First day with lights.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Well, I did start out at 5am....warm enough for tee shirt and shorts, but I had to have my lights on...very dark.

Very depressing :-(

Comments

• Ugh.

Next , the winter weather watch thread will be bumped...! :(
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Man that's depressing.

Searching for a silver lining....an excuse to buy new winter/night gear? :)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I've used my rear light (a Mars 4) a few times this month. Not 'cos of the darkness, but the weather's been so gloomy.

To be honest I'm looking forward to winter as it tends to be dryer. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. So I'll do both. :lol::cry:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Unfortunately is also meant the start of the school run again - its been so peacful for the last 6 weeks without all the stressed out SUV drivers :(
  • I just bought myself an Altura Night Vision jacket in Evans sale. I did wonder if that was an unnecessarily pessimistic purchase for August. :(
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • I just bought myself an Altura Night Vision jacket in Evans sale. I did wonder if that was an unnecessarily pessimistic purchase for August. :(

You can't beat high-vis. cycle wear. I drove to work one day last week and I spotted a cyclist in a fluro jacket a quarter of a mile away. I saw him long before I spotted a 'camouflaged' cyclist who was a lot closer.

You've got to keep the odds on your side.

I used to sing along to this in the '70s.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I just bought myself an Altura Night Vision jacket in Evans sale. I did wonder if that was an unnecessarily pessimistic purchase for August. :(

You can't beat high-vis. cycle wear. I drove to work one day last week and I spotted a cyclist in a fluro jacket a quarter of a mile away. I saw him long before I spotted a 'camouflaged' cyclist who was a lot closer.

You've got to keep the odds on your side.

I used to sing along to this in the '70s.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0

A nice reminder that high-viz really is a good thing. I was beginning to get comfortable wearing 'not as effective' clothing on my commute. Time to get some high-viz bits and lights for the bike.
  • R_T_A
    It was also a bit chilly with the fingerless gloves this morning :(

Mind you, that was only the first 5 minutes. It was glorious sunshine the rest of the journey :)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - first day with a single figure temperature on the thermometer. I was stuck deciding between tights and shorts, and long sleeve / short sleeve.

<sigh>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Yup - first day with a single figure temperature on the thermometer. I was stuck deciding between tights and shorts, and long sleeve / short sleeve.

<sigh>

Mmmm, tights... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SecretSam wrote:

<sigh>

Someone tell me Sam is a girly Sam, not a blokey Sam.... :? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • R_T_A
    SecretSam wrote:

<sigh>

Someone tell me Sam is a girly Sam, not a blokey Sam.... :? :wink:

His location does state he comes from "A lonely place" :shock: :oops: :shock:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Bloody cold this morning too - decided on tee shirt and shorts anyway.....I must resist until it gets freezing cold!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    had a few days where the rain has darkened it enough to need lights the past couple of months. No need for permanent attachment yet though for me thankfully.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I'll be using the lights tonight. still in the office :(
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur