How do I convert to a TT front end setup?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi people,

I'm after some help and guidance.

Currently I've got a normal set up some 44cm bars with clip on aero bars and with normal campag mirage brake/gear levers.

I'm considering ditching this setup and going to a full triathlon/TT setup with the bar end shifters and a set of bull bars etc, but I'm not 'totally' sure what I need to purchase and also what it will cost me.

I'm guessing I need the following:

A set of bull bars
A set of aero bars that are compatible with the bars and also takes bar-end shifters
A set of brake levers
A set of bar end shifters (as I have Campagnolo 9 speed - can I only use compag ones or speficically 9 speed?)
New brake and gear cables?
New Bar tape.

Is it possible that people who have done this conversion on their bike offer me some help and guidance?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Would also add an adjustable stem to that
  • Hi there.

You might need a more forward angled seat post to move your saddle further forward to get into the right position on the TT bars.

Cheers, Andy
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    depends how much you wanted to spend really, do you want a full on integrated tt set up or do you want a base bar and some tri bars, as you have a set of tri bars i guess buying a flat base bar would be the best option

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26985

your current shifters would fit ok on this but if you wanted the bar end shifters you will need to get campy 9 speed as shimano wont be compatible without a shiftmate (which could actually work out cheaper). brake levers would probably cost you in the region of a tenner on ebay at the moment. if you do decide on bar end shifters give me a shout if your selling your current campy ergos as i could be interested.
    who cares?
  • dru
    Hi there.

You might need a more forward angled seat post to move your saddle further forward to get into the right position on the TT bars.

Cheers, Andy

Fortunatley the bike came with a Profile Design Forward Seat post that was taken out immediately - so thats already taken care of :D
  • dru
    k2rider wrote:
    depends how much you wanted to spend really, do you want a full on integrated tt set up or do you want a base bar and some tri bars, as you have a set of tri bars i guess buying a flat base bar would be the best option

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26985

your current shifters would fit ok on this but if you wanted the bar end shifters you will need to get campy 9 speed as shimano wont be compatible without a shiftmate (which could actually work out cheaper). brake levers would probably cost you in the region of a tenner on ebay at the moment. if you do decide on bar end shifters give me a shout if your selling your current campy ergos as i could be interested.

Never heard of the shift mate thing - but will look into it.

I'm looking at just getting a base bar rather than all in one.

Not sure that my current shifters would fit/line up on these - so will look for some bar end shifters.

Question - can you use a 10 speed campag shifter with a 9 speed cassette? or does it HAVE to be only a 9 speed?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You can use bar end shifters in friction mode (ie not indexed), so it doesn't matter about indexing/Campag/shimano/10spd/9spd/etc
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dru
    Is friction the same as old school down tubes?

I must admit I like the indexing that the modern bikes have.

Could I set up a campag 10 speed lever to run in 9, meaning that I index 1-9 as 2-10 on a 10 lever bar end shifter?
  • k2rider
    your current shifters would fit on the ends of the base bar pefectly well, the 10-9 set up cant be easily achieved, if you buy a 10 speed bar end shifter why not buy a 10 speed casette as well? it will fit a modern 9 speed campag hub.

check this page out for the shiftmate.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/article-Shif ... ftmate.htm
    who cares?
  • dru
    Only got a 9 speed rear mech - looking at the prices for the 10 - I can't really afford that route

Also typically I just bought a second 9 speed cassette - so unless I can convert a 9 speed cassette into a 10 speed somehow (no idea if its possible as I'm new to all bikes)

I had a 12-23 and now use a 13-28, can I somehow make a 10 speed out of this or is it not possible?
  • k2rider
    unfortunately not.
    who cares?