A40 Cycle Superhighway

andyealing
andyealing Posts: 34
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Does any one use the A40 cycle path for commuting? The section starting from Hangar Lane going towards Shepherds Bush has been provisionally suggested as one of London Mayor Boris Johnson's cycle superhighways.

I'd like to hear people's views about the route and whether there are better roads locally that could be used as a superhighway.

[/code]

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    That'll be pleasant and reassuring to ride along that road (not!), even if you are seperated physically from the traffic (which I'm not sure is the plan right?). :roll:
  • Yet to find a cyclist who uses the existing route reguarly let alone who actually likes it. Sounds like it could be a waste of money trying to upgrade it.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    From the artist's impression on the website these 'super highways' look exactly like normal cycle lanes on the side of a road - only difference is they're blue.
  • I used it twice (once in each direction) and it put me off completely.

When I do commute by bike I drive 40 miles to Ickenham and then cycle the the last 20. The problem with the A40 is that being on the road is terrifying and being on the "cycle path" is confusing and annoying. It's not always clear what is a cycle route and what is a pavement, the route switches from side to side and you have to mix with pedestrians and give way at side roads.

After looking at Google Maps I now cycle down the A4020 through Uxbridge, Southall, Ealing and Acton, then through Paddington and up to Camden. It's a much better route.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Yup, most people on cycles use the Uxbridge road, the money should be spent improving that frankly, especially through action town and shep bush bush bush (where the lead up onto the roundabout that has just been made even more friendly for cars and less friendly for cyclists).