Avid Elixir mount

timward56
timward56 Posts: 14
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have just bought a set of avid Elixir R brakes off of merlin only to find that the front brake does not have the IS adaptor. I have the same size rotors currently but they are hayes rather than avid. Would i be able to use the adaptor from my current brakes for the new avids??

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yes
  • well i emailed merlin and they said that i would need a specific avid one due to specific washers on the bolt. Is this really something that is going to affect the brakes?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What?
    Avid callipers mount using those funky domed and concave washers, allowing you to adjust them in far too many orientations.
    The callipers bolt, via these funky washers, onto a mount, which then bolts onto your forks.
    If you've got the Avid brakes, then I assume you already have the funky washers and bolts, so what you're after is a mount, that will go on an IS fork, to take a post mount calliper (your avids, using crazy washers) for whatever size rotor you're going to use.
  • Yeh i have all of the funky washers etc already so dont know what the special washers are. I think i will just fit it with the old adaptor then. Thanks for your help.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pbpic1174591.jpg

you can use your old mount and the washers.

as in that the calliper with the washers is postmount standard.

same as the image above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown