Nicolai Helius CC

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
On Friday I bought myself a new (2nd hand) frame, on Saturday I bought the extras I needed (cables, chain & front mech) today I have mostly been building & fettling this:

3518889648_f1b684e07c.jpg

3518897644_dbe82e8489.jpg

* Frame, Size, & Color: '07 Helius CC, Large, Anodised Black
* Fork: RS Revelation 426 Coil U-Turn (Pike Coil U-Turn by next week)
* Shock: Fox RP3
* Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde
* Cranks: Shimano SLX 42/32/22
* Shifters: SRAM X5
* Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
* Pedals: Outland Mags/Shimano M545 SPD's
* Stem: Sunline V1 AM 65mm
* Handlebar: Sunline V2
* Seatpost: Prolite
* Saddle: Charge Spoon
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX
* Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
* Chain: KMC X9.93
* Headset: Hope
* Grips: Charge Sponge
* Front Tire: Maxxis Ignitor Exception 2.35"
* Front Rim/ Spokes: DT 5.1d / DT Double Butted
* Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II / Shimano
* Rear Tire: Maxxis Ignitor Exception 2.35"
* Rear Rim: DT 5.1d / DT Double Butted
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II / Shimano
* Cables: Shimano XTR
* Misc:
* Overall Weight 27.5lbs

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    This stuff of your cove?

Why replave the revalations?

It is nice though. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Steve_b77
    Nope all the bit's off my Pitch that I'm now selling the frame.

I need another set of forks for the Helius or the Handjob, so Pikes it may be for the Helius or even another set of Revs.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Love the red highlights.

Some red floating rotors, and some red hubs next??

Would look trick :wink: :twisted:

On a more serious note, what's it like to ride? I've only heard good things about Nicolai bikes, and everyone always raves about build quality and finish. Whats yours like?

Nice bike matey 8) Stealth!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Steve_b77
    Chaz,

Red Skewers are on the way, no hubs though as there's nowt wrong with the ones on there only a year old.

Rotors are a possibility if I can fond some cheap enuff (skin flint, moi? never!!)

It feels fast as feck riding up the road outsdie my house, and bloody light!!

Build quality is superb, welds are amazing and overall finish is top drawer
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Awesome. I've always liked 'em for some reason I can't quite pin-point.

I was considering one when I got my last bike (Intense 6.6). Was almost a Yeti ASX too.

If only they weren't so expensive. Really want a gearbox version :wink:

The red skewers will look good. And you obviously know what hubs you'll be getting when they expire then? :wink: You tried eBay for the (Hope, maybe??) coloured rotors? It's normally pretty good.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • gbarnewall
    gbarnewall Posts: 63
    great looking bike,

and it is so true what you hear,
    i rememeber seeing a nicolai frame in a mag years ago and that just put me on the road to saving my ass off for one

now i have my pride and joy,Helius FR,it was a close call to put it to use or put it in a glass case and display it
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Nicolai are gorgeous bikes that I keep forgetting until one pops up. :shock:
  • Steve_b77
    updated pics now with:

Hope red skewers
    Outland El Rey saddle (black with red & white detailing)
    Sunline V2 low rise bars

3641851338_f248f99c81_b.jpg

3641035899_06f05a3db2_b.jpg
  • gbarnewall
    gbarnewall Posts: 63
    that looks so sweet,you can't possibly think of getting her dirty
  • Steve_b77
    gbarnewall wrote:
    that looks so sweet,you can't possibly think of getting her dirty

I've had it that dirty/muddy the rear wheel wouldn't turn due to mud & leaves jammed in there. Not exactly overly generous on the mud clearance @ the back, especially if it's sticky stuff. :roll:
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    Steve

Thinking of getting a second hand CC frame and building it up.

Hoping to get out on an 07 framed bike this week before I make a decision.

Any regrets about getting a Nicolai? I hear the BB is rather high, do you find that the case?

I am torn as I have a new set of Revelation Air U-Turns and a set of new Hope Pro 2 wheels courtesy of my lovely wife that I was going to put on my GT Avalanche Disc but I now feel they deserve a full sus frame.

Cheers for any feed back! :roll:
  • Steve_b77
    bay73 wrote:
    Steve

Any regrets about getting a Nicolai? I hear the BB is rather high, do you find that the case?

I am torn as I have a new set of Revelation Air U-Turns and a set of new Hope Pro 2 wheels courtesy of my lovely wife that I was going to put on my GT Avalanche Disc but I now feel they deserve a full sus frame.

Mine's a 2nd had frame too, by far the most cost effective way of ownign one 8) If you can find a 2nd hand one in good condition (which they generally are as the original owners tend to have ooodles of money)

Personally I love it, I had a Pitch before this and to be honest was overbiked for 90% of my riding, this Nic' climbs really well - almost hard-tail like, and descends pretty damm good too. If you're aiming for what is effectively a long travel XC machine/normal travel trail bike you're laffin.

The BB is just under 14" AFAIK which doesn't feel bad at all, you don't hit the pedals , I think the Pitch was about that anyway so it feels normal to me, I can't stand FS bikes with low BB's as when under load you tend to smack your pedals all over the shop.

Those components would compliment the frame nicely :wink: , the bike will probably end up weighing less than your GT too if you put a nice groupset on there like SLX and god quality finishing kit.
  • yeah i have gotten that feeling from my Fr but have yet to smack a chain ring,there are a few spots on the trails i got that have nasty scars on rocks,
  • bay73
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    bay73 wrote:
    Steve

Mine's a 2nd had frame too, by far the most cost effective way of ownign one 8) If you can find a 2nd hand one in good condition (which they generally are as the original owners tend to have ooodles of money)

Personally I love it, I had a Pitch before this and to be honest was overbiked for 90% of my riding, this Nic' climbs really well - almost hard-tail like, and descends pretty damm good too. If you're aiming for what is effectively a long travel XC machine/normal travel trail bike you're laffin.

The BB is just under 14" AFAIK which doesn't feel bad at all, you don't hit the pedals , I think the Pitch was about that anyway so it feels normal to me, I can't stand FS bikes with low BB's as when under load you tend to smack your pedals all over the shop.

Those components would compliment the frame nicely :wink: , the bike will probably end up weighing less than your GT too if you put a nice groupset on there like SLX and god quality finishing kit.

Cheers for the reply.

I got out on a Helius cc last night and despite the torrential rain had a blast.

Frame felt really good under me and nice and responsive.

Thinking of putting an XT groupset on it as long as I can persuade the guy to sell it at the right price :twisted:
  • Steve_b77
    Excellent news.

How much is he asking?
  • bay73
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Excellent news.

How much is he asking?

£900 including the DT shock and it has barely been ridden and in v. good condition. Does that seem fair to you?
  • Steve_b77
    bay73 wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Excellent news.

How much is he asking?

£900 including the DT shock and it has barely been ridden and in v. good condition. Does that seem fair to you?

YGPM
  • bay73
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    bay73 wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Excellent news.

How much is he asking?

YGPM

Steve

I'm somewhat excited as I pick up my fully built up Helius tomorrow and will be taking it for a thrash around the Surrey Hills to see what it can do... :twisted: