NapoleonD Legbreaker ride - 13/09/09

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Sun 13th September has been decided on I think!

Just need to sort out route and where we are meeting. I would like to encompass the descent to Lamaload to extinguish my fears.

I was thinking about 70ish miles taking in some of Macc Forest, with a cafe stop somewhere.

Not too challenging as to put off those who have recently been injured or aren't super fit but not too easy either! I was wondering if we could meet at Alderley Edge station again, if everyone is up for it out towards Mow Cop and then doing the hills from the Cheshire Cat or similar? Or something completely different, I'm fully open to suggestion.

Your thoughts please (if anyone actually wants to do it!!).

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Sounds good. Do you think 70 miles will put people off though? Dont mind personally so long as the weather looks decent! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Possibly... Happy to make it shorter!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'll be up for it, if I'm at home...
    The hills will certainly be a shock for me, but hey, no good ignoring them!
    :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    There is a slim chance I'll be in the Peaks that weekend, it's my birthday.

If so, I'd happily join, so we can have the final discussion on whether frame material actually matters.

But it is a slim chance. 70 miles is perfect... got a small ride mapped on my website

http://ridewithugo.xtreemhost.com/goytvalley.html

But you know the area best, so I would be happy with anything
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    hopper, we'll all stick together so no one gets left, it's a social ride rather than a training one...

Be great to see you!

Ugo, I'll have a look at that route, I will probably be too breathless to have any meaningful discussion...
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I get back from my jollies that weekend, if I am not racing then I will tag along. Can't confirm as I will be away from t'internet for the week, so I will either be there or I won't. :D
  • hopper1
    I'm not thinking of getting dropped.... Just the shock of proper hills!
    I'm looking forward to a proper training ride in different terrain. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    I am worried about getting dropped :shock:
  • hopper1
    I doubt it... :wink:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, let's do it. Bring on the hills.

How are you going to get from Alderley Edge to "the descent"?
    - Over Alderley/Macc/Rainow?
    - Mottram St. Andrew/Adlington/Pott Shrigley?

Blaze Farm in Allgreave is a good place to stop for food, although maybe it would come a little too early on into the ride...
  • Anonymous
    Out towards Mow cop, Wincle, Blaze Farm for a break, across Macc Forest, down Lamaload, through Bollington, Finish on Swiss Hill :D
  • a_n_t
    like it, not done mow cop yet.

just did a route covering all that but lost it! doh! a smidge over 50 miles, i'll stick it up tomorrow and see what you think.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Bhima
    Good route. I've also not done Mow Cop.

Swill Hill though.... :shock: You trying to break the other leg this time? :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Out towards Mow cop, Wincle, Blaze Farm for a break, across Macc Forest, down Lamaload, through Bollington, Finish on Swiss Hill :D

I love Swiss Hill, I used to do it regularly to prepare for the Flanders... I have to say it's harder than most belgian Muur... beside the Koppenberg, Paterberg and the Kapelmuur
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    I'm doing a route on Mapmyride and it's looking like about 55 miles with some good but not daft climbing.

Only downer is a stretch near the beginning on the Main road to congleton but it's not too bad...
  • Anonymous
    Right, sorted a route, 55 miles, nice 3000ft of climbing including Mow Cop, Wincle, Macc Forest (Standing Stone) Blaze Hill, Sugar Lane and Swiss Hill. So nothing too demoralising!

Start and finish at Alderley Edge Station (the side nearest the village centre).

Cake/tea/Beans on toast stop at Blaze Farm after the climb from Wincle...
  • Bhima
    Map my ride says max gradient is 5%. :? Also, maybe i'm blind, but that translucent red line showing the route is really difficult to see!

Enough moaning, I coppied it into bikehike and it looks sweet.

I'm building a winter bike 2 days before this ride, so maybe i'll test it out, although I probably shouldn't have said the "w" word as i've probably jynxed the weather now. :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Well I think we all know that there are far more steeper gradients than that on the ride, not that I'm bothered!

MMR is bobbins but it's the only thing that works on the work computers.
  • Bhima
    Sorry, did you say it's the "only" thing that works on the computers?

Wow, these police supercomputers are amazing.

Maybe one day, there'll be room for some kind of criminal database too. :lol:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I might come along if I'm able to ride then, hopefully my knee will be getting better.
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    Sorry, did you say it's the "only" thing that works on the computers?

Wow, these police supercomputers are amazing.

Maybe one day, there'll be room for some kind of criminal database too. :lol:

Yep. Pretty much. We just got a load of 'new' computers, old stock dells from about 2003 IIRC.
  • Bhima
    Will - If you can't make it, could you please record yourself moaning about your knee so I can play it back when riding to make it appear as if you're there...? Make sure to include random complaints about noises coming from your cranks too. Thanks. :lol:
  • I'd love to have a go at this but I think I'd slow you all down way to much.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Anonymous
    No, you wouldn't!
  • Napoleon

I just powered down/up a building at the weekend, and saw your pic on one of the desks !! So I assume it's either your desk, or you've got a fan club !! :D

Anyway, yep, those Dells are cr4p and old, and 20 of them failed to powerup ! :evil:
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Bhima wrote:
    Will - If you can't make it, could you please record yourself moaning about your knee so I can play it back when riding to make it appear as if you're there...? Make sure to include random complaints about noises coming from your cranks too. Thanks. :lol:

I don't really complain about my bike now much, it's running perfectly, just needs some new headset bearings to eliminate a creak when breaking hard.

For any ideas for a ride look on bikehike search, 1KM within M4 4DW, I've drew up quite a few maps some of which I think have some good bits on.
  • a_n_t
    I'd love to have a go at this but I think I'd slow you all down way to much.

Do it, its recreational not training! The quicker ones just wait at the top of climbs for the slower ones :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Indeed, it's a social ride not a race or a training ride!
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    typical, i wait for this ride all summer then you pick the day im going on holiday. :cry: . hope you have a good one . tim.