Is my track pump broken, or am I just stupid?

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
It's a topeak joe blow sport 2.

I'm using the presta side of the twin head, as I'm pretty sure the big brass valves with the screw down bit on my tyres are presta.

You have to force the pump down to get any air in, and the guage seems to register pressures that have no relation to the tyre, like if I disconnect it, then start again, it starts from 0psi, which can't be right.

Is there something really simple I'm not doing, or do I need to take it back to the shop?
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Are you UNscrewing the little nut on the presta valve before trying to put air in?
    DON'T jam the pump head onto the valve as far as it will go. This can stop air from going in the tube.
    Are you locking the pump head onto the presta valve with the little lever(for lack of a better word)?
    If it's a fairly new pump I doubt that it's broken. That would be a very rare problem, although not entirely out of the question.
    Ask a friend, who knows pumps, to give you a hand.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I have to pump mine a couple of times to get it to give a true reading (comparing to lbs pump). If you have near max pressure its always stiffer to pump than if your reflating until you get near max pressure. probably ok but if your not happy take it back
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Do you have the 'lock' lever on before you try and put it on the valve? (should be off).
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Onan wrote:
    It's a topeak joe blow sport 2.

I'm using the presta side of the twin head, as I'm pretty sure the big brass valves with the screw down bit on my tyres are presta.

You have to force the pump down to get any air in, and the guage seems to register pressures that have no relation to the tyre, like if I disconnect it, then start again, it starts from 0psi, which can't be right.

Is there something really simple I'm not doing, or do I need to take it back to the shop?

I have the same pump and had the same problem first time I used it for my New Tricross. It was fine on my MTB.

All that was needed was to make sure the small screw on the valve is undone, but dont press it in. Then place the correct head over the valve with the small lever pointing along the hosepipe, then pull lever "up" i.e. away from the valve, this should lock it, then start pumping, should be sorted. If its not, try lever in opposite direction, and try pumping again.
    If this does not work, you need someone to check out what is happening.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Onan
    Thanks for your replies. Turns out I was just being stupid. Having only ever used schrader valves before, I didn't realise presta valves had a built in cap, so I wasn't uinscrewing it.

:lol:

All sorted now.

I'd like to think lots of people have made this mistake before, but I'm probably just kidding myself.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Onan wrote:
    Thanks for your replies. Turns out I was just being stupid. Having only ever used schrader valves before, I didn't realise presta valves had a built in cap, so I wasn't uinscrewing it.

All sorted now.

I'd like to think lots of people have made this mistake before, but I'm probably just kidding myself.

Damn presta valves anyway. :wink: Glad you've got it figured out.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not stupid at all, glad all sorted, its one of these things that happens to most people, something simple that confounds us, but is blindingly obvious to others!!

Happy riding!!

By the way, its a great pump, had mine a year and a half, and it is superb.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    This is the Beginners section after all. It's what its for.

The Joe Blow is a pretty good pump, but I sometimes find with mine I have to let air out before I can put more in when pumping to 120 psi.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    wots with the love in, ya bunch of hippies, she was being stupid
  • Onan
    wiffachip wrote:
    wots with the love in, ya bunch of hippies, she was being stupid

You bastard.