Better Gloves needed, painful hands

haggisinlondon
haggisinlondon Posts: 171
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
In my first month of cycling and did my first 60 mile ride on Saturday. I have some gloves from my commuting days which are okay. But I had such pain between my thumb and fore-finger from resting them on the hoods on the brakes.

Is this something I need to get used to or are there better gloves our there I can buy that target that area?

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Specialized body geometry are excellent and probably the most comfortable glove I've owned
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    It might not be the gloves causing your discomfort :(
    First, the way your bike is set up might be causing too much weight on your hands / arms.
    ie, bars too low / stem too long / saddle tilted down at front.
    Second, if none of the above then you need to vary your hand position occasionally while riding.
    Third, if your bike setup is ok then yes you will get used to it :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • bourney
    bourney Posts: 12
    try wiggle pearl izumi gr8 gloves :D
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Specialized body geometry are excellent and probably the most comfortable glove I've owned

+1... I have a couple of pairs of BG padded fingerless mitts, very comfortable and in the winter I wear a pair under some warm winter gloves to give you padding, warmth and protection
  • I agree with topdude.
    The pain you describe cannot be fixed with different gloves - better align your cockpit properly.
    Nonetheless, the Spesh are amazing gloves though.
    1,000km+ a month, strictly road.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I agree it's unlikely to be the gloves. Make sure your saddle height is correct, and you're not stretching to reach your handlebars.