First 50 !

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Just thought I would celebrate my first 50 miler here. Did it yesterday in the Pennines on what was a very windy day making some sections very hard work with the head wind. Total stats are 50.67 miles and 2700 ft of ascent. For those who know the area it was from Lightcliffe, via Brighouse to West Vale over to Denshaw and then to Delph. Over to Marsden, to Meltham and Holmfirth before returning Huddersfield and back via Hartshead and Clifton. Very pleased to have done the distance as it was my target ride for the summer. :D

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Well done mate!
    Not only have you done your first 50...
    ...you've also posted your 50 Personal Best Time! :wink:

...and on a difficult course in tricky conditions.
    Cycling weakly
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    The first 50 is always hard..... I did mine not that long ago and I felt a huge sense of achievement afterwards. Well done. Now on to the first 60.....
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Oh well done!

I also did my first 50+ miles yesterday - round Arran (and very nice it was too).
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Congrats - sounds like a good ride.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Well done
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Nice one mate, I used to live in West Vale 20 years ago and those hills are not nice, so even more deserved :D
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    The wind yesterday was a killer. Congrats on first 50. How the legs feeling today! :wink:
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Yeah congrats on your first half century . I know what you mean with the wind. I did a 36 miler on Friday and was 15 mins quicker coming home than going out cuss of the horrendous wind. Still I treat it as a bit of resistance training..
    Dave
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    Thanks all. Legs not bad at at all today quite surprisingly feel ok. The sense of anticipation watching the computor trip over was quite something though ! BTW Slow n old the worst of the wind was over Scammondon and down to Denshaw felt like I was leaning at 45 degrees when it wasn t head on !
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Good work allen.

I did a swift 55 miles yesterday down here around Bristol and the wind was a nightmare coming in, but we got in @ 3hrs 20mins which was not too bad all things considered....

There has been so much wind around this summer. Kinda weird. I did see a feature on the news about some random air flow that has contributed to it though....
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Wind, blimey tell me about it, I ended up doing 40 Miles in 2hrs 29 Mins, I was down to 12mph when it was head on in my face :cry::(
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    edited August 2009
    When will the wind ever end? :(

I've just looked at the weather and it's going to get worse with no let up in the wind, I did 47 miles today and thank god the wind was only in my face about 10 miles of that but god damn it was bad my speed was down to 16-17mph, rest was crosswind and abit of awesome tailwind.
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Ah it was a killer this afternoon was going down some open roads by feilds n totally killed my speed off, glad im not the only one who has there speed severely cut by the wind
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    freehub, 16/17mph in that wind is pretty impressive IMHO !
    My knees hurt !
  • Takis61 wrote:

That's why he wrote it... :wink:
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Pure coincidence, because I had no idea what the weather would be like when I booked it, but I spent the entire day today in Manchester Velodrome. No wind at all! :D Felt great getting up this morning and not having to face the elements for once!

Sorry.. Couldn't help rubbing it in!

BTW, great work Allen! Wait for a minor hurricane and your 60 miler can go down as an epic ride you will NEVER forget. :shock:
  • leither
    leither Posts: 12
    LittleB0b wrote:
    Oh well done!

I also did my first 50+ miles yesterday - round Arran (and very nice it was too).

That sounds brilliant - I'd LOVE to cycle round Arran. How did it go? I was over there a couple of weeks ago and was very jealous of all the cyclists coming off the ferry!
  • Most ive ever done in one session is 55KM. I feel a bit of a prawn now, did it in 1hr 25mins with my uncle.......
    Must go faster.
  • freehub
    Takis61 wrote:

Lol :lol:

I don't know I don't think it was that good, I kept thinking I'd be doing 20mph right now into this if I was on a club run I'm sure it was not very strong here but when it's windy at whatever speed it seems the same into a headwind.

Ok maybe it was goodish but I like to aim higher. I think of cars how they can do 100mph into a headwind.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    leither wrote:

That sounds brilliant - I'd LOVE to cycle round Arran. How did it go? I was over there a couple of weeks ago and was very jealous of all the cyclists coming off the ferry!

Great! although we only just made it back for the 16:40 ferry (if you don't make that one you have to wait till 19:40).

The second half was hillier than i thought it was going to be - but mostly i'm just happy to have made it round. The farest i have ever been before is 40 miles - so a lumpy 55 was quite pleasing.

There's a bit more on my blog - but i would recommend it - and it's very doable in terms of logisitics. We drove to ardrossan, the ferry as foot passengers (£9.30 return).
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Did arran a couple of months ago, good challenging ride.

Because the wind was north-west we went over the lochranza hill first (turn right off the ferry).

Going that way has a very challenging hill at the end coming out of lamlash towards brodick, very very steep and I was running on empty by the time I was at the top.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • freehub wrote:
    I think of cars how they can do 100mph into a headwind.

You mean those things with engines...?! :P
  • freehub
    Yea that's right!! Maybe if we enclose outself in something we'd be able to do 40+mph.
  • freehub wrote:
    Yea that's right!! Maybe if we enclose outself in something we'd be able to do 40+mph.

You'd still get to much wind resistance. Try having a breakfast of prunes and baked beans before going out it'll be like having a V12 stuck up your arse :wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    freehub wrote:

You'd still get to much wind resistance. Try having a breakfast of prunes and baked beans before going out it'll be like having a V12 stuck up your ars* :wink:

Yuck.......gross!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Takis61 wrote:

:lol:

Of course he did. Im no pro or a fat slouch but average speed is a bit of an annoying statistic. If you went on some of the hilly routes I take it will knock upto 5mph off your average. On a flat twenty miler I get around 17-18 depending on the traffic. So only 'down to 16/17mph' in the wind is actually a decent speed assuming your not telling porky pies! :wink:
  • leither
    leither Posts: 12
    LittleB0b wrote:
    leither wrote:

Great! although we only just made it back for the 16:40 ferry (if you don't make that one you have to wait till 19:40).

The second half was hillier than i thought it was going to be - but mostly i'm just happy to have made it round. The farest i have ever been before is 40 miles - so a lumpy 55 was quite pleasing.

There's a bit more on my blog - but i would recommend it - and it's very doable in terms of logisitics. We drove to ardrossan, the ferry as foot passengers (£9.30 return).

Thanks for posting that. Your blog's great :) Will see if I can hop on the ferry next time I'm in Ayrshire.

Thanks to mikeq for the warning about the hill out of Lamlash. My car struggles up there at the best of times so can't imagine doing it at the end of a 55 mile trip :(
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Rather than start a new thread on 50 milers, I figured it would be ok to post on this one :)
    Only picked up my new road bike on Saturday and planned on doing a longish ride on the sunday to "break me and it in" :D Did'nt think I'd manage a 50 on my first ride though but that's what I did. Well chuffed when I got home to see the odo read 50.5 miles.
    Took just over 3 hours 30 mins with an average speed of 14.9 mph.
    I've been mtb'ing for the last 3 years since selling my old road bike, and very glad to be back on the roads again. My route was from Romiley (Stockport) towards Alderley Edge-Holmes Chapel-Congleton-Alderley and it was great to say hello to all the fellow roadies out about yesterday (Sunday 30th Aug)
    Even managed to sneak a tow off some chap on a nice Boardman Pro out of Hazel Grove, cheers bud :)

See you all out tomorrow where I'll be heading along Knutsford Road out of Alderley this time.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    I did my second 50miler on saturday only been riding the road bike for just over a month managed it in 3hrs 24minutes thats 50.46miles with a total ascending of 2587ft it was really windy and still is today i still feel a bit tired.