£100 to Spend on Bib Shorts: Suggestions?

TheHappyClown
TheHappyClown Posts: 51
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm after a pair of lycra bib-shorts and have about £100 to spend, maximum. I've had a good look at the DBH ones on Wiggle (Knowle and Finchdean) and also been eyeing the Assos F1 Uno S5 shorts which are available for £95 from Ribble. Any thoughts on these? Are the Assos's worth the extra money? Are there any other shorts I should consider?

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I'd recommend my Gore Xenon shorts to anyone..... extremely comfortable and look as good as lycra can on me
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    A fair amount may depend on yor physique.
    If you're slim, I'd particularly recommend the Santini range from Prendas Ciclismo http://www.prendas.co.uk/default.asp - The Italian brands generally are slimmer-fitting than UK & American brands. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Assos.

You know it makes sense.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Love my Gore ones. Brother goes for Assos. Don't think you can go far wrong with either. Think Assos are cut higher up the leg which is why I went with Gore in the end, glad I did.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Sugoi RS Flex Bib Shorts. V Comfy on long rides. Pad is thick so not to everyone's taste.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Assos Best £106 I spent. Although I have a pair of 3/4 Gore ones aqnd they are very good to.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    a.s.s.o.s.

I spelt it out for you :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    Always been an Assos man, great bibshorts.
    But recently bought a pair of Skins bibshorts and must say they are the best I've ever bought.
    Really fit me well, are super comfortable and the chamois is as good as they come. Bit expensive, but generally you get what you pay for.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    My advice would be to buy two for £50 each.

As a random aside, I have never been overtaken by someone in Assos or Rapha gear but have overtaken them in droves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Assos seem popular then :P I might have to push the boat out and go for them I think, thanks for all the advice.

Frenchfighter, I know what you mean! I've only just started road biking, but have been mountain biking for years. My Focus hardtail has full XTR, Fox forks etc, so basically looks the works and I have the kit to match it. After getting pretty unfit after a couple of months travelling last year there was something truely shamefull about getting passed on a climb by someone riding something a quarter of the price and wearing track suit bottoms! :oops: I think (!) I'm pretty fit at the moment so I think it can just about justify some expensive kit!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The last bibs I bought were Assos Unos and pretty impressed with them (although I've happily pay £10-15 pound less and not have all the fancy packaging :p ). I don't think they're perfect though so think next ones I buy will be DHB Knowle then maybe try some Mavic or Rapha.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I got a set of Altura bibs from cycle surgery and superb - very comfy and decent gel/padding for the longer rides.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Giordana Body Clone.

You know it makes EVEN MORE sense :wink:
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    As a random aside, I have never been overtaken by someone in Assos or Rapha gear but have overtaken them in droves.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Nobody ever said expensive shorts made you a faster rider.
  • Anyone have any experience with these?:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028205/Mav ... Short.html

Nice little saving there, and I've heard mostly good stuff about Mavic clothing, but can't find anything specific feedback on these.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    sturmey wrote:

No, but faster riders tend to be those who've spent more time on the road. Those who've spent more time on the road have gone through more pairs of shorts. Those who have gone through more pairs of shorts soon work out that dropping £100 plus on shorts soon leaves them without any cash. Those who've worked out the financial impact of their short choice, soon manage to find the "sweet spot" in terms of performance/value.

FWIW, I love my Giordana Body Clones, they're always the first out of the drawer when I'm going for a long ride. I've also heard good things about Santini twistgel, plus my Nalini tights have a very nice pad too. All of these can be had for under £100.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    I find SKINS to be very good, I love them anyway. They're a little more expensive though, at £130. You could probably find them a little cheaper if you bought them online.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011

What has fitness got to do with comfort?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    huuregeil wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

No, but faster riders tend to be those who've spent more time on the road. Those who've spent more time on the road have gone through more pairs of shorts. Those who have gone through more pairs of shorts soon work out that dropping £100 plus on shorts soon leaves them without any cash. Those who've worked out the financial impact of their short choice, soon manage to find the "sweet spot" in terms of performance/value.

FWIW, I love my Giordana Body Clones, they're always the first out of the drawer when I'm going for a long ride. I've also heard good things about Santini twistgel, plus my Nalini tights have a very nice pad too. All of these can be had for under £100.

Or... because assoss seem very popular, therefore more people wearing them, therefore when passing other cyclists the chance of them wearing assos is higher. Is this too simplistic a view
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    for £100 I would buy two pairs of Lusso pro-gel bibs...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I've been getting on very well with the new Campagnolo C550 Raytech shorts - they have a new pad for 2009 which is a vast improvement on the previous one (which used air pockets that always eventually deflated..) the fit is excellent (for me at least), and they are very comfortable. Not too bad value given the quality, at £80 or less. Just don't pay any attention to the fitting guide on the campy website - I have a 28" waist and M fits me perfectly, but according to the chart M is for 34.5 - 36" waists!!!
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    I have tried six pairs of different bibshorts in the past 12 months and the one which were the most comfortable on the bike were Assos Unos. Yes,they are expensive and the chamois takes ages to dry out after washing but they are kind to my butt-cheeks so I'm sticking with them.
    I had a pair of Lusso Pro gel but I didn't like the fit. The pad did look good but I wondered how it would feel on a long ride.