Keysersoze Posts: 41
edited June 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Here is my newly built Scale......

What do you think??

2009 Scott Scale Carbon Frame
Fox F100 RLforks
Mavic Crossrides & Scwalbe Racing Ralphs
Carbon Skewers
Avid Elixir CR brakes with carbon levers 160mm rotors front & back.
XTR M970 quickfire shifters
XTRM 972 rear mech with carbon cage
XTR M971E fiting front mech
XTR chain
XT Cassette
XT Chainset & BB
DMR V12 Mag pedals with red pimp my pedals kit
Rithcey WCS 90mm Carbon stem
Ritchey WCS 560mm flat carbon bars
Ritchey WCS Carbon headset
Rithcey WCS Cabon seatpost
Sellia Italia SLR XP saddle

dsc00878r.jpg
dsc00879u.jpg
dsc00889d.jpg
dsc00896m.jpg
dsc00891o.jpg[/img]
dsc00881x.jpg

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    that is a very pimp bike, I hope you're as fast as that bike looks :wink:

each to their own and all, but why flattie pedals on such an out-and-out XC race machine?

did you spec it up yourself? some interesting component choices there (like XTR thoughout and loads of carbon finishing kit but then mid-range wheelset....)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • that is a very pimp bike, I hope you're as fast as that bike looks :wink:

each to their own and all, but why flattie pedals on such an out-and-out XC race machine?

did you spec it up yourself? some interesting component choices there (like XTR thoughout and loads of carbon finishing kit but then mid-range wheelset....)

It started off as a cheap project originally built around a Scale 70 that grew out of control :shock: :shock: I got a good deal on the carbon frame & it snowballed from there....

The pedals took a great deal of time to make my mind up on, but seen as I don't race or anything like that I needed something comfortable....

The wheels are to be upgraded very soon :D:D:D

Just looking at DT 4.2's or some Crossmax depends what sort of deals are about...
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Crap.. needs more carbon!

haha juct kidding, lovely machine. a lot of that looks like my parts want list
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very nice build. looks awesome
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    You don't race? Why get a race bike then? Surely could've built something more comfortable and that rides better for that money, although that will climb very well probably.

Still, looks very nice, except for pedals. :wink:

Got a weight?
  • RealMan wrote:
    You don't race? Why get a race bike then? Surely could've built something more comfortable and that rides better for that money, although that will climb very well probably.

Got a weight?

I liked the look of the Scales & fancied a project....

What pedals would you suggest for wearing trainers???

Weight I would guess less than 10kg but will weigh it soon.... If it's over 10kg I will :cry::cry::cry:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sure I've seen this before somewhere.... :wink:

Quick question - does your computer mount securely on the stem? I've got the same one (albeit not in the patriotic colours!) and it didn't feel all that secure when I tried the stem-mount...
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    Sure I've seen this before somewhere.... :wink:

You have in the classifieds....... I asked how much it was worth :lol::lol:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    very nice bike, i love the look of scott bikes but then i would do :wink:

don't think there's anything wrong with the pedals, i've got v8's on my spark and people say the same thing to me!

good work fella!!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Lovely Scale.
    Good choice on the pedals.

Hills.............here I come. :lol:
  • Wotski
    Wotski Posts: 13
    Big fan of the white-wall tyres; pimp-tastic!
  • Keysersoze wrote:
    RealMan wrote:

Got a weight?

I liked the look of the Scales & fancied a project....

What pedals would you suggest for wearing trainers???

Weight I would guess less than 10kg but will weigh it soon.... If it's over 10kg I will :cry::cry::cry:

Well I managed to weigh it today & it weighs 10.5kg according to my new scales (must be wrong) or at least I hope so :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Here is a list of what's fitted & weight..... so my outer gear cables weigh 1kg :?: :?: :?: I don't get it.... WTF or are my scales miles out??

Ritchey Stem 121
    Rithcey Bars 135
    Rithcey Headset 110
    Mavic Crossrides 1770
    XT rear cassette 256
    XTR front mech 129
    XTR rear mech 182
    XT Crank 853
    XTR Shifters 250
    Shcwalbe Racing Ralphs1040
    Fox F100RL Forks 1560
    Ritchey Grips 80
    XTR Chain 304
    Carbon Skewers 69
    Avid Elixir Carbon brakes750
    Scale Frame 980
    Sellia Italia SLR XP 180
    DMR V12 Mag & Pimp 434
    Ritchey Carbon Seatpost220
    inner tubes 300
    seatpost clamp 50

Total 9523
  • Did you weigh the separate parts, or are they the quoted values? You'll find that bike bits are usually a bit heavier than what they are quoted as.

