wobbly back wheel

beeankey
beeankey Posts: 12
edited September 2009 in Workshop
hello

As I was putting my bike away earlier i noticed that i was able to push / pull the rear wheel towards the brake blocks.

I changed the cassette a couple of weeks ago - could a loose lock ring be the culprit or is the hub knackered (it's 6yrs old)?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Well it's not the cassette lock ring causing the movement :?
    Can you feel a slight "clonk" when moving the rim side to side ?
    If so then either the skewer is loose or the hub bearings need tightening (preferably after cleaning and greasing the bearings).
    If there is no "clonking" then it might just be the spokes are a bit slack giving some sideways flex.
    Or it might be normal for your wheel and you just have not noticed it before :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • beeankey
    beeankey Posts: 12
    Thanks for that - definitely "clonking" with a tight skewer. Hopefully, as you suggest, it is supposed to be like that - think i'll leave it as is, and see what happens!! :lol:
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    WHOA THERE !!
    You are misreading what i meant, if there is sideways movement at the rim, the skewer is tight, and a clonking can be felt, then the bearings in the hub need attention.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    topdude wrote:
    WHOA THERE !!

Nice response there fella :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    topdude wrote:
    WHOA THERE !!
    You are misreading what i meant, if there is sideways movement at the rim, the skewer is tight, and a clonking can be felt, then the bearings in the hub need attention.

+1
  • Morning topdude - was a 'tongue in cheek response' hence the !! & :lol:

Had a look at it yesterday and my "tight skewer" wasn't as tight as i'd thought. Did it up some more and it's 95% better.Gonna put the other 5% down to flexing spokes.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well there should be no movement at all. The cone might need tightening abit more, but you should always allow abit of play in the axel I think it is when the wheel is off the bike that is, then the play is taken out with the skewer, this is to stop additional wear on the bearings from it being too tight I believe.