Garmin Software - Online or Desktop?

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited August 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Slowly (and I mean VERY slowly) getting to grips with my new Edge 705, now have to set up software to record rides etc. Which of the two options do people find better - online (Garmin Connect) or Desktop (Garmin Training Centre).

What are the pro's and con's of each?
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Garmin Connect for simplicity but the training center is more detailed I think, it depends what you want to do really, I just want to look at the rides at the end to see where I have being and the simple stuff so connect does the job for me.

Not as helpful as you are wanting but thought I'd post that might help abit.
  • kirkjr13
    kirkjr13 Posts: 22
    I would swap them both for Sport Tracks in the blink of an eye. Check out the cool add-ons and the detail.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    kirkjr13 wrote:
    I would swap them both for Sport Tracks in the blink of an eye. Check out the cool add-ons and the detail.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

I'll echo this, SportTracks is much better than the Garmin software.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    edited July 2009
    I like sport tracks as well, as I wanted something to work with the Garmin Edge and my Timex Ironman Body Link that I use for running with, and this fits the bill (ok it free) perfectly.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

You don't need to choose - I use both Garmin options as appropriate.

Cheers, Andy
  • kirkjr13
    kirkjr13 Posts: 22
    I believe you can download addons so that just about all the major brands and models of gadget are covered. I'm sure garmin edge works with sporttracks.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Hi there.

You don't need to choose - I use both Garmin options as appropriate.

Cheers, Andy

I did think about this, but wondered whether the hassle of uploading twice (assume this is what I'd have to do) was worth it.

What are the main differences between the two?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Slowly (and I mean VERY slowly) getting to grips with my new Edge 705, now have to set up software to record rides etc. Which of the two options do people find better - online (Garmin Connect) or Desktop (Garmin Training Centre).

What are the pro's and con's of each?

I use Garmin Connect and Sportstrack for my Garmin 705. Garmin just to look at the ride stats and maybe share the ride online if it's a good one, and sportstracks as a more thorough training diary.
  • Sportstracks. I Combine the GPS data with Power data etc. Very good once you get the hang of it.
  • http://www.TrainingPeaks.com is an online software tool you might want to check out. All in one place you can create and share maps and routes; upload and analyze GPS, HR, Power and speed/distance files, track and plan all your training (and nutrition) and either work on your own, directly with a coach, use the Virtual Coach or follow a training plan.

And, if you want desktop analysis software for GPS and power files, check out WKO+ at http://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko-desktop-software/analysis-software-for-training-files.aspx

[full disclosure - yes, I work there. But honestly, I used TrainingPeaks for 4 years before they hired me and I still use it every day with my Garmin and SRM. But you don't have to believe me - just check it out (Basic is free)]
    www.TrainingPeaks.com
    training & nutrition software for athletes and coaches
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    +1 for sportTracks work fine with my edge
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    could never get my head round sporttracks. training centre gives me all the info i need tbh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • sampras38
    a_n_t wrote:
    could never get my head round sporttracks. training centre gives me all the info i need tbh.

What's to get around, as it's all pretty self explainatory?

I tend to use Sporttracks for the training diary aspect/weight monitoring etc and GC for ride data.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    After trying sporttracks in the past and rejecting it as too complicated I am now a convert to it and think it is great although it took me while to get the settings right it is worth the effort.. Garmin connect is a big disappointment and offers little, if anything, TC doesn`t. I still download to TC also but it takes several minutes to open because there are 3 years of rides whereas sporttracks takes a few seconds even with all the rides imported and the activity report graphs are well worth having as is being able to specify what bike your ride was on and get the weather for any past ride {with a plug-in} and even a power reading. I`ve tried Training Peaks and all the rest and I am underwhelmed and unimpresssed.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sampras38
    antfly wrote:
    After trying sporttracks in the past and rejecting it as too complicated I am now a convert to it and think it is great although it took me while to get the settings right it is worth the effort.. Garmin connect is a big disappointment and offers little, if anything, TC doesn`t. I still download to TC also but it takes several minutes to open because there are 3 years of rides whereas sporttracks takes a few seconds even with all the rides imported and the activity report graphs are well worth having as is being able to specify what bike your ride was on and get the weather for any past ride {with a plug-in} and even a power reading. I`ve tried Training Peaks and all the rest and I am underwhelmed and unimpresssed.

Nice one...

Where did you get the plug-ins for Sportstrack?
  • antfly
    They are all on the sporttracks website, there`s a whole load of them.
  • I used all 4 options when I got my 705....GC, GTC, MotionBased and ST. I basically used all simultaneously and just let my own needs and preferences guide me. I now use ST for everything and GC every now and then if I want to share a ride with others. I like the plug-ins for ST...the weather, elevation correction and training load ones are my favourites.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Garmin Training Center is so far behind Sporttracks, it's almost laughable.

Try the following in GTC:

1. Find out what your fastest ever average speed was since you've started collecting data.
    2. Now do the same as step 1 and tell me what your best average speed was below 50 miles but above 25.
    3. What was your accumulated mileage in April 2007?
    4. How many feet did you climb on rides of 40 - 65 miles in August 2008
    5. What is your best month of altitude gained. - same for week or year.

You may have no interest in the above, but the data is there to see if you want, and if you don't, so what? But it's child's play in Sporttracks.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Without wishing to go off-topic, I just installed SportTracks (after reading this thread) - seems pretty simple but - I can't seem to get the satellite or road map views to work. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :)
  • Chrissz wrote:
    Without wishing to go off-topic, I just installed SportTracks (after reading this thread) - seems pretty simple but - I can't seem to get the satellite or road map views to work. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :)

What plug-ins have you installed? I can't remember if I had maps before I installed certain plug-ins but in my list of plug-ins I have one called "Terraserver Map Provider" and that might be required. There is also help here: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... php?t=4356

You'll also want to get the elevation correction plug-in.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • antfly
    You are better off without the elevation correction if you have a barometer device, it says so on the website. It just takes some fiddling with the settings to get it perfect. I found that out because I couldn`t get the elevation correction to work anyway.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    What plug-ins have you installed? I can't remember if I had maps before I installed certain plug-ins but in my list of plug-ins I have one called "Terraserver Map Provider" and that might be required. There is also help here: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... php?t=4356

You'll also want to get the elevation correction plug-in.

Seems to work now I've installed Google Earth :lol: I'll give Terraserver a bash as well. Cheers.