Country roads

RoadMeridaBen
RoadMeridaBen Posts: 265
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I was cycling down a country road about 3 miles from my house the other day, and theres a couple of farms each side anyway, I timed it badly and the cows were on the road, must have been atleast 50 of the buggers. So i get to the brow of the hill and stop as soon as I see them at this time 3 cars have pulled infront of me to start queueing.

Maybe its me feeling a bit vulnerable on a bike but i decided to hide behind one of the cars just incase i get bumped into lol, so the farmer comes down and starts swearing about cyclists being a pain and how they shouldnt be on the road, the language was a bit more colourful than that :P

So he says to me after i gave him a bit of abuse about how his cows shouldnt be on the road, "you go first" so i pull ahead of the cars and start powering up the hill about 20 seconds later i hear one of the cars coming from behind, about 2ft away from me is a low of cow poo, the driver purposly drove through it flinging it all over one side of my bike and all over my right leg, I was so angry i started chasing the guy up the hill being angry i made the rookie mistake of not taking not of the car reg, long story short i ended up using all my water to wash the crap off my legs and cycled home with one sock and a bad mood.

Anyone else had experiences with tossers like that?
10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
25 - 53:07 R25/7
Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152

Comments

• sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    I about 2ft away from me is a low of cow poo, the driver purposly drove through it flinging it all over one side of my bike and all over my right leg, I was so angry i started chasing the guy up the hill being angry i made the rookie mistake of not taking not of the car reg, long story short i ended up using all my water to wash the crap off my legs and cycled home with one sock and a bad mood.

:lol: Sorry, not a helpful comment, but that is quite funny :lol:

I use country roads a lot, and have never had a major problem. Is always the odd w**ker that can ruin your day though.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ... I think your mistake is to argue back... I operate a policy of a) usually having either my ipod or a radio on the go, so i generally cant hear what people say anyway :D and b) I just usually smile at them, and think to myself I'm getting fit and healthy, they on the other hand are not, so im gonna live longer... this feeling of moral superiority generally improves my mood no end, so I dont feel any need to join in their angst

... also smiling at them usually confuses them anyway, increases their angst and shortens their life even further... 8)
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Anyone else had experiences with tossers like that?

Yeah. Everyday. Don't let the buggers grind you down.

Only being three miles away from home, I hope you freshed up, got more water and went back out?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Washed my bike down (took bloody ages) went for a shower and spent a few hours being angry. Ah well the odds of it happening again are low :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    You're talking sh1te!! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    i ended up using all my water to wash the crap off my legs and cycled home with one sock and a bad mood.quote]

Don't you mean you were in a bad Moooooood?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I usually go for a ride along the road after the cows have been out, the shit is every where, and i ride real slow through it, but still have to wash the bike when i get home, other than that, never had any problems with cows or farmers in general, most are actually quite polite, must be your area, or that I know the local ones, and some a bit further afield.

It's usually best policy to keep your cool and not argue, even if they may be sort of right, they will catch you out one day with there huge tractors and trailers.