Home made energy drink?

alp777
alp777 Posts: 211
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I am going to be experimenting on making my own energry drink.

It's going to consist of Maltodextrin and Fructose with a ratio of 2:1.

So i am going to put 1kg of multidextrin and 0.5kg of Fructose in a large container and simply shake the container to mix the ingredients together.

Is it is simple as that? How do i know that when i fill a 750ml bottle i have a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin/fructose?

Stupid question? :)

Comments

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    or keep them seperate and add 2 teaspoons of X to 1teaspoon of of Y
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Let us know how well it works (the drink, not the mixing technique)....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yes it's pretty much just putting them in a container and mixing. Try and make sure you have some space in the container to aid mixind.

Fructose and Malto mix pretty easily, the grains are very difference sizes and you can easily see if they end up mixed or not.

You won't know (other than by analysing it) that the ratio is what you want unless you mix it exactly to the proportion. But you'll be very close and it'll be a lot easier to just mix it all up.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    jibberjim wrote:
    Yes it's pretty much just putting them in a container and mixing. Try and make sure you have some space in the container to aid mixind.

Fructose and Malto mix pretty easily, the grains are very difference sizes and you can easily see if they end up mixed or not.

You won't know (other than by analysing it) that the ratio is what you want unless you mix it exactly to the proportion. But you'll be very close and it'll be a lot easier to just mix it all up.

Thanks for the response jibberjim, it was your website that inspired me to make my own.....cheers!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Wow, what an eye-opener. I've tended to shy away from energy drinks due to the cost but I guess I'll be getting fructosed-up from now on.

Thanks for the top tips.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Poor man's energy drink

What you need

- Lemons
    - Honey
    - Water
    - Salt

Directions

- Boil water
    - Squeeze the juice from the lemons.
    - Mix the two together and add the honey. Stir until the honey has dissolved.
    - Add a pinch of salt.
    - Wait until cool before filling up bottles or drink for immediate recovery after a ride.

This one is good for recovery, especially in winter, because the vitamin C boosts your weak immune system after a ride and the honey gets absorbed really quickly and replaces glycogen. 20% of honey is water, the rest glucose & fructose, so about 150-200g of honey should be enough. You should judge the balance of honey & lemons by smell - the drink shoudln't have an overwhelming smell of either, it should be a good balance. That's when you know it'll taste amazing. The reason you use boiling water is because it's almost impossible to get honey to dissolve in cool water.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What do you add for the protein that is important for recovery?
  • Bhima
    edited August 2009
    Whey protein if you want.

Although I usually have this drink and a seperate protein/yoghurt milkshake half an hour later because whey protein ruins the flavour.

Fruit salad is incredible for recovery if you use a lot of natural yoghurt. I buy the stuff in bulk in 10kg tubs so I sometimes have about 3kg of fruit, 3kg of yoghurt and 200g of honey in a big BIG bowl as soon as I get in.

Yum yum...
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Bhima wrote:
    Whey protein if you want.

3kg of fruit, 3kg of yoghurt and 200g of honey in a big BIG bowl as soon as I get in.

Yum yum...

3kg - so, like 3 litres of yogurt... i think i may be speechless
  • Bhima
    Yeah, I can't get enough of the stuff. At 0.1% fat and 5% protein, why not binge out? :D
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Bhima wrote:
    Yeah, I can't get enough of the stuff. At 0.1% fat and 5% protein, why not binge out? :D

Wow - do you do everything at extremes?
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Bhima
    Of course.

Back to the original topic, sillyness aside, i've found that Honey + Fruit (glucose & fructose + more fructose) is more effective than Maltodextrin. Strawberry & Grape smoothie with brown sugar seems to do the trick for me when riding too. I've often tried the different energy drink powders out there, including pure Maltodextrin, and they just aren't the same. I know others who actually get physically sick from them too. :? Maybe it's the extras you get with fruit (Electrolytes, tiny fragments of fruit fibres, etc) which give me an extra feeling of fullness.

Whatever the reason, i'd recommend everyone try fruit-based drinks at least once. It's lovely stuff. 8)
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Thats 6.2kg of food at one sitting or in English nearly a stone. :shock:
  • Bhima
    Maybe my comment was mis-leading. :? I'll have that ammount of food over about 4 hours, but start on it as soon as I get in. :) It's a lot of food, but a lot of that is water.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Any recovery drink needs protein in it, otherwise it is a pure energy drink. A recovery drink contains both carbs and protein, carbs on their own will not help with any muscle recovery, other than glycogen replenishment. Milk based protein is a slow release protein, for best recovery you need something like whey or soy protein in your system within 20 minutes or so.

I make a energy drink similar to bhima, though I use a tablespoon of honey, and use 450ml of pure apple juice per 750ml, and don't boil the water, just chuck it in a blender, and the honey and salt gets mixed up all OK.

