Off to Norfolk any suggestions?

smithosa
smithosa Posts: 26
S I find myself looking forward to a rather unexpected weeks holiday on the north Norfolk coast, staying on a site near a small village called Blakeneyu to be precise. At which point I remind myself that I've spent my adult life taking the mick out of Norfolk for being flat and rather dull. So now we're actually going there I need some good family riding suggestions. Days out are likely to involve me ( a keen commuter) my wife ( a little less keen) eldest son (age 7) and youngest son (age 5 on a tag along).

Suggestions very much welcomed. :)

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    North Norfolk is great for cycling. There are climbs up off the coast but once up there plenty of quiet country lanes to enjoy. The coast road has its' fair share of traffic but with the North Norfolk OS map you can work out how to avoid it. Lots of beaches between Burnham and Cromer and the bikes will give you the opportunity to go to the harder to park at ones. Pack a picnic and enjoy the slower pace of life. If the kids are bored there are seal watching trips and the most child fascinating sport known handlining for crabs by the car park in Blakeney itself. Lovely deli and smokery in Cley (Pronounced Cli long i)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    if you have mountain style bikes (either mtb's or sturdy 'tourer' style bikes) thetford forest park is good for youngsters. you pay by the hour though, up to a max of £9.50 (or sumpink).

Worth a look if you have the right type of bikes.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Avoid Hunstanton, it's Blackpool without the glamour.

Wells is nice.

Beware the big-eared, banjo-playing, webbed-fingered locals though :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • gooner71
    gooner71 Posts: 19
    There's a leaflet available from local bike shops which details 3 rides around Holkham Hall. We did the 16 mile one a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    if you have mountain style bikes (either mtb's or sturdy 'tourer' style bikes) thetford forest park is good for youngsters. you pay by the hour though, up to a max of £9.50 (or sumpink).

Yeah, Thetford is good for youngsters, but it's about 2hrs in the car from Blakeney. :?

Even a commuter bike will get you round the Green, or even the Blue, at Thetford.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    pte1643 wrote:

Yeah, Thetford is good for youngsters, but it's about 2hrs in the car from Blakeney. :?

Oops, sorry, I don't know the area at all, just went up there for week. did the fens sportif and some gentle mtb'ing.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails