Tour of the peak

Yorkshirecoal
Yorkshirecoal Posts: 52
I've been volunteered for the tour of the peak in October, the full 96 miles. :shock:
Just wondering if anyone else was brave/stupid/mad or determined enough to do it, or has anyone got any experience??

I usually ride 80-90 miles round the bottom end of the peak, Bakewell, Matlock, Belper and so on but I know the hills are a bit bigger up north.
*Insert something witty or profound here*

Comments

• shipperz
    shipperz Posts: 22
    I've also entered this - looking forward to it.

I've done a few recce rides to confirm it's going to be a bit of a challenge! It'll be a beautiful ride though if we get a decent day, which I'm sure we will late October in the Peaks ;)

I rode the section from Ladybower reservoir over to HolmeFiirth (which has a couple of steep, nasty climbs on it) then up Holme Moss, which was tough but not as tough as expected - I think I was lucky not to get the dreaded headwind on that day. I headed back over the Snake Pass (not part of the course) back to Ladybower.

Also done a ride over Winnat's Pass and through Edale. It's a steep climb, nearly fell off sideways I was going so slow. You get a brief respite at the top of Winnats before climbing again up Mam Tor then there's a steep and potentially treacherous decent. Will need to get the brakes sorted, especially if its wet. I had them on full all the way down.

Haven't done the Cat and FIddle climb yet but I'm told its not too bad. Long but not too steep.
  • I'll see you there. Done the Cat and fiddle before and not found it bad. It's a long climb but not steep. A bit like going up the snake from Glossop really. I've been in the Hope/castleton area today at work and the wind blowing down Winnets was not nice. Hope it's not like that in October, or i'll have to get behind someone :wink:
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Entered 96 miler - anybody got a linkl to a route map, or can tell me what order the climbs come in?
  • alright I'm doing the 96er too, my first sportive in the UK although I did L'Etape this year. Simon there is a map of the course on the kilotogo website where you entered.

I used to live in Edale so I know some of the course...which psycologically could be a disadvantage. I've been up Winnats before but that was on a moutain bike and it was hard enough on that!!! the descent down from Mam Nick is superb, although will be a little dodgy if wet...which there is a 90/10 chance of in late October!!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I'm trying to decide whether to do the short or long distance.
    This will be my first Sportive since I got back into cycling this year. And I've no idea how long it may take to finish.
    My best guess based on a relatively flat 75 mile ride I did back in July would be about 5.5 to 6 hours?
    Unfortunately I haven't been doing any riding since July as I'm in training for the Great North Run, so I will only have four weeks to get some hills under my belt.

Anyone got any idea of the average rider time for the full distance?

I'd rather not finish last after everyone else has gone home!
  • Two of us are looking to do it in around 7 hours. That should work out at around 13MPH.
    Quite managable when you look at the down hills and slightly flat bit between Edale and the start of Strines. Then take it easy on Strines. We really don't intent to push hard. :)
    Everyone esle I have spoke to is also aiming for this.
  • the fact I have no idea how long it will take me indicates I shouldn't be doing it!! hopefully won't take me as long as this years L'Etape did!!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Cheers, Sounds like I'm wildly optimistic for my average speed then!
    I'll wait and see how I feel after the Great North before deciding which distance.
    I notice on the entry list that not many are doing the shorter run.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Anything under 7 hours will be a good time.

I did Spud Riley 100 miler earlier this year and just sneaked under 7 hrs, similar terrain, hills a bit shorter though.

The descent from Mam Nick is very fast, bit bendy at the top, but the last bit is straight and steep and fast!

Thanks for map links also.
  • Thanks for the bikehike link.

I was just trying to make sense of the elevation profile and realised that the route is the wrong way around, unless I've misunderstood the kilotogo website?

My understanding is that you do the Cat and Fiddle, Winnats and Holme Moss climbs in that order, right?

Is Mam Nick just before the decent to Edale?
  • shipperz wrote:
    Thanks for the bikehike link.

I was just trying to make sense of the elevation profile and realised that the route is the wrong way around, unless I've misunderstood the kilotogo website?

My understanding is that you do the Cat and Fiddle, Winnats and Holme Moss climbs in that order, right?

Ah, but then noticed bikehike has a handy reverse route function!