It's worse off peak!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Normally, on my commute, I have very little bother.

Yesterday, I left early. Approaching a left filter, in the road side cycle lane, a white van crawling in the queue decides to filter left, without indicating and without leaving any space in the cycle lane I was in at the time. My wheels where adjacent the kerb and my right handlebar on the side of the van. I bang on the window and just get some random abuse for nearly being squashed by him when he passes (luckily, that sixth tosser spotting sense kicked in and I was ready for him).

Today, I left early. I am a bit further back, cycling past the slow moving queues again. Someone signals for an oncoming car to turn across the road. Completely oblivious to me she cuts straight across. Luckily, that sixth tosser spotting sense had kicked in (fat bird in a Peugeot 307cc - the hallmarks of stupidity were there) and I impressively skidded to a halt an inch from her bumper. As I carry on she shouts 'Didn't you see me' :roll: I should have stopped and suggested that the fat bloater read the highway code but I was on for a good time and didn't want to waste my time on idiots.

Finally, back to near where yesterdays incident occurred, a dippy blonde decides to open the passenger door without looking. Again, for effect I avoid much speed loss by stylish use of a drop curb shouting 'Idiot' at the blonde. But guess what - she actually calls out 'sorry'! So I wave and shout back 'It's OK' even though it wasn't really - just out of surprise at someone being a bit thick and actually apologising for it.

So, just remember, when you think the pillocks are all out to get you, the standard of driving is far worse off peak. Off peak cycling - s. c. a. r. y !!!!!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Yep, I tend to feel happier at peak times. Generally the traffic moves slower so it is less scary.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Off peak also, around here people park on the bike lanes (only a single yellow line). Grrr.

Oh yeah, when you see a gap in the traffic because one car is waving another through, what do you do? I would normally steam through but have started to stop for them - mainly cos one of them might plough into me anyway - but they also seem to appreciate my stopping.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Finally, back to near where yesterdays incident occurred, a dippy blonde decides to open the passenger door without looking. Again, for effect I avoid much speed loss by stylish use of a drop curb shouting 'Idiot' at the blonde. But guess what - she actually calls out 'sorry'! So I wave and shout back 'It's OK' even though it wasn't really - just out of surprise at someone being a bit thick and actually apologising for it.

Happens to me quite a bit. Someone cuts me up, a ped dives across the road right in front of me, ... . Just as I'm about to let loose with an expletive, they turn, look at me, smile sheepishly and mouth sorry. I find it very hard to be annoyed with someone who apologises for a mistake - I instinctively smile back and say don't worry.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:
    Luckily, that sixth tosser spotting sense had kicked in (fat bird in a Peugeot 307cc - the hallmarks of stupidity were there)
    Is that because she was fat or in a Peugeot 307
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    sarajoy wrote:
    Off peak also, around here people park on the bike lanes (only a single yellow line). Grrr.

Oh yeah, when you see a gap in the traffic because one car is waving another through, what do you do? I would normally steam through but have started to stop for them - mainly cos one of them might plough into me anyway - but they also seem to appreciate my stopping.

usually hit the brakes and slow down til I know it is clear.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rolf_f
    -null- wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Luckily, that sixth tosser spotting sense had kicked in (fat bird in a Peugeot 307cc - the hallmarks of stupidity were there)

The combination of the two in my current sweeping generalisations mood! Being fat and being sat in a fat, badly made, unreliable overweight car with a stupid roof is a pretty bad combination in my book. And she was turning into the entrance which is either for the tip or for the McDonalds drive through. I'm guessing the latter which proves my point!

The only incident that I think I could have got caught out on is the car door - if I'd been there a moment earlier she could have opened it straight into me.
    sarajoy wrote:

Had a classic a few months back. Black BMW - I nearly reported it but it eventually disappeared. Parked obstructing the cycle lane, a double yellow line and across the pavement - 3 fails in one parking manoeuver! Was there all week and may have been dumped
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Had a classic a few months back. Black BMW - I nearly reported it but it eventually disappeared. Parked obstructing the cycle lane, a double yellow line and across the pavement - 3 fails in one parking manoeuver! Was there all week and may have been dumped

I knew a guy who used to take HUGE exception to these kind of maneuvers and would walk OVER the offending vehicle. His repsonse was "it's a pavement" :shock:

I wasn't there to see this, but was told that he once got upset at someone who had stopped over a zebra crossing and climbed THROUGH the car :D

Don't you wish you had the brass b*lls to do the same?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

I knew a guy who used to take HUGE exception to these kind of maneuvers and would walk OVER the offending vehicle. His repsonse was "it's a pavement" :shock:

I wasn't there to see this, but was told that he once got upset at someone who had stopped over a zebra crossing and climbed THROUGH the car :D

That's quite funny, but he does sound like a prize prick tbh.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Student....

