after the rain... Defy is pinging, whirring.

SimonLyons
SimonLyons Posts: 203
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Yesterday, cycled to work in the rain(~15 miles).
I sprayed the chain with lubricant before going home in the dry.

When I went home in the evening the bike was whirring and pinging all the way home. It started off sounding like something was knocking together and then built up to a whirring pinging noise. It even occurred to a lesser extent without pedalling.

Its a Defy 1 and I have never had such a temperamental bike for noises - probably just not lubricated properly when it was built (back in February).
-- previously taken back for pinging spokes, bottom bracket noises.

Anybody else had this type of experience?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably needs a good service.

Also Park Tools has a guide on how to diagnose noises.
  • only had one real noise and that was the rattle from a loose spoke, which was easily fixed by the roadside. I checked the rest when I got home and made sure the wheels were true and not had any probs since. Saying that, I thought there was a slight creak coming from the headset, but when I took it for its post sale check up the mechanic demonstrated it was just the plastic ferrule on the gear cable creaking when you twisted the bars as far as they would go, so I presume he just put a bit of lubricant on, as its fine now.

No comfort to you but its the quietest bike I've ever owned up to now !!!! but then I've only had it about 4 mnths
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I've got a Defy 1 and do have a problem with a creaking bottom bracket. I mentioned it at the tune-up service and he tightened up the cups which fixed it... for about 2 miles. Will probably try completely stripping it down and re-assembling at some point this winter to try and get rid of the creak for next year - it's really[/] annoying, so I feel your pain.

_
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Underscore wrote:
    I've got a Defy 1 and do have a problem with a creaking bottom bracket. I mentioned it at the tune-up service and he tightened up the cups which fixed it... for about 2 miles. Will probably try completely stripping it down and re-assembling at some point this winter to try and get rid of the creak for next year - it's really[/] annoying, so I feel your pain.
    _

I know the pain of a creaking bike. I had a creak that I swore was coming from the BB of my Jake. Turned out to be the front wheel quick release not being tight enough. If it is the BB a reinstall with a generous amount of grease on the BB threads or some thread lock ought to cure it.

Mike
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Took the front wheel out. Checked the spokes - seem OK but then I am no expert.
    Put a bit of grease around the front wheel hub where the spokes are attached.
    Cleaned up and lubbed the chain properly.
    Next ride(s) noises had disappeared - no sign of reappearing yet.
    ...thought about getting a spoke tension meter... maybe next birthday.

--re creaking bottom bracket - I had mine regreased ~May which cleared it up. This was a regular noise whenever you put pressure on the pedal in a certain position which would come and go 50 miles no noise, next 10-15 a creak.
    next 40 no noise etc...
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I once had a noise that I would swear was from the BB...However, it was rear wheel bearings that needed attention...
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Yesterday, cycled to work in the rain(~15 miles).
    I sprayed the chain with lubricant before going home in the dry.

When I went home in the evening the bike was whirring and pinging all the way home. It started off sounding like something was knocking together and then built up to a whirring pinging noise. It even occurred to a lesser extent without pedalling.

Its a Defy 1 and I have never had such a temperamental bike for noises - probably just not lubricated properly when it was built (back in February).
    -- previously taken back for pinging spokes, bottom bracket noises.

Anybody else had this type of experience?

I've noticed the odd noise after rain on my Defy 2 (with Hollowtech) which was cured by a clean and lube - I've done just over 2000miles on it.

If it's noisy when you're not peddling take a closer look at your wheel bearings and rear cassette as your BB will usually only complain when you're peddling - try a bit of of lube around the BB cups, if it feels like the BB is ""crunching", it maybe time for new bearings or at least a strip down.

I also had spoke problems but the LBS sorted that out.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had the same after a downpour on my bike wheel, I think some water had gotten into the bearing races or something, it went away after a couple of days.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017