Routes in Chamonix

I'm off to Chamonix for some road cycling over the bank holiday weekend. I'm not hiring a car (though happy to take advice if you think I should?). Does anyone know of any good routes out of Chamonix? Ideallly looking for three days riding of about 100k per day with some good mountain passes thrown in?

Any routes / ideas you've got would be a great help.

Thanks!

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    edited August 2009
    One route - in/out. Take the road over to martigny via the Col de montes and the Forclaz (you might need your passport as you are entering Switzerland. The other way is the road to Geneva thro' Les houches and St. Gervais. One tip is to use the Martigny-St.Gervais Train that calls at Chamonix. Special area on the train for bikes :-)

http://www.francevuedutrain.net/Photos/ ... TIGNY.html

http://www.chamonix.net/files/Train/sncfhigh.pdf

If you get a map of the area you can see the train that takes you down to St.Gervais means you could ride over to Megeve and up the Saisies or the Aravis/Colombier and round to Sallanches/Passy or from Martigny straight up the Grand Col St.Bernard and back down (30km downhill - fast main road :-) ) or up towards Lake Geneva
    M.Rushton
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'd recommend the Walker Spur: 1200m, TD+, classic north face. Maybe need a granny gear.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Forclaz de Martigny is the classic climb. There's also the Joux Plane from Samoens with descent to Morzine, but probably you'll have to descend the same way, otherwise it becomes a very very long day.
    In Samoens, opposite the Joux Plane there is another much less known climb which goes up to a small resort... can't remember the name, it's not a Tour one, but it's much harder than the two previous.

Being Italian I prefer the other side, the area around Courmayeur is stunning and plenty of hard and easier climbs
    left the forum March 2023