New Member and new Cube Ltd Comp

Taylorhawkins
Taylorhawkins Posts: 51
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Hi All,

Just joined up and thought I would post a couple of pics my new pride and joy :D I am just starting to get back into MTB, but after a couple of good long rides on my Cube im loving it again! Jut one quicke question, and sorry if its asked all the time but how often should you clean a bike? If too often can it cause the bike to rust?

Any how here is a couple of pics

photo-2.jpg
DSC00152-1.jpg
2009 Cube Ltd Comp - Stolen
2012 Cube Peleton Compt - Stolen
2013 Canyon Roadlite AL

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Good work with the Cube. I have a LTD Pro and its great.

In terms of cleaning I would say everytime you get back from a big ride. You don't have to clean it daily but just make sure that any major grim is off. I clean mine weekly. The rust should not really be a prob more of a issue with older steel bikes etc, however if you want to be certain I would say one word - WD40!! I use it all the time, it repels water, keeps thing lubricated and if you spray onto a cloth and use on the frame it makes it look great. Just keep it away from the brakes and grips
  • Cheers for the advice, I got some muk off which I read is meant to be good and some brushes. I have loads of WD40 so I'll keep it handy!

Cheers
    2013 Canyon Roadlite AL
  • Cheers for the advice, I got some muk off which I read is meant to be good and some brushes. I have loads of WD40 so I'll keep it handy!

Cheers

Nice ride! I Like those cube bikes!

Re: WD40.... DONT get it anywhere near your brakes/disks etc as it will contaminate them!

And not ANYWHERE near your forkstantions as it will damage your seals.

The only think I use WD40 for is if I remove the chain for cleaning, to displace water before lubing... oh and I use ot to polish the frame at the very end of my cleaning regime.

As above, you don't have to clean it after every ride, use your own judgement on this, just keep your drivetrain (mechs/chain/crankset) free of crud, clean and lubed, it will alst a hell of a lot longer!

Purchase some Muc-Off disc cleaner for your rotors, or just hot soapy water, never anything else...

:wink:
  • Cheers also
    2013 Canyon Roadlite AL
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Nice bike, although you need to change your pedals.
    And remember aluminium doesn't rust. :D
  • That's a good point :) at the moment I'm happy with the pedals the only few things I'm looking into are the saddle, it's quite painfully around a certain area lol, and the stem, it's quite long so I may get a shorter one.

As I'm here might aswell ask; can u dampen/soften the front forks without buying new springs? Sorry if this is a bit of a newb question but I guess I am a newb :oops:

cheers again
    2013 Canyon Roadlite AL
  • stone-rose
    stone-rose Posts: 176
    nice bike, i was tempted by the Cube range
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    yer loving the cube mate love te black as well.

were in soton ya from there is a few of us on here i belive we should get together and go out for a ride
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You will toughen up and the saddle will feel easier, don't change it until you have ridden for a month or so, if youstill don't like it then try soemthing else.

At this stage practically any saddle will feel uncomfortable after a while.

Only change the stem if it is making your reach too far forward and putting too much weight on your wrists. Again, being 'new' to cycling, it will take some time to toughen up and realised what exactly is wrong.

Oh yeah.... wd40 is NOT a lubricant.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cheers still for all the comments and advice,

I will persevere with the bike for a while, don't want to spend any unnecessary money on it yet as I do love it!

I live in marchwood and work in Christchurch so I'm mainly in the New Forest area! Do you know of good place to ride as I have only been on some common cycle routes so far. Ill be interested in coming for a cycle/meet when I'm a bit better :) I don't want to hold people up!

And yes I know wd40 is not a lubricant cheers :P
    2013 Canyon Roadlite AL
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    looking good there fella 8)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Your saddle is pointing up. Rotate the nose a bit down and you'll feel it a lot comfortable, trust me.

About the forks, don't worry, they'll soften after a while.
  • Cheers again, I have moved the bike saddle now since the pics. As for the forks I'm used to a harsh ride from my car so I guess I can give them time. :D
    2013 Canyon Roadlite AL