Bike Cleaning

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited August 2009 in Workshop
For those new to road cycling, keeping the bike clean can be as much of a skill as setting up the gears - as i am experiencing at this very moment.

Yesterday, i spend several hours (although worth it) reading through information i had printed off from the Park Tool website on gear set up and adjustment.

I then successfully (i hope, works perfectly on stand but ride this morning will confirm) set up both front and rear derailiers, including limit screws.

However, after i had finished, i looked at the bike, and thought to myself how dirty it looks in comparison to other riders bikes i see on the roads.

A couple of guys rode past me the other day whilst i was walking, and you could hear the crisp running bearings in their rear wheels (they were expensive bikes may i add and had all the top clothing on and looked the part) and their bikes were like they had just been pushed out of the shop door.

However, i had oil deposits amongst my tripple chainset that i just can't seem to clean, together with marks on the pedal cranks where i've come off in the past...

I suppose this is all part of getting your first road bike, i will be upgrading next Christmas to at least a 2K bike, and at least by that time i will be confident at setting up the gears!

So, my next step is cleaning to keep the bike looking like a million dollars..

Do you guys have any suggestions or advise on bringing the bike back to what it looked like when new? Apart from removing every single component on the bike and soaking it in acid!????????????????

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some degreaser from B+Q for when the going gets really gunky.

For everything else I use baby wipes (not Huggies though, they leave a residue and fall to bits).
  • Soni
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Get some degreaser from B+Q for when the going gets really gunky.

For everything else I use baby wipes (not Huggies though, they leave a residue and fall to bits).

I spent £10.99 on some Citrus degreaser from Evans the other day, i was in the garage the other day working on the bike and the next door neighbour came out and got in her car and i overheard her asking her husband if he could smell oranges!!! :lol:

How much is the B&Q Degreaser?

Do you remove the chainring when you clean? I have a tripple and its nigh on impossible to get into clean the bits......i think it needs removing and soaking in some hot soapy water?
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2009
    B and q degreaser is 8 quid for a 5 litre tub that last ages, you can dilute it and put it on with a paintbrush. That'll do the job of the chainset without removing anything.

Don't buy cans of spray as they are the biggest rip off ever in the history of cycling.

I only do mine thoroughly once in a while because the babywipes do such a good job of keeping everything clean.
  • Anonymous
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... er&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&ts=1251615348830&isSearch=true
  • Soni
    Thanks mate, this will save my Mrs divorsing me as i paid £10.99 for a little can of degreaser the other day!!

And at that rate it would have worked out very expensive, as i've gone through half a can allready, whereas that tub should last me years!

All the tricks of the trade, there is much more to owning a bike than you would originally think...
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Stardrops and warm water :) As long as you clean the bike after every run regardless of weather conditions, it should be easy to keep it it looking spotless. Seems to me if you have oil everywhere you are using to much of it! I find the best way is to oil/spray the components and wipe the excess off straight away and only use lube very sparingly.
    Dave
  • Soni
    Yeah was using a little too much oil :oops: that was until my local bike shop told me i should run the chain through a cloth after applying to wipe it off the sides! :D
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Nice tip about B&Q degreaser. I'm sick off paying a fortune for a little bottle which only lasts few weeks.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Anonymous
    Nice tip about B&Q degreaser. I'm sick off paying a fortune for a little bottle which only lasts few weeks.

Wait until you see what Baby Wipes can do!

Their amazing grease and dirt removing capability had me wondering what the hell they were doing to my kids' backsides!
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    I'll be giving them a butchers as well.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    NapoleonD wrote:

Wait until you see what Baby Wipes can do!

Their amazing grease and dirt removing capability had me wondering what the hell they were doing to my kids' backsides!

absolutely! - they just remove everything - even grease from your fingertips! (which I hate having as you then leave it over everything else you touch!)

actually - bang on the money about the huggies ones too - they fall to bits and leave a milky-white residue which is really annoying.

I keep a packet in the garage for wiping down the bike - the whole bike can be cleaned effectively and quickly using babywipes - they are excellent!
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    Just tried the babywipes for the first time and am startled how good they are! Thanks - a real top tip.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Great tip on the degreaser, I've been getting sprays from Decathlon, £3.99 a can so not too extortionate, but I clean once a week after the Sunday ride & it only lasts 3/4 cleans.
    Babywipes a great suggestion also, but I've been using them to get the degreaser off.
    White spirit is also a cheap degreaser, paint it on with a brush.
    My knees hurt !
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    I find the Tesco's value baby wipes are the best.

They are alcohol based, and leave no residue. They are also fairly tough and don't fall to bits like the huggies ones do.

Best tip for cleaning jocky wheels is to just let the chain pull a wipe into the jockey wheel, it gets stuck there, and cleans as you turn the chain. Then just push the derailer till it is straight, and pull the wipe out.