Advice please im slightly worried

buder
buder Posts: 154
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Hi All

Im a little worried as I was on my way home tonight and stupidly I changed up on the front chain rings to the top when I was track standing and when pushed away hard heard a big clunk. I thought nothing of it but got half way down the road and I could hear a loud ziping noise comming from the front rings as the chain went round.

A little further down the road and I can only describe what happened as the chain trying to fold in on its self and the pedals jammed. Got off turned it upside down could not work out how the chain got into such a mess that it was almost folded in on itself, sorted that out cycled home and found where the chain had come off was a snall but quite deep chip !!, is this something I need to worry about or not ?, its not a crack but its chipped a bit of the alu frame bout 0.5 mm.

I also had to bend the rear derailure back into shape slightly.

Sorry if that makes no sense

Comments

• Bad luck on the incident. The first thing folks will say is "Show us a picture..."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    pics!

sounds like you had a bit of bad luck and got some really bad chainsuck. Not much you can do, paint a little clear nail varnish onto the chip so you can see if it gets any worse and check the chainrings for both wear and damage.

If i were you i'd pick up a new mech hanger now, so that when your current one snaps you can quickly replace it. I tended to just keep one in my pack to prevent mishaps.