Upgrading a Bike - Help? :)

Ry-Aranjuez
Ry-Aranjuez Posts: 9
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I am considering upgrading a bike, a 2005/6 Carrera Kraken.

I have found some parts I like the look of, but I am a little stuck with choosing the right Crankset/Chainset, since the whole measurements and size thing knocked me into confusion.. I took everything apart and the arm has 170 on it, I'm assuming that's 170mm, but then I looked around the chainset a little and found some numbers which made me even more confused.
It reads: 372-411 kgf-cm
28-31 ft. - lbf
38-48 Nm

I think that's what it says, it was really small so I dunno exactly..
I am wanting to upgrade from the Truvativ Isoflow model to (maybe) the Shimano Deore Hollowtech II.. Would that be easy to do and what measurements or teeth size type of things will I need to look for? :-P

OH, and does anyone have any suggestions on the following things I am thinking about throwing on my bike? ;
DMR V12 Magnesium Pure White pedals. Brooks Black leather grips, Shimano Deore XT M770 brake levers, Ride-On gear cables, new discs (i need advice on these!) and I am thinking about mudguards but I need to find some decent ones.. The clip-on PUSH ones look good :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• riderjam
    riderjam Posts: 41
    The 170 will be 170 mm, and the bits that say '372-411 kgf-cm, 28-31 ft. - lbf and 38-48 Nm' just tell you how tight to do the bolts up.
  • OH ok thanks!

Would you know what size chainset to look at? In terms of the whole "28.38.48t" type of thing? Or wouldn't it matter?
    I just thought if I get something with more teeth on it then the chain will be affected? or chainrings? :-S this is where i got completely lost haha

Thanks Again!
    Ryan
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    I looked around the chainset a little and found some numbers which made me even more confused.
    It reads: 372-411 kgf-cm
    28-31 ft. - lbf
    38-48 Nm

These three sets of figures are the tightening torque settings for the screws.

In...
    Kilograms Force per Centimetre.
    Pounds Force per Foot.
    Newton meters.

You can use any/either of the settings depending on personal preference. Usual standard nowadays is Newton meters (Nm).
  • Thanks!
    I thought they seemed more like measurements than the teeth numbers or anything, but just wanted to make sure :-S I'm not too bike-savvy so I thought it could've been something relating to the teeth and if I got the wrong thing might end up having to get everything renewed to fit the right sizes and all that.. lol

Thanks again for the help! :-D

Ryan
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    The teeth numbers are normally written on the chain rings themselves...

That or you can count them... (just remember which one you started on...!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • pte1643
    TommyEss wrote:

Tippex. :wink:
  • pte1643
    just wanted to make sure :-S I'm not too bike-savvy

Ask away... That's what the forum is for. :wink:
  • TommyEss
    pte1643 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Tippex. :wink:

Yes - but is tippex the one you start on, or the last one you count...!?!?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Haha, cool :-P

Should I count all 3 of the chainrings?

I can imagine the tippex being mostly on the floor and my hands than on the chainring :-P

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

Ryan
  • TommyEss
    Yeah - if you're happy with the gearing currently then you'll want to keep the same.