Sports Supplements - ok to take together?

Smonks
Smonks Posts: 40
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Is it ok to take the following together...

Creatine Powder
L-Glutamine Powder
CLA

I hit the gym most mornings, road.mountain bike ride and rock climb, and as a vegetarian thought these supplements might aid muscle development and recovery.

I also take Glucosamine and Cod Liver oil in Liquid form to protect my joints (I do a lot of mountain walking/scrambling).

Is there any reason why I can't take the 3 above together in one drink?

I've bought from Natures Best - would anyone recommend any other suppliers for supplements such as these?
Road: Trek 1.7
Off-road : Santa Cruz Blur XC
Commute: Dawes Edge One SS

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    What vegtable do you get Cod liver oil from? :lol:
    Mix it all & take with a meal - be careful with teh creatine tho' not recommended for long periods of time as far as I know
  • Smonks
    Smonks Posts: 40

:lol::lol: Aye, I guess you could say I'm one of those 'pesky'tarians who eats fish on the odd occasion when out - there's only so many spinach and ricotta cannelloni's one can eat when out :lol:

Found some veggie alternatives to cod liver oil.

Looked into the creatine stuff, sounds a bit dodgy and not what I'm after so cancelled that from my order - cheers for the heads up!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Probably better off buying 'blends'...
    I flit between a few different ones, namely NRG's 'The Transporter' (contains all of your above choices). BSN's 'CellMass' (similar) or 'NO Explode'.
    Creatine had to be cycled when taken 'neat', but it is way passed that, now, when used in blends.
    I'd advise a Protein blend, too, perhaps USN's 'Pure Protein IGF-1' and Omega 3, instead of Cod Liver Oil.
    Google them all, see what you think... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    Smonks wrote:
    Looked into the creatine stuff, sounds a bit dodgy and not what I'm after so cancelled that from my order - cheers for the heads up!

I found creatine to be ok and is 'allegedly' totally harmless although it's only supposed to be any good for short inteval based sports. From reading up on it most think it less beneficial for endurance sports like marathon running and distance cycling.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Does creatine really speed you up as much as you guys are trying to make out? I would have thought glutamine before bed, if anything, and fast-acting protein post-ride would be the way to go.
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    If you want a good source for suppliments etc without breaking the bank, have a look at MyProtein. Top notch ingredients without the price, as everything is supplied in pouches instead of expensive plastic tubs. I switched to them from Maximuscle a while back, saving a fortune. (11.49 a kilo for whey protein as compared to 37.00 a kilo from maximuscle). They do pretty much anything you would need. If you use promotion code MP150458 you will get a discount off your first order.
  • Penn
    Penn Posts: 22
    I am a vegan myself, so I can relate to your desire for Creatine, for veggies it has shown to have a larger impact on us then on omnivores due to having close to 0 of the stuff in our diets, even in long races research has shown that it has a impact on endurance.

I am doing a degree in Sports Science and was lucky enough to get lots of advice on supplements from my professors, here is what I take:

1) Maximuscle Viper
    2) MyProtein Soya blend.
    3) MyProtein Creapure.

And they seem to do the trick for me.

If you want to see all the scientific research, look at:

Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance 6th Edition.
  • Cheers for the advice guys, and for the suggestions...

Penn, the Soya Blend you refer to, is that the Soy Protein Isolate - Supro stuff?
  • Penn
    Penn Posts: 22
    Aye thats the one:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders ... n-isolate/

Its just as good as any of the others, any about a quarter of the price. I put mine in my a blender with a banana and soy milk for a excellent cycling shake.

Other soy powders, specially the own brand Holland and Barret one also contain a huge amount of vitamins and minerals, which can be good for exercise, although I am unsure of the biologically availability, personally I like to take a multi-vitamin separate from my sports supplements. [/url]
  • They're not all as expensive as Maximuscle.

For value I guess it's hard to beat MyProtein but there are other options. Sci-Mx and Reflex are two such choices, and they even do energy drinks too!
  • Smonks wrote:

:lol::lol: Aye, I guess you could say I'm one of those 'pesky'tarians who eats fish on the odd occasion when out - there's only so many spinach and ricotta cannelloni's one can eat when out :lol:

Glucosamine supplements are usually made up of crushed up prawn and other seafood shells, so not exactly veggie either! Prawn shells are one of the highest natural sources of glucosamine, so if you eat them, don't peel them. Veggie alternatives to cod liver oil such as linseed oil are not as effective at supplying DHA and EPA, they are largely a source of ALA which yuor body can convert to DHA/EPA but it isn't very efficient.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Smonks wrote:

Glucosamine supplements are usually made up of crushed up prawn and other seafood shells, so not exactly veggie either! Prawn shells are one of the highest natural sources of glucosamine, so if you eat them, don't peel them. Veggie alternatives to cod liver oil such as linseed oil are not as effective at supplying DHA and EPA, they are largely a source of ALA which yuor body can convert to DHA/EPA but it isn't very efficient.

:shock:
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    Smonks wrote:

Seriously. I never peel prawns or shrimps, there's a lot of flavour and nutrition in the shell, glucosamine and calcium as well. I haven't gone as far as scoffing the head yet but when I was in China it was pretty common to eat the legs and suck the insides out of the head. We're very wasteful in the UK.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Seriously. I never peel prawns or shrimps, there's a lot of flavour and nutrition in the shell, glucosamine and calcium as well. I haven't gone as far as scoffing the head yet but when I was in China it was pretty common to eat the legs and suck the insides out of the head. We're very wasteful in the UK.

+1 for eating prawn shells (except the heads). They're crunchy but taste ok and if you marinade your prawns (red thai curry or garlic, olive oil & lime) then they taste even better.
  • I take Glucosamine and Creatine, but best to take Glucosamine on an empty stomach as it is taken up better then. By taking Creatine at the same time the creatine can block the receptors for glutamine uptake. I think I read this in a scientific paper - can't find the link now tho!