How often do you need new tyres?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
I know all of the usual answers to this question - it depends on the conditions, it depends on what tyres, it depends on their size, it depends on how much weight you carry, etc etc etc.

Lots and lots of "it depends", basically.

But forget all of that and humour me by telling me two things - how often you buy new tyres and what that roughly equates to in mileage.

I'll begin:

Time - roughly once per year
Miles - roughly 5,000.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    After 3 years on MTB, but 1 year on the commute. Roughly 4,000 miles, but that is a guess.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Okay. Replaced the rear on my Jake after about 3000 miles (rotating the previous front tyre onto the rear and putting thew new one on the front). I'm now at 4500 miles and that rotated front tyre is now getting worn enough to replace (will do it next weekend).

That a 50% tarmac/ 50% mud/gravel commute.

Time taken to do this. 8months for the first replacement and 14months for the second.

Mike
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    It depends....... :lol:

Basically - it you can see cloth through the tread => replace
    if you can see sidewall defects, frays, etc. => replace
    if the tyre is at all perished => replace
    if you can see a flat spot on the tread, but its not bothering you yet => put pennies in the piggy bank in anticiaption of a spate of punctures and inevitable replacement.
    if there is a fatal colour clash between the tyres and the colour scheme of the bike generally => replace.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I replaced my rear Ultremo after 2000+ miles and zero punctures because it had several holes in it that were causing the tyre to bulge slightly. My front tyre (3,200 miles) now has one such hole, and several other substantial nicks, and I think I'll be replacing that soon too. It has also had zero punctures.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Got two flats in a week on my rear tyre so I've replaced it because they make me unhappy. Lots of little shards of glass buried in the thing! Now I've pulled them all out, a spot of superglue would probably make it fine for use again and I'll learn to inspect more often.

However, I bought a new tyre anyway. And that was after not even 800 miles. Probably an outlier, that one..
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • 2,500 miles for my Specialized all condition that came with the bike riding around South East London/NW Kent glass track carrying 18 stones + panniers. Rear was puncturing 2 times a week at that point (150-200 miles/week), front looked to have at least the same again in it (but I like my tyres to match :oops: ), so it is in storage for emergencies.
  • sarajoy wrote:
    a spot of superglue would probably make it fine for use again
    <lazy mode>
    What was that rubber solution for divers that CJ mentioned a week or so back (and where to get it)? More flexible, so doesn't fall out of the fill (as I find superglue tends to once hard).
    </lazy mode>
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    duncedunce wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:
    a spot of superglue would probably make it fine for use again
    <lazy mode>
    What was that rubber solution for divers that CJ mentioned a week or so back (and where to get it)? More flexible, so doesn't fall out of the fill (as I find superglue tends to once hard).
    </lazy mode>

I mentioned superglue, but somebody else mentioned wetsuit glue from PBK. :)

Changed my Gatorskins in July after about 1 year/6,500 miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Ta, I'll look it up.

Looking at the responses to Jamey's original post, I'm obviously putting excessive strain on the Spec all conditions. They tend to get reasonable reviews from what I've seen. Either it's the weight :( , the road surface along the A20/A2 :? or the awesome I lay down* :roll:

*(c) DDD 2008
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    duncedunce wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Ta, I'll look it up.

Looking at the responses to Jamey's original post, I'm obviously putting excessive strain on the Spec all conditions. They tend to get reasonable reviews from what I've seen. Either it's the weight :( , the road surface along the A20/A2 :? or the awesome I lay down* :roll:

*(c) DDD 2008
    Well mine were Spec All Condition Sports - if I'd inspected for glass shards more often I may have kept mine longer - it's only been 6 months and that not daily riding... But I bomb around the city centre a fair bit so there's more chance of glass in the road... maybe.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • cjcp
    duncedunce wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Ta, I'll look it up.

*(c) DDD 2008

I looked at some on Saturday at my LBS. They looked pretty durable tbh.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • the commute bike is fitted with marthon pluses the bike is 3 or more years old the tires are two or so years old, it tends to get low milage though does get loaded, had one puncture that was a unlucky screw,

with the road bike it's once a year or so when it's picked up enought slashes for I to start to worry, blizzards never yet had a puncture with them, though the tires do look trashed by the end of it.

i have no idea as to millage sorry though fairly rough roads but largely low milage.
  • cjcp wrote:
    You're not making me feel any better ...

:wink:
  • cjcp
    duncedunce wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    You're not making me feel any better ...

:wink:

:lol:

I actually have an unsupported theory about the number of high streets/ed areas a commuter needs to pass through heading directly south or south east being greater than if you head my way (south west) and that you are therefore more likley to encounter the guff associated with high streets. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."