not watching Eurosport, Sean Kelly (his former team-mate) just explained why. Apparently he had a bad crash in the Dauphiné Libéré and ended up losing his leg below the knee. But then he went on to compete in the Paralympics and now owns a bike shop.

Flippin heck that'd have to be a bad crash, poor guy. fair play for gettin back on the bike though, I'd probably just sit in a chair and eat crisps if that happend to me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Thanks for doing what i couldnt be bothered doing (though i did give it a really half hearted effort) afx237vi
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.