Helmet shelf life.....help me convince the missus

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
My Giro helmet has a date inside it Jan 06...presumably the date it was made.
Some LBS lads have told me helmets need replacing every 3 years...whether or not they've had a knock.
I told my good lady I need a new Specialized S works helmet for £100+.....she says its all codswollop and that the helmet will last for decades.....

over to you...my fellow roadies.....

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just in case it's true, tell her that she is putting a £100 value on your life and turn it round on her, make her feel guilty for you NOT buying...
  • Drop it (accidently :wink:) and tell her its spent. Only designed to be "used" once.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Drop it (accidently :wink:) and tell her its spent. Only designed to be "used" once.

Or better still prep it like a booby trap so that she knocks it off something and then look amazed that an unfortunate event could ruin your 'old' helmet. Then smile as you go buy the new one! :)
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Some interesting stuff "ont tinternet" about helmets! There are quite a lot of alternative views on the usefulness of them! I have to say I'm leaning to just riding with my cap on :wink:
    Dave
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most manufacturers warranty / crash replacement only runs to 3 years, but it's not as though your helmet is going to crumble to dust. It really depends on how much use it's had and particularly exposure to UV and Ozone - which degrade the materials.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    Pour some petrol on the inside of it - it will dissolve the polystyrene 8)
  • Bengdogg
    Bengdogg Posts: 383
    There was an article on here a while back about met and I think they said 8 years but I always replace mine at 3 years
    You just gotta peddle
  • Mothyman
    ...thanks fellas...I had planned to show her all the intelligent responses to my question....but the 'sabotage' idea has got me thinking.....mmmm.....
  • Dude Man up and just buy one!
  • Mothyman
    Dude Man up and just buy one!

...I 'manned up' when I bought the 1700 quid Roubaix comp, the 65 quid shorts, the 3 different jerseys, the SPD shoes and cleats, a new pump...all in the last 3 months......
    ..but yeah....I'm not being pushed around.......I'm as mad as hell and I aint gonna take it anymore.... :lol:
  • FFS, if you want to purchase a new helmet buy one.

If, on the other hand cash is tight, keep wearing the one you have.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mothyman wrote:
    ...thanks fellas...I had planned to show her all the intelligent responses to my question....but the 'sabotage' idea has got me thinking.....mmmm.....

And she won't see through that straight away? Whatever funny games you play, you'll lose out x10 in the long run........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mothyman
    ..i was only kidding Rolf F..hence the smiley...i've been married 21 years and I havent deceived her yet.... I was being sarcastic really...all the postings (except Slinson above) came up with ideas of how to get one over the wife rather than the technical blurb I was hoping to present her with .....
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I used reverse psychology on the missus when I bought my Hope led lights.
    She said "£180 on lights" I replied " its cheaper than my life dear" she then agreed.
    Try it you never know
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I change mine every year. Just like I used to when riding motorbikes, and they're +/- £500 a hit! :shock:
    I change my hard hat every year at work, too.
    UV and Ozone, plus the little dings and knocks they get on a regular basis... What price your head?

Change it.... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mothyman wrote:
    ..i was only kidding Rolf F..hence the smiley...i've been married 21 years and I havent deceived her yet.... I was being sarcastic really...all the postings (except Slinson above) came up with ideas of how to get one over the wife rather than the technical blurb I was hoping to present her with .....

Glad you proved my theory!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the new lid - it isn't needed yet, the old one is still fine. I'm sure there are better things (and more fun things) you could spend the money on. The argument that 'it's a small price for a head' could be used to justify buying a new lid every week; there is simply no need to. I think Skinsons post had everything you need to make a decision on.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    Tell her that 'JAN 06' is in fact the use by date, ;)
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)