covert drops to flats (again)

fatfreddy
fatfreddy Posts: 332
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi
my wife has a Trek 1.2 and wants to covert to flats. It's a Sora 8 speed triple set up - does anyone know if the 440 shifters will work with Sora? Info on the SJS site says they will only work with the 440 FD. (But CRC has them on sale so might be a bargain - or not).

I notice that the new mid/high range Trek hybrids are running Tiagra rear mechs with Alivio shifters and Deore front mechs which is another option. But I assume the Alivio will only work with an MTB FD.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible in case it doesn't work for her so ideally would only like to change the shifters (I have spare bars and brake levers lying around).

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

FF

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    triple can be tricky

I'd go with the 440FD just to be on the safe side, when running 440 shifters. But try the Sora one first, you may be lucky.

An mtb front shifter definitley won't work with the Sora triple. If you use a mtb front shifter then you'll need a mtb FD, which don't shift well with road triple c/sets.

Rear mech can be any Shimano mech, road or mtb. Basically all Shimano rear shifters pull the same amount of cable (STI, 440, mtb) so all rear mechs are interchangeable.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Hi mate - I might be interested in a swap of 8-speed/triple flat bar for drop bar bits, so I've PM'ed you.

Cheers
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    the cheapest way to do it would be to use sram gripshift and a sram rear mech, then you will be able to use your current front mech with no problems at all and you can get them for about a tenner off ebay. alternatively ive got a pair of esp 9.0 g/shift that ill do you a deal on with the sora sti.
    who cares?
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

FF