I Think I'm Reasonably fit?

holmeboy
holmeboy Posts: 674
OK guy's, I think I'm reasonably fit, can cycle 100 (hilly) miles, can run a (hilly) Half-Marathon and can run a 3 mile (600ft climb)Hill race. Why the hell then when I've walked a leisurely 15 miles (given reasonably hilly) with 4 other non cycling, mostly non running people have I done something to the top of my calf muscle at the back of the knee joint and can barely walk now? Only thing I can compare it to was when I've pulled a hamstring in the past. Answers on a postcard please. :(:o :shock: :? :x :oops: :cry: :roll: :!:

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    holmeboy wrote:
    OK guy's, I think I'm reasonably fit, can cycle 100 (hilly) miles, can run a (hilly) Half-Marathon and can run a 3 mile (600ft climb)Hill race. Why the hell then when I've walked a leisurely 15 miles (given reasonably hilly) with 4 other non cycling, mostly non running people have I done something to the top of my calf muscle at the back of the knee joint and can barely walk now? Only thing I can compare it to was when I've pulled a hamstring in the past. Answers on a postcard please. :(:o :shock: :? :x :oops: :cry: :roll: :!:

shit luck is probably why, over training maybe muscles were fatigued too much

get well soon, keep stretching it out gently
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Your body hasn't adapted to walking 15 miles yet?? - with 3-6 months of regular 5 - 10 mile walks, you'd have found a 15 mile walk much more tolerable. I used to "regularly" (once a month ish) do 12-15 mile walks (before knee injuries) (both Fell/Mountain Hiking and flat walking) - but I'd done years of 3 - 7 milers before-hand, so my lower limbs were used to the demnds.
  • Mettan wrote:
    Your body hasn't adapted to walking 15 miles yet?? - with 3-6 months of regular 5 - 10 mile walks, you'd have found a 15 mile walk much more tolerable.

He runs hilly half marathons (13 miles) but his body hasn't adapted to walking 15 miles?

Are you on crack?
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I's thi's a rhetorical que'stion?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mettan wrote:
    Your body hasn't adapted to walking 15 miles yet?? - with 3-6 months of regular 5 - 10 mile walks, you'd have found a 15 mile walk much more tolerable.

He runs hilly half marathons (13 miles) but his body hasn't adapted to walking 15 miles?

Are you on crack?

Ha, made me laugh out loud. God is airborne.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Been thinking about it the last few day's (tried cycling to work this morning and only got 1/2 mile before had to Limp? home) and I think it may have been down to the footware.Was wearing my steeltoecap work boots, its all the wife's fault she and her friend want to walk the West Highland Way next year and of coarse that includes me and other hubby, so now in training. Upto edinburgh to buy walking gear (including boots). If only I could spend as much and as quickly on mee bike! (most of my cycling gear is from Aldi/Lidl). Going to try cycle again tommorrow! :roll: