sram 10spd chains

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi Guys

Thinking i was a mechanical expert although new to 10 speed road groups I blindly attathed it all to the bike.

I used a chain tool to break and redo the chain instead of the powerlink (which i ve done on their 9 spd MTB chains with no issue) The first ride out it broke as i pulled out of the junction outside my house - I got all of 200 yards. Tell me have a ruined the chain now? I also did nt watch their videos or read the instructions and thereby broke the powerlink so i need a new one (i could blame wiggles "unboxed" sales for this but i think thats unfair!) - good day so far :oops:

Also-the cassette (also unboxed) came with a spacer - where does this go?

Cheers
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Just re-join the chain with a new powerlink

spacer goes on before the cassette, on some freehubs. Shimnao 10spd cassettes need a spacer, SRAM ones often don't.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ddraver
    I broke it in more than one place - are they all going to be so ropey?
    - @ddraver
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Spacer as mentioned, goes on before cassette. I've got a pair of Mavic Kysrium SL's and some Aksiums, both needed spacer with SRAM 10spd.

Regards your chain...bin it!

The SRAM powerlink is quite a bit wider than the rest of the chain & they have a tendency to snag the bottom jockey wheel on the rear mech(in certain gears). Also the shifting is much improved with a KMC 10spd. Far smoother upshifts.
  • maddog 2
    +1 on the KMC
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ddraver
    Can someone quickly tell me if a KMC link will fit the SRAM chain - its all I can find on Bank holiday Mon and I'd like to get a bit of a ride in if poss!
    - @ddraver
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well both KMC and SRAM links fit Shimano chains so I would think so (I use KMC), and on 10 speed the KMC may be the better option as the SRAM 10 speed are not reusable. Obviously you need the link to be the same speed as the chain, but you know that :wink:
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    not being sarcastic here, but i fitted a new chain to my bike the other night (first time) and that was an SRAM 9 Sp with the quick release link, how did you manage to break it?

I put it on and off a few times though to get the correct chain length - would this be ok? As i read above that you should only use them once?

The seem to be pretty easy to get on and off, i looked up on the net and it said you have to squeeze the clip together with your fingers before trying to release.
  • maddog 2
    9spd SRAM links can be used as many times as you like.

I've also re-used the 10spd KMC links many times too.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    maddog 2 wrote:
    9spd SRAM links can be used as many times as you like.

I've also re-used the 10spd KMC links many times too.

Excellent, and what about the link rubbing on the jockey wheel as described above?
  • ddraver
    again I think thats a 10spd problem. SRAM 9spd chains are well understood to be the bees knees for MTBing (or the beesiest knees available perhaps!)
    - @ddraver
  • maddog 2
    the powerlink on my 10spd KMC is no wider than the rest of the chain, and a 9spd SRAM link is no wider than a 9spd chain, so I'm not sure what's happening with the jockey wheel problem above. I've certainly not had any problems.

If the chain is goosed then just buy a new KMC and fit it properly this time...

Otherwise, just removed the damaged links and join together the remaining lengths with some powerlinks. I've used two or three links in a single chain before now without issues.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a KMC link on my SRAM 10 speed.
    No problems, so far, and the KMC is reusable, and also, I believe it is now recommended by SRAM since they recalled the 10 speed powerlinks!

Paul :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Just a point of note. SRAM only recalled two codes of powerlink (M & N I think - these are printed on the link). However, what were they thinking producing a one use only powerlink - they might as well have used a pin same as Shimano :roll: Ludicrous when the 9spd links are so good.

I also use KMC links on my SRAM 10 speed.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • ddraver
    I now have a KMC link on my SRAM chain - all is good - 45 wet and windy miles completed with no issues - yay for KMC!
    - @ddraver