After all these years the mystery is solved !

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited August 2009 in Pro race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub_qNqzo ... re=related

So it was Gino to Fausto then...............

ps if it hadnt been for the 2nd world war nobody would call Eddy Merckx the greatest
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:

ps if it hadnt been for the 2nd world war nobody would call Eddy Merckx the greatest

Agreed! The Coppi book which recently came out is worth reading. More about the man than the racing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lovely. I wonder if that's a clip from another RAI tv film?
    I enjoyed the one they made on Pantani, even if it was a bit cheesy.
    Yes, but for WW2, their palmares would have been even more extraordinary.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Classic black and white footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owncvjlG ... re=related
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • But the war made Gino's reputation as a man, and he did far greater things with his time than he coiuld achieve on the bike, as powerful as riding a bike is.
  • Bartoli
    Bartoli Posts: 51
    Hopefully someone will write a book(in English) on Gino and his expolits soon.
  • Bartoli wrote:
    Hopefully someone will write a book(in English) on Gino and his expolits soon.

So are you a fan then? ;)
  • Bartoli
    Bartoli Posts: 51
    Oh yes,a trip to the Musuem on the top of the Ghisallo is a must for any Bartali/Coppi fan.

And I'm a fan of Bartoli too :D
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Bartali's wartime exploits mark him out as one of the greatest men ever to ride a bike
  • moray_gub
    Lovely. I wonder if that's a clip from another RAI tv film?
    I enjoyed the one they made on Pantani, even if it was a bit cheesy.
    Yes, but for WW2, their palmares would have been even more extraordinary.

Yep they would have probably shared the TDF and other major races between them in the 40s, to the extent that both would have palmares up there with Eddys.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Agreed! The Coppi book which recently came out is worth reading. More about the man than the racing.

Have not managed to get a hold of that yet , i did browse the first few chapters in WH Smith looked a great read. Everybody has there own views on favourite riders etc but for me Fausto Coppi is the most fascinating and probably the best bike rider there has ever been.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:
    Bartali's wartime exploits mark him out as one of the greatest men ever to ride a bike

indeed

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/gino-bartali-cyclist-who-saved-nation.html
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Bartali's wartime exploits were featured in the movie 'The Assisi Underground'
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Have not managed to get a hold of that yet , i did browse the first few chapters in WH Smith looked a great read. Everybody has there own views on favourite riders etc but for me Fausto Coppi is the most fascinating and probably the best bike rider there has ever been.

Why not see if you can get it at the library??????????
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    After having read all of the threads and watch the films I'm still none the wiser. What mystery has been solved after all these years?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    It is amazing how much we all love the old time classics when they doped to death and we hate the pros today that even though haven't doped there are suspicions about them.

Old times are always better, in it!!?!?!? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    neilo23 wrote:
    After having read all of the threads and watch the films I'm still none the wiser. What mystery has been solved after all these years?

Who gave the bottle to who. Coppi and Bartali were great rivals and didn't much like each other. There was a great divide in the Italian tifosi - you were either a Coppi fan or a Bartali fan. There was no in-between. Think Armstrong v Contador, only a hundred times more heated.

People argued for years over which rider passed the bottle to the other:

coppi_bartali.jpg

Naturally, both riders claimed it was their bottle...
  • A great divide indeed, also involving politics, religion and regionalism.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Now I'm no inspector Mockfish??

But in the video Bartali hands Coppi the bottle, but in the picture afx has posted Bartali still has a bottle already in his cage???

So is it a put up video? Or is the picture posted not tthe picture in question?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    gabriel959 wrote:
    It is amazing how much we all love the old time classics when they doped to death and we hate the pros today that even though haven't doped there are suspicions about them.

Old times are always better, in it!!?!?!? :)

I'd read somewhere that Bartali was really against drug use and was semi-obsessed with finding evidence of what Coppi was up to.

This may be completely wrong though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Now I'm no inspector Mockfish??

But in the video Bartali hands Coppi the bottle, but in the picture afx has posted Bartali still has a bottle already in his cage???

So is it a put up video? Or is the picture posted not tthe picture in question?

Hmm, good spot. I got the picture from this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/sport ... cling.html

They seem to think it is the picture, and MG's video seems to be recreating that one too.

There is one other picture of Coppi and Bartali sharing a drink, but it looks completely different:

coppi%20bartali.jpg