Very nice bike though!!
  • Did you weigh the separate parts, or are they the quoted values? You'll find that bike bits are usually a bit heavier than what they are quoted as.

Very nice bike though!!

Pete,

I didn't weigh every part but the ones I did weigh were pretty spot on to the quoted price....

The standard scale 35 weighs 10.6kg so I have spent a small fortune & saved 100g....LOL....

The standard seat & post weighed 700g the Ritchey carbon post & SLR seat weigh 400g so there is 300g straight away.... as well as pretty much every other component upgraded.... I don't get it...
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    so much carbon fibre. wow it must way like a feather.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    The XT crank comes out at more like 868g rather than the quoted 853g. Have you weighed things like your extra bolts and stuff? Your computer? What about cables? Does your brake weight include rotors and pads?

To be fair, i also doubt the standard one weighs 10.6kg - probably Scotts claimed weight which is more than likely without pedals etc. and on their scales. Bikes very rarely come in at their claimed weights.

ps - fooking lovely bike btw!
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Awful bike I hate it :twisted:

haha :lol:

No seriously that is ia really smart looking bike.

As for the weight - it may be the scales. My stumpjumper has a magazine weight of 10.5kg, but my pimped out and much lightened version weighs 10.4kg by my ebay hanging scale! :cry:

As for the pedals - they look good to me, are they the titanium spindled version?
  • adb1006
    It's not your scales being out, it's manufacturers lying!!!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    manufacturers weigh without pedals, this could explain the difference

nice bike but to racey for me
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    :wink: no i love it
  • Sweet looking bike. Love the white rubber. :) and the CARBON!! Sexy as! 8)
    Have you weigh the bike again? No way your bike weighs 10.5kg. Get some new scales. I'm thinking it should weigh not more than 9.5kg even less.
    Anyway love the carbon parts, wish I could put more on my bike but being a big fellow, I need to watch what I can use.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Keysersoze wrote:
    Scale Frame 980

Hi another part which is heavier than listed is the frame. When I bought my scale Ltd back in 2006, it was only the ltd's which were coming in around the claimed weight. I spoke to someone at Scott who mentioned something about a slightly different carbon layup - I'm not sure if this is still the case. Mine came with a sheet from the factory which had been signed off and all the measurements, including the weight, written down - if you had one for your frame it could give you a better indication of the weight. My guess would be that it weighs nearer 1150g, as per the photo below (and you would also need to include the bottle cage bolts into your calculation):

CIMG1946.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the weight that much. I have got alot more out of my Scale since putting on heavier components.
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    Get some AVID/XTR matchmakers could save a few grams lol
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • adb1006
    pauljoes wrote:
    Get some AVID/XTR matchmakers could save a few grams lol

Do Avid (i.e. SRAM) make matchmakers for Shimano shifters? Or are they aftermarket jobbies?
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    yes mate aslong as you got AVID brakes I am sure of it
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Loving this bike, so much carbon...yum

So where is the best priced place to get a Ritchey stem and flat bar for my Trek 8000? Looking down at some CF will make my back on the bike pain easier :twisted: :P :D
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • beanfield
    beanfield Posts: 26
    claimed weight can always be wrong! i have a scott scale 30 at 10.5 with similar parts to yours my xtr chain weighs 270g as i did not need the full chain, and the matrix stem is heavier than a aluminum 4 axis stem so carbon not always the lightest, wheels make a hugh difference in weight you will notice this more than a light saddle or a new stem as etc as its rotational weight, im looking at american classic's very light for the money
  • rchip
    rchip Posts: 102
    Mate, that bike is gorgeous. Stop worrying about the weight, hah it must be so light anyway it doesn't matter what the scale says!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Scott claimed weights are usually pretty optimistic (although not as bad as some), and are without pedals.

10.5kg for that looks about right, there's lots of carbon, but nothing that's really incredibly light.

Needs some proper pedals, and your saddle looks like it's sloping down slightly, and some lighter wheels. Then it'll be there.
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Nice bike :) Have alsways had a soft spot for the Scott Scale.