crank slip/unpromted gear change?

lejogx2
lejogx2 Posts: 32
edited August 2009 in Workshop
When i'm cycling my pedal seems to regularly lose conection with the chain and it slips making the bike very hard to ride. this usually only happens when i push really hard but not always. it also seems to change gear without my promtining it, or it sounds like ythat anyway. is there a quick fix or is this a biek shop job? thanks

Comments

• bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    Is your chain brand new, or is it rusty, old and wearing out??
    Rings and sprockets, how are they??

Are you having trouble only when you are on a bike, or is it the same problem if you put your bike on a work stand and try to turn pedals by hands??

Try these for working on a solution...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    bike shop, too many potential causes.
  • bobtravers
    bike shop, too many potential causes.

Whoah, is that possible to have more information on the problem before going to a LBS??? It can be a little something...
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It sounds like the rear derallieur may possibly need a little adjustment. Does it struggle to change gear on occasion when you actually want it to change gear?
    Cycling weakly
  • lejogx2
    lejogx2 Posts: 32
    almost brand new bike had it about 4 months. ironicly bob its a specialized
  • bobtravers
    Not a Specialized, impossible!!!! :D

It could be the rear mech, as said earlier... Do you know how to adjust it?? If not, check on YouTube for tutorial, or on Park Tool website, they offer great advice. If you're not pretty sure about what you are doing, go for a good LBS that can show you what is the problem, not just repairing it and then charge you!!!
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    movement in the crank could cause this - hold both crank arms and see if there is any sideways movement.