Tyre Life

idreamoftailwinds
idreamoftailwinds Posts: 134
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Guys, I have just done a little over 2000 miles on some GP 4000 tyres and they are looking like they need replacing; small cuts all over and almonst down to the ware indicators. Is this normal for tyres?

Thanks

Comments

• Guys, I have just done a little over 2000 miles on some GP 4000 tyres and they are looking like they need replacing; small cuts all over and almonst down to the ware indicators. Is this normal for tyres?

Thanks

Yes.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    2000 miles is quite respectable, however if you're looking for something that will last even longer, and aren't racing, then look in to investing in a training-specific tyre. They will last a little longer, probably another 1000 miles, the only drawback is rolling resistance and weight will increase, but only by a fraction. I got a little over 3000 miles out of a pair of Trek Race Lite Hardcases, however at first I wasn't sure about the dual compound, it was a little twitchy and felt peculiar in the wet, but soon this feeling subsided.

Regards, Geoff.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    My GP4000 look pretty similar to your description (in blue :wink: ), with a similar mileage.

They still grip well and I still havn't had a puncture.

Were pretty fine on long steep mountain descents.

When you start losing grip or getting regular punctures it'd be worth changing.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    Wouldn't it be worth changing before you get the punctures. Sounds like an awful pain in the bum to change tubes/patch up when you're out on a long ride when it could very easily be prevented?
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Geoff93 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be worth changing before you get the punctures. Sounds like an awful pain in the bum to change tubes/patch up when you're out on a long ride when it could very easily be prevented?

You'll never trully know how long your tyres could go for then :wink: It's good practice anyway.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • I air on the side of caution and replace tyres once they start to look "ropey".

As an aside what's the worst VFM you've had out of a tyre?

I once purchased MTB tyre for £30 and shreded it on its first outing, worked out at about £3.00 a mile. :(
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I have Krylion Carbons on my bike, my red ones I must have got near 5000 miles on them, never got a single puncture, I had GP4000's on before and they cut up real easy I was just looking at my red one the other day and it's a right mess, I never throw me tyres away though :P
  • Awesome thanks guys, looks like I may be getting new tyres.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I don't thing Conti 4000s cut particularly badly, but I do check pressure before every trip.
    Training tyres do last longer, but this is something that also has its drawbacks. They last longer because the compound is harder and they don't grip as well. If you regularly do a lot of descending then you have to decide which is more important to you; long tyre life or good grip. I love fast descending, so for me the extra expense is justified.