Van Nicholas

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
What does anyone think of the spec of this bike. Its a Van Nicholas but built up to this

Frame Chinook
Rear Derailleur Sram Force
Front Derailleur Sram Force
Shifters Sram Force
Chainset Sram Force
Bottom Bracket Sram Force
Chain Sram Force
Freewheel/Cassette Sram Force
Headset FSA Orbit MX
Stem Easton EA70
Handlebars Easton EA70
Front Brake Sram Force
Rear Brake Sram Force
Rims Mavic Ksyrium Elite Silver
Tyres Panaracer Extreme Evo
Saddle Fizik Pave HP
Seatpost Van Nicholas VNT 300mm Titanium
Grips Van Nicholas Cork Gel Black

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Get the VN Ti Stem and Spacers looks really good

I have Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tyres and really like them.

Never tried SRAM so can't comment on whether it's better than/worse than/different to Shimano or Campag (no cat fights please).

But the quality of my VN frame is superb.
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    What group set is that ? How do you like the euros ?Probably my 1st choice
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Looks solid.

Only changes I'd make are black Ksyriums rather than silver, to complement the ti frame and I'd probably go tubeless too while I'm at it, only cos I'm about to myself.

Maybe upgrade the stem to an EA90 - some good deals on ebay atm, and possibly a carbon post but only as I prefer black myself.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It's Dura Ace 7900. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-09-34164. A bit of an extravagance to be honest, but we got a good bonus at work this April so I thought 'what the hell'. Still stuck with ultegra pedals though.

The new Ultegra 6700 is out soon (mid-August http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... pset-20440) and shares much of the design with Dura Ace but is half the price. I run 6600 on my BMC and tbh, it's more than enough.

I wasn't sure about it for the first few hundred km. Had a few problems with fit, despite the bike shop doing a full bikefitting.com sizing. I played around with saddle height and earlier this month rode La Marmotte on it and was really pleased with it. The BMC is a triple and I thought hard about whether to put a triple on the Euros. 7900 allows a 28t rear sprocket, so with a compact 34-28 is about the same as 30-25 (although I have a 27 for emergencies). the new ultegra goes up to 28t too.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I had the Airborne Zeppelin before Jan Van Nicolaas left them to start VN.
    Great bike; light, smooth, responsive and strong.
    So smooth in fact, I kept looking down to see if I had a rear puncture first few weeks!
    My carbon Giant TCR comes close, but crashes/near misses worry me...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Hi, I've got a VN Euros, and am very pleased with it. I'd recommend that if you can afford to upgrade anything, go for the wheels over other components. I swapped out the seatpost and stem that came with the bike for Thompson Elite, as well as being strong and light, the finish complements the Ti frame perfectly. Also have to say the VN "Carbon" branded saddle that came with it is the most comfortable I've ever used.