See a frame, buy a frame, no it's not that simple is it??

davidnrwd
davidnrwd Posts: 54
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
You see the problem is I like more than one.

I like the Ragley Blue Pig...3911247774648.jpg

The Cove Handjob...

And the Santa Cruz Chameleon..

I'm sure you know what the last 2 look like.

I am leaning towards the Blue Pig because it gets crackin reviews and isn't one you would see every day.

It will be black with hints of red (Headset/Skewers/Seat Clamp/Bottom Bracket).

Here is the spec so far:

Frame : Choice of above
Bars: Race Face Deus XC Riser
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 (70mm)
Headset: Hope (Red)
Grips: Lizard Skin Lock On (Peaty Graphite with red ends)
Brakes: ???
Shifters: SRAM X-9 Trigger
Derailleur (F) : Shimano XT
Derailleur (R): SRAM X-9
Crankset: Shimano SLX Triple
Bottom Bracket: Hope Ceramic (Red)
Cassette: SRAM PG-990 (Redwin Red)
Chain: SRAM PC-991
Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp (Black/Red)
Seatclamp: Hope QR (Red)
Pedals: ???
Rims/Hubs: Mavic XC717 / Hope Pro II
Tyres: ???
Skewers: Hope (Red)
Forks: ???

It will be for XC and will be built when I have time off work so may take a wee while, + delivery times for parts etc....

What do you guys and gals think...

Oh and hello :D

Starting again!!!!

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Depends on what type of riding you will be doing really. Blue Pig needs a good 140mm travel fork, like an rs revelation.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Looks ok

XT cassette instead of Sram

KMC Chain instead of Sram

Hope or Formula brakes

Fox Float or Talas forks, or Rockshox Revelation forks

XT SPD pedals if you're going to use SPD's, Wellgo MG1's if you want flatties.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    davidnrwd

What about the geometry? Can you compare it to anything? That is more important than what colour skewers goes best with it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    none of those are xc frames they're more hardcore trail frames. Try something like an inbred, something that works well with 100mm of travel.

Then sid forks, and stans rims over 717, xt cassette and KMC chain. For brakes try the avid elixirs.
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    i love that frame, thinking of getting one my self. The mmbop is a bit lighter tho.
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Stick with the SRAM pc 991. I've use them on all my bikes and they've not once snapped ( I'm a big old lad too ) and a bit of a pedal mosher. Would reccomend the solid pin chain over the hollow pin.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    As above though, the blue pigs and mmmbop are hardcore trail bikes designed to take that bit more punishment, so if you're not planning on dishing it out then you might want to save on weight, particularly on the blue pig. The mmmbop is lighter but going to be the stiffer ride (Brant's own observations). So you'd need to be demo-ing any ride, whatever the brand anyway, to see what suits you and your riding.
  • As above though, the blue pigs and mmmbop are hardcore trail bikes designed to take that bit more punishment, so if you're not planning on dishing it out then you might want to save on weight, particularly on the blue pig. The mmmbop is lighter but going to be the stiffer ride (Brant's own observations). So you'd need to be demo-ing any ride, whatever the brand anyway, to see what suits you and your riding.

It may be hard to ride either the Blue Pig or mmbop as the one in Glasgow has none in stock or at least not showing any. Have just emailed him to ask if he has any in stock at all...

Starting again!!!!
  • mr_mills
    mr_mills Posts: 79
    The MmmBop isn't in the shops until probably October. I pre-ordered one 8)
  • 13baz
    13baz Posts: 52
    Just finished my Blue pig today! 16" in skwosh looks great.

Although not had a true test yet ( Glentress at w/end :D ) it feels awesome had to skimp a bit on the front forks to get it finished but will remedy this soon.

My advice is go for it you will not be dissapointed!