Panaracer Fire XC

dvoodoo
dvoodoo Posts: 46
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
I was having a look at new tires and see there is a Panaracer Fire XC listed by some suppliers where others list a Panaracer Fire XC Pro. I have looked on the panaracer site and there doesnt seem to be a Fire XC and only a Fire XC Pro am I correct in thinking it will be the same tire just missing the Pro on the listing as the Weight and Description seem very similar.

Comments

• dvoodoo wrote:
    I was having a look at new tires and see there is a Panaracer Fire XC listed by some suppliers where others list a Panaracer Fire XC Pro. I have looked on the panaracer site and there doesnt seem to be a Fire XC and only a Fire XC Pro am I correct in thinking it will be the same tire just missing the Pro on the listing as the Weight and Description seem very similar.

IIRC the Pros are the 'proper' decent tyres with a higher TPI but the non-pros are the OEM tyres, lower quality, they also have small writting in colour on the tyre wall whereas the pros have the large white writting (see my Orange P7 thread in sig, to see the pro ones)

HTHs :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I always thought the main difference was the Pros are folding and the others aren't- they have a wire bead so they're heavier.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Da Mighty Chicken is not quite right because as you'll see from the pics, both are labelled XC Pro.

There are OEM and retail tyres, folding and wire bead and Pro and non-pro. I'm pretty sure that the pro/non-pro bit is the difference between single and dual compound (ZSG compound).

So if you want lightweight XC pros that grip well, you want retail folding XC pros. I think :?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Just head into halfrauds and but the pair with fire xc pro printed in white as above, price wise they aren't far off what you pay online anyway.

You'll find the low tpi models will wear faster and not grip as well and be more puncture prone.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • The reason I initially mentioned that the non-pros are oem was because I seen some online retailers listing the oems as non-pros, so it was just a heads up for the OP :D
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Yeah but it affects both pro's and the non pro as im sure you know.

So long as they aren't the stickered variety he'll be fine.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Dazzza wrote:
    Yeah but it affects both pro's and the non pro as im sure you know.

So long as they aren't the stickered variety he'll be fine.

Agreed :D
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Yes the lower thread has the fire writting on it, the good ones have the panaracer in bold white.
  • its only 5 or 6 quid difference from the bead or folding got one of each on mine.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/551/imag0354e.jpg
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Just wanted to restart this as I want the higher quality ones but for a tubeless set up on my bontranger rims.

Looking on wiggle the ust fire xc tyres look like the lower quality ones above (and are described as having a lower tpi than the pro's). They're availble £29 - £39 on various websites.

Surely they'd think that if you're into MTB enough to want tubeless you would want the better compound tpi?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    OEM

15pj0o3.jpg]

Note: whatever you do, please avoid these tyres above, they are a ba$t@rd to get them on the rims aswell getting off, bloody nightmare! Go for the kelvar folding type, lighter and easy to put on rim, I have them and well pleased with it.
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Ok so another -ve for the OE version

But does anyone know if you can get the better red wallled version in tubeless?
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Balls... After all this time i've realised I ahve the crappy one.. Theyre arent that bad though TBH. But yes they are incredibly difficult to get on the rim
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Strange how we all have different experiences with the same tyres?

I've got the OEM ones, grip OK, no problem fitting them either.....

But the best place for em' is in the bin!

Never had so many punctures in my soddin' life, this is on my canal towpath commute, 3 punctures in one 6 mile journey, thorns of all things. On 6 journeys, had punctures on 3 of em!!! Never had this with any other tyre, not even the cheapo Schwalbe landcruisers I've fitted for the time being, brilliant for towpaths (nothing too techy).

Those Panracers ...... Useless....!

I'd personally avoid em like the plague.

Just my 2p worth.....
    Live every day like it\'s your last, cos one day.......your gonna be right!
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i've had no problems with my XC pros .
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    i have had pairs of both on these. I never had any problems fitting any of them, they aren't the best tyres in the world, but they are adequete.

you can get folding kevlar red walled white writing ones. go to a shop!!
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -