Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    This week I fitted some carbon headset spacers and a new bottle cage, on today's ride I could clearly hear a continuous rattling coming from the headset or so I thought, after stopping a number of times and re-tightening the preload cap assuming I'd incorrectly refitted.

In the end I decided to take the bottle & pump off and try again, yep that got rid of most of the noise, then I took the saddle bag off and what do you know noise completely gone :D

Just goes to show it's pretty difficult to pin point where noises are actually coming from.

Oh and running my tyres at 120PSI over broken potholed roads didn't help either :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    A really annoying problem, old front deraileur siezed up so got a new one (same model, shimano tiagra). however, when installing this one if i move it across enough that it just rub with the chain in my lower teeth cogs then it rubs on the crank. it seems i either put it far across so that i rubs and scratches my crank or i deal with the fact that i lose my 3 big gears. I don't understand why the same model deraileur is doing this?
  • cycle123
    cycle123 Posts: 1
    Yep, did the same. Placed some lube on the contact points and all seems fine now. I don't think there is any other way round it.

This linkmay be of use to this sticky too.

I also experience this "clicking" noise on my right pedal and it only happens at around 12 to 2 o'clock position, if I rotate in reverse, there is no noise. I can feel the spring inside actually clicks and I can feel it on my feet while pedaling. I know one can put some lube into the spring but my pedal is LOOK PP types, similar to this:

http://xoomgear.com/manufacturer/Look/p ... PP206/978/

and the spring is actually "covered??", and I don't find any screw that I can pull the cover off in order to access the spring? Anyone expereince this pedal? If it cannot be fixed does it mean a new pedal is on the way?

Many thanks.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Creaking only evident out the saddle and creaking in time with the sway of the bike as I climbed.

It was the front skewer, I cleaned it and greased it and its been silence ever since.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    front " area " has developed a click and creak when under load or rough surface .bike 6 months old , bearings look ok and no play in headset . If I lift the bike onto its back wheel and slowly turn the bars all the way to left or right , there is an audible click towards the very end of the turn . Its not the cables or sleeves . ...

any advice taken as I dont have time to get it in LBS now and im doing the Spud Riley on Sunday and do NOT fancy the front end of my bike disintegrating on me going up or down hills !!
    :cry:

update ....hopefully this makes sense..

if you look down the steerer tube , the " click " happens at what would be the 1 and 11 o'clock position and no other .... am i right in thinking the race or bearing is stuffed ?
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Had an ongoing and worsening crank creak in recent weeks, turned out to be a result of some muppet (erm, that'll be me, then :oops:) not re-screwing the non-drive BB lockring fully home once the whole bike build had bedded in.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My annoying click might be solved. Thoroughly degreased, cleaned and oiled my left Dura Ace pedal. Including sticking GT80 down the axle. Seems to have done the trick.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • chugger
    chugger Posts: 11
    Nothing worse than a well maintained bike making a noise on a club run when everyone else's is silent. :oops:
    Here's hoping someone can get there head around this one. I have a Van Nicholas titanium Zephir that is making an irregular noise that is best described as the ticking sound you hear when hot metal is cooling down. Also only seems to start after 2 or 3 minutes of riding. Does not occur when out of the saddle - so it must be the seatpin or saddle itself? Aluminium seatpost thoroughly copper greased, bolt greased, rails and saddle lubed everywhere, noise persists. Have replaced bottom bracket and headset and copper greased every bolt on the bike. Even switched seatpost and saddle from my fixie which is silent and noise is still there.
    For the sake of my sanity and my better half, can anyone suggest anything, and believe me I am willing to try anything.
  • woody72
    woody72 Posts: 5
    ok so i've tightened it all up, replaced the bottom bracket & pedals clips & straps ; serviced the pedals and put in the missing bearings :x and i have the loudest creak i've heard in a long time. i can even hear it over my mp3 player! i have also removed the cranks and cleaned the contact points and alternatively gresaed the contact points.
    I've gone back over it all and looked for unwanted extra bits and i'm stumped any ideas?
    If it helps i'm riding a ribble winter frame with alpina carbon forks, shimano 500 wheels fitted with sram sprocketts,scott drop-ins,shimano 600 brakes, campag mirage chainset and mirage b/b, pushing quil pedals and christophe clips and straps (and what feels like the last sedis black chain in existence)
    You guys have been good in the past so here's hoping!
  • bendertherobot
    After cleaning my non drive pedal my non drive click transferred to the drive side.

After cleaning that one all clicks have completely gone.

Clean and relube your pedals everyone.
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes and bike maintenance, so im hoping that someone with more experience could potentially help.

During the last 2 or 3 days ive noticed a noise which is getting louder and louder. It started off as a clicking noise. I thought this may have been a stiff link which was slipping around the rear mech, but as i checked the chain i knew it couldnt be!

Yesterday, and especially today, the noise has turned into a creaking noise from the front. It seems to happen as i am pusing down with my left foot, especially when climbing hills or pulling off from lights.

Can anyone else who has had a similar problem please advise? It is however going back to Evans soon as i am not impressed with the chain rubbing at the front!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • bendertherobot
    zoglug wrote:
    I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes and bike maintenance, so im hoping that someone with more experience could potentially help.

During the last 2 or 3 days ive noticed a noise which is getting louder and louder. It started off as a clicking noise. I thought this may have been a stiff link which was slipping around the rear mech, but as i checked the chain i knew it couldnt be!

Yesterday, and especially today, the noise has turned into a creaking noise from the front. It seems to happen as i am pusing down with my left foot, especially when climbing hills or pulling off from lights.

Can anyone else who has had a similar problem please advise? It is however going back to Evans soon as i am not impressed with the chain rubbing at the front!

See post above.
  • I have a new Specialized Tarmac which has two problems.

One is a creak from the seatpost, caused by the frame being slightly misshapen, allowing the seatpost to move sideways slightly. Specialized is replacing the frame under warranty, but I wonder if the problem is common.

The other problem is very bad chain slap which is very noisy and has damaged the chainstay. I don't want this to be repeated with another frame. Any ideas? The shop says the chain is the correct length, and the chain stay is fitted with a thin protector.
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Think you'll find this guide from Park Tool covers almost every topic you've mentioned:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=98

It made me a much happier man......have a look....
  • Had a rythmic creaking - tracked down to Pedals - Shimano SPD-SL .. very annoying.. drop of chain lube now and again seems to sort it.
  • goonerkev
    goonerkev Posts: 83
    Hi,

I have had an annoying creak/click for a while now coming from the crank area i think! Shimano xt hollowtech II is what i am running and have recently just changed the bottom bracket and still the bloody noise is there, could it be the threads need facing and the cups are not alligned correctly? I ride a spesh stumpie the only other thing i think it could possibly be is the rear shock it seems to be worse when i stand to give it some rather than when im sitting its bugging the hell out of me raaaah!
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Seems ive come across a sound not listed yet! Had just put bike up on stand today just to check everything over as had it for nearly 2 weeks. Wheels are true, gear alignment and so on are all still fine, but i noticed that when i was turning the cranks i could hear a 'sploshing' noise come from the rear wheel. Can only hear it when the wheel first spins up, after that i guess the centrifugal force keeps it from sploshing anymore.

What the hell is it though? :S I have been out on a couple of very wet rides recently. Can't really tell if its coming from the rear hub or in the wheel itself, could water be trapped in the wheel, or is it lubricant in the hub? And is it something i should be worried about?
  • sylvanus
    Its probably water trapped inside the tires - surprising how much can seep in there after a really wet ride - take them off and check and if so shake / drip it out. Its probably also worth taking out your seatpost and tipping the frame upside down to make sure no water is sitting around the BB.
  • rokkala
    Thanks sylvanus, good that you said that actually, cos when i took off the seatpost and turned the frame upside down i must have had more than a pint of water come out :shock:

Apart from buying something like raceblades, is there a better way of keeping water from getting in the frame(other than not riding in the rain :P)? As in, best thing to seal up the seatpost with etc, or just a case of checking it all thoroughly after every rainy ride?
  • sylvanus
    Some people suggest using clear bath sealant round the seapost / tube joint etc - never tried it but may be worth trying - I've got drainage holes in all my frames or holes for the bolt that holds the cable guides - if its a carbon frame some people have even suggested drilling a small hole - which I'd be very cautious about and google lots before.

