First Sportive. Some Questions

batch78
batch78 Posts: 1,320
Just a few quick questions I'm hoping some of you more experianced sportive riders can answer.

If its wet do I need mudguards?

I've only ever ridden alone before, will groups form? Will I be expected to take a turn on the front and if so should I use the correct hand/arm signals or will this be wasted on other sportive riders?

How much food and drink is normally supplied at feed stations?

Thats all I can think of for now but other first timers feel free to hijack the thread and add your own questions.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You only need mudguards to avoid getting wet - it's not a requirement

Groups may form and etiqutte may apply but expect some numpties who will gallop off/ignore your signals. Take a turn by all means but don't turn into a bunch engine.

It's subject to what's provided re food and drink. Take your own bars/gels but don't forget that small shops eg Co-op or Spar have fruit,water etc (Buy 1ltr upwards in water as it's cheaper)
    M.Rushton
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mudguards - I would if it's wet as hours with a wet arse isn't fun, it's not a requirement though
    Groups - at the start you'll inevitably be in groups but my experience things get spread out fairly quickly so unless you want to try and tag onto a group it's more likely you'll end up on your own (albeit with people ahead and behind you but with gaps).
    Food - seems to vary in quality between sportives, I just use the feed stops for some solid food (bananas and small sponge cakes seem to be the norm) as well as restocking with energy drink. I carry my own gels to actually get most of the energy I need.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Be prepared to initially go faster than training runs for the first 20 miles or so as I think there is a lot of nervous energy at the start of sportives and the pace is up. Groups will form but you dont need to all take turns - some people tag on the back for a few miles or so just to get pulled along. Its not a race so dont think you have take turns unless your feeling up for it.

Look out for people passing on both sides and not all will give a shout to when they are going to and downhill sections can be hairy with people who can descend with more skill(or just crazy) and fly past at speed.

After the first 20 miles it quiets down and then just enjoy the ride and the scenery. I usually go through a 'bad patch' at around the 70mile mark for a short while before feeling better again and it usually last 30mins or so and energy gels help at this point.
    Brian B.