Motivation

spartacus74
spartacus74 Posts: 19
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I was wondering how the beginners out there finally got the motivation to start cycling? I'm wanting to get my fitness back in time for going skiing... just put some air in my tyres but it's lashing it down and keep finding excuses not to. I've got an old Kona Mountain bike, but keep saying to myself i'll treat myself to a nice new road bike if I start cycling again. I know I should probably just get out and ride now - I wont rust after all. Be nice to hear what eventually got others out riding.

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Hanging around fat people.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edited August 2009
    Starting to become one of the fat people is good motivation!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    To be serious for a second,

Setting realistic goals is the best start, saying that you'll go out when you can will only last a few weeks at best

If you say I'll get out twice during the week and once at weekends and sticking pretty much to it works because you get in to a routine.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    If you're that demotivated to get out on the bike, maybe you shouldn't be cycling, but should try something else instead?
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    If you only have a mtb look to see if there is anywhere interesting to ride like local bridleways etc as riding a mtb on the road is very boring IMO. I am lucky as where i live there are plenty of woods / bridleways to ride my mtb on that makes things a bit more interesting.

However recently i have got a road bike and i love riding it, i always thought i would find road biking boring but this has been unfounded.

The right clothing for the weather conditions will also help if you have a good cycle specific jacket you wont be so bothered about the rain etc.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Cycling's not for everybody. I tried it, loved it, became obsessed - like most people on here. I'm currently laid up and won't be cycling for a couple of weeks. The thought of that is driving me nuts. :(

Soon after I started, which incidentally was also on a MTB, I signed up for a charity ride with people at work and that really helped with motivation and targets.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I bought my cheap second hand road bike to help get fitter so I could enjoy my mountain biking more, since my first ride on the road bike I've not gotten the MTB out of the garage once to ride. And I'm really struggling to find any motivation to use it soon as well.

Am sure I'll use it again though, at least I hope so as it cost a fortune :D

I've been talked into entering a triathlon soon as well so that's motivating me to keep getting out on the road bike, though am now considering a turbo trainer as I'm not looking forward to riding on skinny wheels in the cold and wet.
  • Aspman77
    Aspman77 Posts: 92
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Starting to become one of the fat people is good motivation!

True. Belly needed shifting and I hate running and the gym bores the life out of me.

Always liked cycling and I've always been able to cycle 10-20 miles so it doesn't feel like such a chore to start with. Unlike running when I feel like I'm going to die after 500m.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If I find I'm getting bored with my training routes I go out on an exploring ride. All I do is go out in a general direction and then start turning down lanes that I've never been down before. I'm confident in my ability to ride any distance so I have no worries about where I'll turn up. It's a great joy to find places and see people I wouldn't normally see.
    Another motivational thing is to join a club or find a riding buddy, again new routes and challenges will present themselves to you going this route. There's nothing like a bit of peer pressure to get you out on a wet afternoon for a ride.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Try going on an easy ride.
    Just persuade yourself to go out of the door for a 10 minute ride, and you'll find once you actually get out, to turn that 10 mins into an hour isn't that hard!

It's a lot tpougher in the rain and a lot of riders don't go out in rain, but I find going out in rain allows you to appreciate the sunny days all the more.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    The hardest part is swinging your leg over the bike... Once that's done, you're away.
    It's not so bad once you've started, honest.
    But, unless you make that move, you'll never know, and you'll save a fortune on all the bling and kit that you wont need!!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!