Noise from rear of bike

peloton7000
peloton7000 Posts: 25
edited September 2009 in Workshop
The last couple of times been out of my Boardman, can hear a rattling noise from the rear, especially over bumpy roads.

Took the wheel off today and it seems to be caused by the rear cassette. Noticed that a few of the smaller cogs have slight movement. Is this a sign that the cassette is worn or just needs tighten up? Bike's done 2k miles.

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if there is slight play in each set of cogs in the direction of rotation, it may mean there is damage to the splines of the freehub body. if it is play in and out of the axle direction it may just mean the cassette cap is loose. A loose cap will also help wear the splines.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Check that there isn't any play of the freehub body/hub interface. I had a bloody annoying creak/crack etc. Turned out that a little bit of play had developed, only needed nipping up (two 5mm hex keys in the axle) and hey-presto, silence.

I'd covered about 1400 miles on my wheels, maybe a little less.

Worth checking out fella :wink:
  • if there is slight play in each set of cogs in the direction of rotation, it may mean there is damage to the splines of the freehub body. if it is play in and out of the axle direction it may just mean the cassette cap is loose. A loose cap will also help wear the splines.

Its play in the direction of the wheel rotation
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if there is slight play in each set of cogs in the direction of rotation, it may mean there is damage to the splines of the freehub body. if it is play in and out of the axle direction it may just mean the cassette cap is loose. A loose cap will also help wear the splines.

Its play in the direction of the wheel rotation

possible that you have worn the splines on the freehub body. This does happen eventually anyway.

If you don't have the tools to take your cassette off, then take the rear wheel to your lbs and ask them to take a look.

you may need a new freehub and possibly a new cassette, depending on the wear on both.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like the cassette lockring wasn't on tight enough, leading to the sprockets moving and 'fretting' the freehub body. If done up properly, they simply don't come loose - yours sounds like its been assembled incorrectly and any damage should be down to Halford to rectify.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If it is a 10 speed cassette on a 9 or 10 speed compatible aluminium splined freehub body then the cogs can eat into the splines. This happened on some wheels I had, which I used with a 10 speed cassette. Steel bodied Shimano freehubs are fine, or 10 speed only freehubs are fine (they have taller splines).

However, I still wouldn't expect them to be loose, just to have dug in a bit, the looseness suggests a loose lockring (as above). I have had one of mine come loose from time to time, the lockring usually needs tightening to 40nm I think, in the end I had to use threadlock as even correct torquing didn't resolve it.
  • Got a tool off a mate today, lock ring undone just by hand, tightened back to 40Nm and all is well. :D