Triple or compact....?

marts500
marts500 Posts: 85
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
After an abscence from cycling i am trying to decide which type of chainset i should fit to my new build in an attempt to cope with my very steep local Yorkshire hills...at my current fitness level.Will i be able to cope with a compact C/set without getting off and clomping upwards in my cleats and would a 12-25 or 12-27 cassette be best.

Comments

• Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Depends on your fitness I'm afraid, and you don't give much of a clue to that !
    I run a compact & live near the South Downs, rear cassette is 12/25 which is fine for all but the steepest, but Ditchling Beacon had me wishing for a 12/27 at the weekend !
    Mind you, chap half my age went sailing up it past me..........
    General opinion in the mags is compact 550/34 with a 12/25 cassette is equivalent to a triple, and usually they only go to a 12/27 for something like the Alps or Pyrenees
    My knees hurt !
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    34-25 smallest gear is still pretty big unless you live somewhere flattish or you are pretty strong.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    34-25 smallest gear is still pretty big unless you live somewhere flattish or you are pretty strong.

I live in the lakes and run this gearing, i did on my old bike have a triple which the easiest gear was 30/23 which i believe to be very similar to a 34/25.

I find it ok but if you put a 27 rear of a compact will it be massively different?

If it get's to steep round here i just have to ride out the saddle.

I think you get just as much choice and better gear alignment with a compact.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    i had same dilemma - went for the compact - dont regret it - some hills are a challenge but i find thats the fun bit of beginner road cycling..hopefully its getting me fit
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    lowest you can run on 10spd road compact* is 33-28 which = 31.8 inches

this is compares to:

30-25 = 32.4
    30-26 = 31.2
    30-27 = 30.0

Personally I'd go compact all the way. Lighter, easier to setup, narrower, sleeker. But this does clearly depend on your ability to get up stuff with your current legs...

*Shimano/SRAM setup. With 9spd you can go even lower with a mtb cassette and rear mech, but the jumps are big
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Another vote for compact. You may struggle initially, but as your fitness increases hills will get easier.
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    320DMsport wrote:

I live in the lakes and run this gearing, i did on my old bike have a triple which the easiest gear was 30/23 which i believe to be very similar to a 34/25.

I find it ok but if you put a 27 rear of a compact will it be massively different?

If it get's to steep round here i just have to ride out the saddle.

I think you get just as much choice and better gear alignment with a compact.

+1

I run this gearing and do a fair bit of cycling over the South Downs and find it fine. Most people in the club run a 39/25 (full size?) and have no problems.

Just have to man up and get fitter :)
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I started out running a compact with 12-27 in South Yorkshire with no problems. In fact, about a year later 34-27 became a bit low for me.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I run a bottom gear of 36-25 here in Wales, small enough to get me up a local 25% climb. If I can do it in my md-fifties and a smoker, anyone can.

Running granny gears is ok if you have a fully laden tourer, but you'll never really develop any climbing ability using them on a lightweight bike.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I run a 34-25 easily in North Wales (and have also used 39-25 with no problems), and other people might too. But that doesn't really help you if you are a unfit newcomer or "returnee" to cycling.

It doesn't really matter what we experienced BR posters use.......*

* my posts are becoming more mature :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Very true, I think the consensus is compact with 12/25 rear.
    One other thing I'm finding with the compact as my fitness has increased, I'm spending more & more time in the larger chain ring, even on hills I had to spin up a few months ago.
    My knees hurt !
  • I had the same concern recently. My current bike has a triple and I love racing up the hills on it. Recently did Ventoux (as part of the etape) and passed hundreds of people struggling up on compacts/doubles - on a long alpine climb the ability to spin is crucial unless you are double hard, which i am not!

Nevertheless, I have plumped for a compact on my new bike as i think a 34-25 should be ample, plus Shimano/Sram allows you to go to a 28t cog if necessary.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I've not had any probs with a 34/25, when i had a triple i used 42/23 alot.

My mate runs a 39/23 and does ok.

But i'll stick with the compact i think.
  • Camion
    Camion Posts: 60
    I did Ditchling Beacon the other day on a 39/25 on my summer bike and was literally pulling my bars left and right to make the wheels move. Hance on my latest build for the winter, a 1980s Colnago Master with record group and delta brakes (won't stop me going down that hill) I've gone triple with a 12/23 8 speed block.

I would go compact with at least 25 big cog on back, I'd rather get up that hill than be able to add a few MPH down the other side, wouldn't you? I would have looked a bit silly on foot pushing a £6k Colnago up a hill wearing shiny white Sidis.......
    Colnago Extreme Power - Dura Ace
    1980s Colnago Master Steel - Super Record Delta
    Brompton M3L-X Raleigh Nitro MTB
    1981 Viscount Sport Orange Evo 8 single speed
    Specialized Langster Carerra Subway zero