I always just assume there's water in their after a wet ride and drain it.... Hope that helps...
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    I have just cured a nasty clicking / creaking that came from the headset / stem area when going over bumps in the road: it was a cracked carbon seatpost - the sound travelled along the top tube (it is a Ti frame) and emerged from the front area. I replaced with an ally seat post as my confidence in carbon was a bit reduced!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    My handlebars creaked but only under pressure. As things have moved on from the old stems to the new h'bar clamps (mine is 4 bolts at the front), I was reluctant to put a thin film of grease (yes, grease) around the clamping point. However, I gave up trying to tighten them very evenly in rotation but with still no joy, I applied a tiny bit of grease to the clamping point on the h'bars and hey presto no creak.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • takl23
    takl23 Posts: 1
    When I'm out of the saddle, either climbing or sprinting I get a creak just after the right pedal hits the bottom of the stroke. Thoughts?

Tim
  • rokkala
    My headset had come slightly loose as i was was getting a slight knocking sound when rocking it with front brake on. Had just mentioned it in passing to my dad when he was in and when i went to fix it he said he'd already done it. Was out on it today and it seemed to have a new clicky/creaky sound sometimes. When i got back in, when i turned the bars both ways i get a click or clock noise when the bars turn to 45degrees in either direction.

Is this maybe just him overtightening the headset or something else?
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Rokkala - it could be overtightened It should only be tightened enough to just get rid of the play and no more. Was the correct method used? - loosen sem bolts, tighten down top bolt cautiously to just get rid of play (test by rocking bike with front brake applied), tighten stem bolts. If any parts are carbon the stem bolts shold be tightened with a torque wrench to the manufacturers reccommended torque. If this does not sort it then either the headset is dry/ full of road muck and needs dismantling, cleaning , re-greasing & re-assembling, or the headset is worn and needs replacing.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i noticed a clicking noise the other day while out . seemed to be coming from the chain/chainring. i ride with a mirage triple 9 speed . only happened on the middle ring . cleaned the bike today and noticed one of the teeth on the ring was missing . :( time to spend some money i think.might go for a compact .
  • I have an annoying clicking sound that only seems to happen when I'm going uphill or applying some serious quad power. Its always on the middle cog of the crank ( its a triple) and seems to be coming from the rear mech area. I've indexed the gear but it still seems to be happening.
    It never happens in the large or small crankset cog. its starting to drive me bonkers so please help guys if you can.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I've got a new Remedy,had it for 2 weeks done 20 gentle miles,now have a clicking on wheel rotation,whether I'm in or out of saddle,or pedalling or not,seems to be coming from wheels,have greased and slackened off Maxle and rear skewer,greased dropouts,checked brake discs,which are both true,no obvious contact with brake pads,help!
    Ian
    P.S. Sorry,should have been posted in MTB,but still interested to hear your ideas,as I've now tried it wthout brake pads,so it's not them
  • Sorted,greased the spoke crossovers and nipples,all quiet again.
    Ian
  • Bike: 2008 Bianchi HoC 928 Carbon SL Ultegra. 19 m/o and 1800 miles.
    Noise: Somewhere between a plastic creak and metallic tick. The noise is irregular, and can vary between random tick/creak and "chattering".
    Happens when: I am in the saddle and peddling, but curiously only appears after 5 mins or so of riding.

Everything is tight, greased and GT85'd as appropriate. I've just had it in the bike shop who have changed the BB and confidently declared the problem solved - it isn't.

Any ideas? It's driving me NUTS!

Cheers.