Specialized Secteur Sport noobs first run

Aspman77
Aspman77 Posts: 92
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Got my Secteur yesterday but only got the chance to go out for a short run today. My thoughts as a noob were.

First time with clipless pedals, Ive got SPDs so I can walk off the bike.
Got shown the basics of using them in the shop. I thought I'd try them in the safety of the garage and out of sight. "You will fall off". Yup twice in the garage, tilt left, right foot out and vice versa. Caught the wall once ate the floor the second time. Any other noobs starting out with clipless it might be an idea to wear gloves and a lid even when practicing.

So I thought that I might as well go out. On the road I found it easier. I was unclipping very early but no dramas. Chap in the bike shop suggested pedaling with the flat of the unclipped foot and getting a bit of speed up before trying to clip in. That worked well for me.

The bike. I'd be lying if I thought it was a prettiest bike in the world but it's ok.
It's comfortable, much better than I expected. Only out for half and hour but no bum pain at all, I think it would kick in after an hour (I've not got padded shorts). No problem with vibration I was expecting a lot worse.

Hands are a bit sore but I'm putting that down to not being familiar with holding onto the hoods.

One of the guys at work got a road bike and thought it very flighty. Can't say I thought that, I found the bike very controllable and not at all nervous.

I'm glad I got a triple. Noob legs would struggle without it.

I was expecting more from the drivechain (I don't know the term - gears and stuff). I thought the movement needed from the levers was a lot more than I was expecting. Left hand was needing two movement to change up and down. My old mountain bike is one click one gear. I don't know if I'm wrong to expect that?
Rear mech made the occasional thunking change but again I'm not sure what to expect.

Big difference against the wind Vs the old MTB and sooo much faster :twisted:
Pretty please overall.

Chap in the bike shop (Nicholson's Dundee) was good and spent quite a while on Saturday going though the bike with me and making sure it was set up right.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    glad you liked it - re the gearshifting - the left hand (front mech) has two clicks as it can be used to "trim" the front mech when you are in unusual gear combos (i.e. big at the front and big at the rear) to stop the chain rubbing the front mech and making a racket - although that said you shouldn't really run those sort of gears (and with a triple you will rarely find that you are)

The sectaur looks ok to me - but `i would say that I have a roubaix! - you will be glad of that comfort when the bug bites and you are entering sportive events next summer!
  • Aspman77
    Cheers that's good to know it's a feature not a problem.
  • gkerr4
    so now we know you like it - lets start talking about upgrades!!

wheels first?

:lol:
  • Aspman77

I did ask in the shop about upgrades and wheels were what was mentioned.

I think I'd be looking at shifters. There is too much travel to change gear in the Sora for me. I'd rather have a heavier action with less travel.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aspman77 wrote:

I think I'd be looking at shifters. There is too much travel to change gear in the Sora for me. I'd rather have a heavier action with less travel.

Sounds like you should have gone Campagnolo :o

Good first impressions there, hope you enjoy it.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    much of what you said with first trip I had with my roubaix 3months ago... i bought padded shorts early and gloves - i think it helped me never have sore bum or hands.
    i dont have the triple - will be interested to hear how often you need the lowest gear...i have managed all my local hills no problem with a compact.
    enjoy it
  • gkerr4
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Aspman77 wrote:

Sounds like you should have gone Campagnolo :o

Good first impressions there, hope you enjoy it.

Oh yes!

I was just thinking that! - He will end up stripping it down to a frame and buying a nice Veloce groupset to go back on it!
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    so hows the 2nd and 3rd runs? are you loving it or struggling to be won over?
  • Aspman77
    Tell you when I've done them. I was really wanting to get out again yesterday but I had to pick up SWMBO from the train station and she required attention for the remainder of the day having been away at the Fringe for 24hr :roll:

With any luck I'll get out again soon but I'm out the house from 7-7 so finding time during the week is hard.
  • im very jealous

i tried to order it, was told delivery date in October, so went with Allez elite.

however, that allez elite is also some bike, i cant keep off it ... my chafing is proof !!
  • Got out again for a bit longer today.

I did 11 miles in 55min (no laughing). It's uphill against the wind all the way out but easy on the way back.
    The bike is still comfy moved my hands back from the hoods and they're not sore at all.
    Butt was sore for the first 3 miles but fine after that.

I'm still glad I got the triple but I'm still not sold on the shifters.

I think I need to adjust my cleats. I felt like my toes were pointing towards the bike. I started to feel like I was getting cramp in my calves but I'm not sure if that was due to the cleats or not being used to pulling up on the pedals.
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    picked mine up about 3 weeks ago :D about 180 miles so far in 15/20 mile bursts evenings and weekends in between mtb'ing......loving it.....first proper road bike ....due service now and shoulder operation will mean no cycling for a while :cry:
  • Would it be worth looking at used tiagra or 105 front shifters.

They look quite reasonable on Fleabay, but I'm unsure if they age badly.
  • gkerr4
    whats on it at the moment -is it Sora? - and if so is it 9 or 8 speed?

A change in 'speed' will cost a fair bit as there are other parts needed then.
  • It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Sora shifters
    Shimano FC-R453 triple (don't know if that is Sora)
    Sora front mech
    Tiagra rear mech
    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t (again don't know if that is a Sora component as such)
  • gkerr4
    Oh right - so it is 9 speed yeah?

The chainset is "non-group" - i.e. just a std shimano component.

the HG50 chain is (i think) tiagra spec. yeah you could look for some tiagra stuff - will change the whole shifter 'feel' as they operate differently.
  • I have sora shifters on my trek and I don't have a problem shifting with them at all. I ride on the hoods for the majority of the time and find the shifting quite assured. I actually like the firmness of the thumb shifters compared to the the lever shifters. I tried tiagra shifters when looking at bikes and wasn't to impressed with it. It felt quite flimsy to me.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I'm finding I need to reach further than is comfortable to shift the level far enough to make a clean change. I've not got particularly small hands either.

It'll maybe settle over time with more use.
  • maybe ride a bit then take for first new service - my bike performs a lot better now I've had the first service - cables tightened presumably - gear shift much slicker and easier now.
  • Mothyman wrote:
    maybe ride a bit then take for first new service - my bike performs a lot better now I've had the first service - cables tightened presumably - gear shift much slicker and easier now.

You could well be right. I wouldn't be doing anything before then anyway.

Getting the urge to tinker with the bike already. Bike bits are much cheaper than car bits or motorbike bits.
  • gkerr4
    Ahh - good - welcome to the fold

tinkering with your bike is a good wholesome natural trait - although it will cost you a fortune

and yes - the parts are miles cheaper than car or motorbike tuning (although everything has got a WHOLE lot more expensive in the past year or so!)
  • Checked the tyres the other day they were at 80psi. Sidewall says 115-120.

Got out the trusty Aldi £4.99 track pump and after a little fettling it worked admirably (for a cheapo bit of kit) to get the pressure up.

Got out tonight for a run and what a revelation. A bit more buzz through the bars but so much easier and so much faster.

I've no comp on it yet but using a bit of math I think my average is up 2mph from the last run just by pumping up the tyres.

Shifted the cleats inward to let my feet splay out a bit more and they're much more comfortable. The Shimano Sonoma shoes I'm finding very comfortable too.

It's just a shame now we're losing the evening daylight.
  • Was looking at secteur sport myself, particularly for the comfy riding position, but it's not getting a great press anywhere and the spec isn't great.

Has it got any better over time for you? I too was unimpressed with the gearshift on a test ride but then I haven't ridden much for a few years.
  • i've heard a few people say that the Sectuer isn't getting a great press but I can't find any press reviews on t'internet. but there's a quite few owners who say they like the bike.

The Secteur has only just made it onto the Specialized web site!

I bought a Secteur Elite on a C2W scheme (and a whim) a short while ago and I love it so far. It's a totally different beast to my Cannondale.

if anyone comes across a review or two can they please post here. good or bad reviews - i can take it :wink:

AB.
  • Micaab,

Glad you like the Secteur. My issue is the components on the Sport (budget doesn't stretch to the Elite) and I'm concerned I might find the Sora gear a little, well, $*@t after a few months riding.

Doesn't seem to solid to me.

But I love the riding position. So comfortable.
  • yeah i understand your concern over Sora. you don';t want to be riding it feeling like it isn;'t good enough after 2 months.

any chance you could buy on a Cycle to Work scheme? That was a big factor in me going for/affording the Elite.
  • I got mine through C2W.

I think I'm getting more used to the feel of things. I'm still finding that I'm missing down changes changes on the rear mech just because you have to move the lever through such a far arc.
    A change of hand position may help but I think I'll probably look more closely at changing the shifters.

I've nothing else to compare the bike to so it difficult to say if it's relatively good value or not.

I think the Sport has the same frame as the Elite so it might be a cheaper base to improve on.
  • gkerr4
    nickbagot wrote:
    Was looking at secteur sport myself, particularly for the comfy riding position, but it's not getting a great press anywhere and the spec isn't great.

Has it got any better over time for you? I too was unimpressed with the gearshift on a test ride but then I haven't ridden much for a few years.

the feel of the gearshift isn't "sectaur specific" though - all Sora equipped bikes will feel and shift like that so you can't blackmark the sectaur because of the sora shifters.

the spec seems OK for the money - on par with the allez and similar trek offerings - bikes do seem to have increased in cost while decreasing spec over the past 18-24 months right enough!
  • Aspman77 wrote:
    I think the Sport has the same frame as the Elite so it might be a cheaper base to improve on.

yeah think you're right on that - frame is the same on all the Secteur except the Comp so could be a path for upgrades later (shifters/mechs).
  • Out of interest, how tall are you/what frame size did you get?

I'm falling between 54/56 at 5ft 10in

And it sure is a pain about the increase price/decreased specs. They're all taking us for a ride. Then again, couldn't of even bought a secteur 2009... so I suppose there is some upside!