Art Student

I'll say no more
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    Rolf F wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    The combination of the two in my current sweeping generalisations mood! Being fat and being sat in a fat, badly made, unreliable overweight car with a stupid roof is a pretty bad combination in my book. And she was turning into the entrance which is either for the tip or for the McDonalds drive through. I'm guessing the latter which proves my point!.
    Well in my pissed of with people making sweeping generalisations mood I'll point out that not every fat woman is

a) A bad driver who almost takes out every cyclist she passes or
    b) Addicted to MacDonalds or other fast food

Most definitely yes. Especially when the car is parked on the section of pavement leading out of the car park that has a lowered kerb for disabled access not so it can be used as an additional parking space.
  • rolf_f
    -null- wrote:
    Well in my pissed of with people making sweeping generalisations mood I'll point out that not every fat woman is

Lucky then that I never said they were!
  • suzyb
    Rolf F wrote:
    -null- wrote:

So then would you mind explaining what you meant by this paragraph. Because that implied to me that you did think fat women were, in general bad drivers who regularly popped along to MacDonalds.
    The combination of the two in my current sweeping generalisations mood! Being fat and being sat in a fat, badly made, unreliable overweight car with a stupid roof is a pretty bad combination in my book. And she was turning into the entrance which is either for the tip or for the McDonalds drive through. I'm guessing the latter which proves my point!
  • rolf_f
    -null- wrote:
    So then would you mind explaining what you meant by this paragraph. Because that implied to me that you did think fat women were, in general bad drivers who regularly popped along to MacDonalds.

I implied that someone who was fat (choosing to have a poor quality of life isn't that smart), drove a crap car (it isn't smart buying French cars - they are notoriously unreliable and getting one with a complicated roof is particularly unclever. Better cars can be had) who go to a drive through McDonalds (dire quality food served in such a way that you don't even need to get your lard arse out of the seat is also not doing your quality of life any good) was likely (but not definitely) to be thick. Given her response, I was proved right. Just a generalisation but, statistically, probably a reasonable generalisation.

Sorry - is this really a problem to you? I don't want to offend but this is an internet forum and, without sweeping generalisations, it would be a dull place!
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    edited August 2009
    -null- wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    -null- wrote:

For f**k's sake Null get off your f**king high horse 8)

Anyway, fat person in a chavvy car driving into MacDonalds ... would you think, yes, this is someone who is going to pay attention and be considerate to other road users?
  • suzyb
    Rolf F wrote:
    -null- wrote:

I implied that someone who was fat (choosing to have a poor quality of life isn't that smart), drove a crap car (it isn't smart buying French cars - they are notoriously unreliable and getting one with a complicated roof is particularly unclever. Better cars can be had) who go to a drive through McDonalds (dire quality food served in such a way that you don't even need to get your lard ars* out of the seat is also not doing your quality of life any good) was likely (but not definitely) to be thick. Given her response, I was proved right. Just a generalisation but, statistically, probably a reasonable generalisation.

Sorry - is this really a problem to you? I don't want to offend but this is an internet forum and, without sweeping generalisations, it would be a dull place!
    It was just the fat thing. I couldn't see what being fat had to do with how good her driving was. And being fat myself it struck a nerve.

But I see your logic now and it actually kinda makes sense. Even if not all french car driving fat women are bad drivers :P

And thanks RedJohn for interjecting, I always love it when an adult "debate" is interrupted by a thoughtless idiot.
  • RedJohn
    -null- wrote:
    And thanks RedJohn for interjecting, I always love it when an adult "debate" is interrupted by a thoughtless idiot.

Adult debate .. .if you say so ...
    Maybe I'm just (1) pissed off at still being at work, and (2) oh never mind.

Strewth, accusations of pomposity usually go West to East around here!!
  • suzyb
    RedJohn wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Adult debate .. .if you say so ...
    Maybe I'm just (1) pissed off at still being at work, and (2) oh never mind.

Strewth, accusations of pomposity usually go West to East around here!!
    Meh, know that feeling. Being stuck working till all hours because your ignorant boss doesn't tell you till 4 o'clock they want to demo something the next day and it isn't nearly finished :evil:

Anyway I apologise for my comment. It was made in annoyance just after reading your post...not a good time to respond. I hope you get out of work soon :D
  • rolf_f
    So we're all OK now until someone mentions red light jumping? :lol:
  • RedJohn
    Null, my apologies as well.
    I might not agree with you but I don't have to be rude about it just because I'm cross about other things.

I'm not usually so obnoxious, honest :-)

Now, what was that about Red Light Jumping ...
  • so everyone agress, stick to peak times when car drivers are resigned to their self inflicted drudgery and won't do anything that deviates from the path of least resistance. Avoid off peak times when people with questionable taste in food swerve around randomly, unencumbered by the 9-5 lifestyle.
  • RedJohn
    :lol:
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    That art student wasn't called Duncan was he?
    I once saw the guy walk over three cars which were parked across the pavement in Putney.
    "What's he doing?"
    "He always does this."
    "Does he realise the next one's a convertible?"
    Needless to say he only got half way across that one. In those days SAAB conv's didn't have metal roofs. They did have alarms though.
    The muppet.