Automatic gear shifting....

13»

Comments

• smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    Shimano Nexus Di2 comes with automatic shifter aswell as a manual option contorlled on something similar to a flightdeck, although its not availiable in the UK :(

the only bike i know this system comes on is the Colnago CX70 Ferrari and can pick one up for about $2000.00
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    what happened to that proto colnago unit with the electronic button shifts that were being trialed a year or so ago? it was class!... it would trim the front mech to match the rear. granted, it ran on batteries and would ghost shift when the batteries ran out, but what a good idea!, you could put the shift buttons anywhere....... make that wireless and you too could look like a chimp by slapping your helmet to shift up, and your backside to go down! :lol:

..... oh, and i own a bmw e36 m3 too, i aint no chav!
    :roll:

i wont go into the petrol vs devil fluid debate! :lol:

(torque pulls caravans!) :wink:
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    there is an automatic shifting bike hub it is made by shimano and here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5Js4YR ... L&index=29

sorry if this link already exists.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    who said something about you cant have servos in brakes? what the hell have shimano doen with slx, xt and saint then?!?
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    clarkson wrote:
    who said something about you cant have servos in brakes? what the hell have shimano doen with slx, xt and saint then?!?
    Used the name servo, to describe something totally different.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Servo wave.

Is an article in this months WMB on the future of MTBs....
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    yeah a servo is a vaccum assisted diaphram so it requires less effort to brake, theyre big and heavy and have no place on a mtb

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Anonymous
    Servo:
    A control system that converts a small mechanical motion into one that requires much greater power

Hmm, by that definition, Shimano really isn't lying about it's servo wave.

However, I think the suggestion was that we should have power-assisted brakes like on cars.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano servo wave refers to how the leverage changes throughout the stroke. A fancy name for that! Basically low leverage, fast pad movement to start, then vice versa to increase 'power'
  • Anonymous
    I'm aware, Sonic. I was a big fan of their servo wave V-brakes.
    But, according to that definition, it really IS a servo. I always thought they were just using random, techy sounding names.
  • Hercule Q
    but do we REALLY need assistance when braking?

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    NO
  • Hercule Q
    do we REALLY need auto gears on a bike?
    Is it REALLY that hard to tell your thumb to click a lever?

pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Herqule, I'd argue that we don't really need automatic gearboxes on cars either.
    Ah well, on cars at least, when we finlly go electric, we won't need gearboxes, in the traditional sense, at all.
  • Hercule Q
    yeehaamcgee i agree buut the torque converter is a wonderful peice of engineering because it increases the amount of torque generated when you pull away.

but i still stand by my point of automatic and assisted this and that is being lazy and takes the skill out of riding/driving

pinkbike
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I think auto gears in driving is great for all those awful drivers gives them less to think about while they carefully carve lanes on round abouts with out indicating...

On a bike its a bit different. i dont think a sytem could be inteligent enough to predict bike gears, on cwm there is a section where i drop from a very high gear to first or second to get up a 3-4metere climb could an auto predict it fast enough no, as you need to change before you are there.
  • Anonymous
    We also change gears for different reason on mountain bikes.
    We don't always do it to match cadence to forward speed.