Recommendations for a decent road map...

toshmund
toshmund Posts: 390
I don't want to go through the expense/hassle of having to maintain/batteries etc, of a Garmin style device. Just want a road map, of decent enough detail to get A/B and the better minor roads in. Which I would be able to have small enough (A5, I suppose) laminated to fit in a shirt pocket. I have had a look at the AA handbook and stuff like that, not enough detail though. Anyone got any recommendations please?

I know the Ordnance Survey do the bespoke maps, where you have your postcode placed in the centre of the map. I suppose you could turn the garage/spare bedroom into the "War Office" and have it behind perspex, with chinagraph squiggles and diagrams of the best cafes! :D

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Buy Memory Map and print and laminate your own maps. That's what I did before getting an Etrex Legend HCx. Those batteries that last 20 hours plus are a real hassle mind :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Which batteries do you use then? I have had a look at getting some Technoline BL700 after they were recommended on here. Previous experience has been of Radio Shack rechargeables (in the days of Tandy) which the Mini Disc player used to laugh at and discharge in an instant. For the lights, just been buying the 8 pack AAA's from Argos. The BLT takes 4, and seems to last about 20 hours - which economically works.
  • I use multimap.com, the use OS map verision. Expand the map screen and then just screen dump, print out and laminate, Works for me on Audax's. Fits in back pocket. Davy
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Toshmund wrote:
    Which batteries do you use then? I have had a look at getting some Technoline BL700 after they were recommended on here. Previous experience has been of Radio Shack rechargeables (in the days of Tandy) which the Mini Disc player used to laugh at and discharge in an instant. For the lights, just been buying the 8 pack AAA's from Argos. The BLT takes 4, and seems to last about 20 hours - which economically works.

I get about 20 hours from my GPS using either 2500mAh recgargeables or even just standard Duracells.
    More problems but still living....
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    When I go exploring in the Surrey Hills I take a page ripped out of a UK road atlas. Covers Surrey down through to the Sussex coast.

It's light (approximately 5 grams) and it never runs out of batteries :)