Twitter etiquette..?

jimmcdonnell
jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
As a VERY grudging new Twitterer I notice that the 'nearby' button on my iPhone Twitter app shows tweets from other BikeRadar forumites - does etiquette allow a "hello!" Tweet or is that just a bit too much like being stalked?

I'm still not convinced about Twittering, but my school wants to encourage new ways of communicating with the students so I'm trying it out...
Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'm still not convinced about Twittering, but my school wants to encourage new ways of communicating with the students so I'm trying it out...

The headteacher isn't, by any chance, a complete buffoon who should never be allowed in a school, much less run one, is he/she?
  • Given that my forum name is my own, as is my profile picture, it would be impolitic of me to answer that...

The phrase "hell in a handbasket" wouldn't go amiss though.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • finchy
    Given that my forum name is my own, as is my profile picture, it would be impolitic of me to answer that...

The phrase "hell in a handbasket" wouldn't go amiss though.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let me guess, phrases such as "pupil-centred outcomes" are common currency in your school.
  • I keep hearing "radical" and "drive up standards" over the last few months. Inside my head I keep hearing "who will save me from this ship of fools?"

I'd move schools but it's the same everywhere. I see my role as subversively undermining all the meaningless Educational doublespeak while trying to sneakily turn out well-adjusted young adults at the end of their secondary schooling. It ain't easy though...

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    As a means of communicating with the students; has just talking to them been ruled out then?
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    That's fraught with danger communicating like that! I work in a school & some staff members have students as facebook friends. Needless to say they have been 'advised' about that.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Don't get me started... Phones are banned in school, so what's being suggested by a member of Senior Management? Give them iPhones so they can (and I quote) "document their work, take photos of their progress, record interviews, get opinions, video themselves evaluating their work..."

Of course they won't use them for texting, going on Facebook etc, oh no.

cf. my earlier 'Hell in a handbasket' comment...

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Feel sorry for you mate. Don't you just love management!?!?!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • finchy
    Give them iPhones so they can (and I quote) "document their work, take photos of their progress, record interviews, get opinions, video themselves evaluating their work..."

:x :cry: :x :cry:

And how much will that little project cost then?

:roll: :cry: :x
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    That'll cost about 2 teachers
  • finchy
    You're probably right.
  • School budgets are odd beasts, there's never really a shortage of cash but it seems to come from a hundred different purses which can only be spent on specific things. For example we have a budget equal to about 4 teachers but it can only be spent on furniture. I just bid for a class set of laptops and was successful, so that was £20,000 (a small teacher) but it came from a specifically IT-technological funding source.

Educating students is our overt primary function but you KNOW someone's making a shedload of cash out of everything Educational, somewhere along the way.

We're just becoming an Academy (long story, don't ask, but it's not because we're a failing school), and the private charitable organisation who will be running us have £43 million to give us - and despite their protests, you won't convince me they're not turning a profit somehow...

An interesting thread, but no answer to my Twitter question!

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Can't answer your twitter question as I don't tweet, but isn't encouraging social networking between students and teachers likely to lead to some "Inappropriate" relationships?
  • pepelepew
    pepelepew Posts: 180

I just bid for a class set of laptops and was successful, so that was £20,000 (a small teacher)

How much for a large teacher? Do you get paid by the inch?

I'll get my coat.....
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Personally I don't think pupils/students should be able to contact teachers 24/7. Teachers have enough to do outside of class hours without being "encouraged" to converse with their pupils outside of school as well. Let the poor sods have their free time. By all means have a central school e-mail addy where queries can be forwarded to the relevant person, but 24 hour a day teaching is taking things way too far.
  • isn't encouraging social networking between students and teachers likely to lead to some "Inappropriate" relationships

I suppose the essentially hidden nature of the communications could lead to that, but social networking as we know it isn't really what these fools intend - they think that students can ask questions about coursework, get advice, email essays etc. It's doomed to fall on its arse I reckon. Anyway, you could equally argue that any face-to-face interaction between teacher and pupil (that wasn't 'chaperoned' with other staff/students) could lead to 'inappropriate' relationships. As indeed it has in the past. All students and staff have mobiles already, schools aren't (as far as we know) sinking under a wave of illicit beastliness?

Oh yes, always have been. We had an English teacher at our school, big fat woman, cost us a fortune. Had to go. Tiny, Kylie Minogue-esque staff, that's the way forward.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    isn't encouraging social networking between students and teachers likely to lead to some "Inappropriate" relationships

I suppose the essentially hidden nature of the communications could lead to that, but social networking as we know it isn't really what these fools intend - they think that students can ask questions about coursework, get advice, email essays etc. It's doomed to fall on its ars* I reckon. Anyway, you could equally argue that any face-to-face interaction between teacher and pupil (that wasn't 'chaperoned' with other staff/students) could lead to 'inappropriate' relationships. As indeed it has in the past. All students and staff have mobiles already, schools aren't (as far as we know) sinking under a wave of illicit beastliness?

Oh yes, always have been. We had an English teacher at our school, big fat woman, cost us a fortune. Had to go. Tiny, Kylie Minogue-esque staff, that's the way forward.

Kylie could teach me anything she wants..... :D
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Can't answer your twitter question as I don't tweet, but isn't encouraging social networking between students and teachers likely to lead to some "Inappropriate" relationships?

My thoughts exactly.
    Sure it's aim is for work but it seems a bad idea on a number of levels.
    If you see a teacher and student chatting in the corridor regularly, eyebrows would be raised. Seems a bad idea to encourage students to chat to teachers socially.

Also it's harsh on the teachers and the students, what teacher when they get home wants to field 30 questions from students about the latest essay? Kind of ruins your evening.

It's like professionals who don't turn the blackberry off at home. End up working all day and night as e-mails get sent and received.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    dmclite wrote:
    isn't encouraging social networking between students and teachers likely to lead to some "Inappropriate" relationships

I suppose the essentially hidden nature of the communications could lead to that, but social networking as we know it isn't really what these fools intend - they think that students can ask questions about coursework, get advice, email essays etc. It's doomed to fall on its ars* I reckon. Anyway, you could equally argue that any face-to-face interaction between teacher and pupil (that wasn't 'chaperoned' with other staff/students) could lead to 'inappropriate' relationships. As indeed it has in the past. All students and staff have mobiles already, schools aren't (as far as we know) sinking under a wave of illicit beastliness?

Kylie could teach me anything she wants..... :D

Ohh err thats left some dodgy imagess in my head.
    Whatever you do don't do a google image search for "kylie teacher"...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • finchy
    nolf wrote:
    Ohh err thats left some dodgy imagess in my head.
    Whatever you do don't do a google image search for "kylie teacher"...

Couldn't resist, had to do it. From google.co.uk image search - the first one. I like.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Do kids not go out anymore?
    Do they just stay in and have cyber friends and cause cyber trouble?
    I remember when chat rooms were very bad places for kids to hang out.
    I don't see face book as being any different to chat rooms really.
    We shouldn't encourage an online life we should encourage more face to face interactment.
    Iphones for kids what next a car so they can drive to school instead of walking?