Sweet bit of single track visible from M62 - Anyone know it?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited September 2009 in Routes
Driving west along the M62 as you leave saddleworth moor you cross over a bridge.

From the bridge you can see some single track running down the side of the valley.

Its just before you reach junction 21 or 22. Im not sure which but its signposted for Shaw

Looks sweet as... I was wondering if anyone knows it and how to get to it.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Don't know it personally but it sounds like the pennine bridleway, goes all the way from Buxton to north of Burnley and beyond.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Take a look at Ordnance Survey Get-a-map and Google Maps (using Satellite view) to get a look at where the trail goes and the type of terrain it goes through.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • elchenuk
    elchenuk Posts: 24
    Yes its before 21 and its the pennine bridleway, there are some nice loops round there skirting past Rochdale and Shaw.
  • trav3
    trav3 Posts: 14
    the singletrack you can see on the side of the valley comes off the pennine bridal way and heads down and under the bridge . It heads towards Hollingworth Lake and comes out near caravan park . Or you can veer off left and come up on other side of motorway .There are loads of tracks dotted about this area its a great place just to explore ,you can get over to castleshaw and further if you wish .There are some tough climbs and rough but fast descents
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Mark909 wrote:
    Driving west along the M62 as you leave saddleworth moor you cross over a bridge.

From the bridge you can see some single track running down the side of the valley.

Its just before you reach junction 21 or 22. Im not sure which but its signposted for Shaw

Looks sweet as... I was wondering if anyone knows it and how to get to it.

The track goes down to Hollingworth Lake.
    You can hit it from the mast at the top of the hill on the 62 (J22),
    or if you come off the M62 at J21 and head for Shaw then Denshaw there is a cut off about a mile up the hill on the left for Odgen and Piethorne resevoir, or further up on the very top of the hill a path runs across, left takes you to Odgen and Piethorne and right takes you to Crompton Moor and Buckstones Quarry.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Pretty much what has been said, easiest way to get up that way is park up at Hollingworth lake and head up through Rakewood and under the viaduct, then bear right up the hill and you'll hit the area in question.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I think were going up there tomorrow, If i can remember, or be arsed I will get a couple of pictures.
  • http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 0064_n.jpg

Nice ride - if you go past Hollingworth and under the motorway bridge, follow the path round and go back over the motorway, the path takes you towards Blackstone Edge.