Must admit I think the quanity of fruit and yogurt is a bit of a joke, I doubt most people could eat that amount in 24 hours, let alone 4 hours. You must spend as much time on the loo as you do on your bike ;)
  • riderjam
    riderjam Posts: 41
    Coconut water is supposed to be really good
  • I've used blackberries as a base before. Add a good slug of apple juice, then banana's, apples, strawberries even pears. Stick it all in the blender. Hey presto, tasty healthy riding juice. Lasts about three days.
    Coming home from a ride I like to eat cereal with lots of milk. I can't be bothered to spend money on cycle specfic protein shakes, energy bars and what not (and I get into trouble).
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • I've used blackberries as a base before. Add a good slug of apple juice, then banana's, apples, strawberries even pears. Stick it all in the blender. Hey presto, tasty healthy riding juice. Lasts about three days.
    Coming home from a ride I like to eat cereal with lots of milk. I can't be bothered to spend money on cycle specfic protein shakes, energy bars and what not (and I get into trouble).
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    jedster wrote:
  • mikeq
    I've used this stuff in the past

http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/p/numa ... amin-c/172

You can get it in boots, branded as a boots product.

£1.50 for ½kg of the stuff :D

www.velochallenge.org
  • jibberjim
    Bhima wrote:
    Maybe my comment was mis-leading. :? I'll have that ammount of food over about 4 hours, but start on it as soon as I get in. :) It's a lot of food, but a lot of that is water.

Even over 4 hours, that would be 3000 kcal's of Yogurt (assuming it's low fat, much more if not) 600 kcals of honey, and 2-3000 kcals of fruit (depending on the fruit of course, but as it's you, it's presumably bananas, so at the top end.)

But even taking the lower end options, you're eating well over 5000 calories in the 4 hours. Given that from other threads we know you're currently only riding for two hours a day, which will burn nothing like 5000 calories you must be either gaining weight at quite alarming rates, or doing some other seriously heavy duty activities.

Perhaps the other activity is walking to the shops and back every day to buy these huge volumes of food?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If I had a blender I might have tried to blend a load of fruit up and add some other things to make it an energy drink, but me thinks it'd clog the bottle up.
  • most lunch times ill eat 2xchicken tikka slices, 1 litre of chocolate milkshake, and 6 sausage rolls, that adds up to 480% of my days RDA fat, and i havnt put on a kilogram in over a year, and im only cycling for an hour a day! whether thats down to high proton leak in my mitochondria or some other genetic difference, or just the fact im 18 i dont know. he may only ride for 2 hours, but thats leaves a full 22 hours for his muscles to be burning the rest, as they still "burn" a high quantity of energy whilst not in use. and also, as far as i know, youre body doesnt build up massive stores of sugar like it does fat, so not all 5000 calories of sugar will be stored/used by the body. hello diabetes though :?
    Stumpjumper Comp: was marketed as a "cross country" bike, but with a bit of effort and 4 months in the saddle, i can safely call it a "cross continent" bike! Africa down, 6 to go. 8) FCN 11
  • Bhima
    jibberjim wrote:
    Given that from other threads we know you're currently only riding for two hours a day, which will burn nothing like 5000 calories you must be either gaining weight at quite alarming rates, or doing some other seriously heavy duty activities.

No no no no no... I don't do this EVERY day... Gosh, people can get so carried away on this forum. :roll: It's just an extreme example of what I have done in the past after epic rides. I usually do 5 hour rides, the 2 hour rides i'm doing have only been for a couple weeks, please read my threads!
  • jibberjim
    as far as i know, youre body doesnt build up massive stores of sugar like it does fat, so not all 5000 calories of sugar will be stored/used by the body. hello diabetes though :?

I'm afraid the 5000 calories of sugar will end up as fat if not used, the body is quite capable of changing whatever the source of calories is into fat stores. And your body doesn't burn a whole lot of calories when it's not being used I'm afraid.
  • mikeq
    Bhima wrote:
    please read my threads!

Can you not just give us a quick summary, too much hassle to read all you threads :wink:

www.velochallenge.org
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Bhima wrote:
    Fruit salad is incredible for recovery if you use a lot of natural yoghurt. I buy the stuff in bulk in 10kg tubs so I sometimes have about 3kg of fruit, 3kg of yoghurt and 200g of honey in a big BIG bowl as soon as I get in.

3kg of fruit equals about 24 average sized bananas or equivalent in whatever fruit you're talking about. You're stretching it a bit here aren't you?

Also, where do you buy 10kg tubs of natural yoghurt, and what fridge do you own that's big enough to hold them? Or do you stop off at Costco on your way home?
  • mikeq

www.velochallenge.org
  • For those who make their own drinks with liquidised fresh fruit do you strain it off first? I'm just wondering if you have a problem with the pulp/seeds blocking up your bottle nozzle?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Bhima

3kg of fruit equals about 24 average sized bananas or equivalent in whatever fruit you're talking about. You're stretching it a bit here aren't you?

At the fruit shop that I work at, 3kg is what i'm allowed at super-discount price per day, so it's accurate.

Where did I say I eat bananas after a ride though? It's Peaches, Grapes and strawberries which are mainly water to be honest.