How much kit do I need?

flybike
flybike Posts: 84
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I have just started road riding and need to get kit for a planned 3-4 training rides a week, how much kit do I need, mainly bottom half?
I am figuring you wash you shorts/tights after every ride (I am a girl - that might make a difference, dirty boys). I have a pair of bibshorts but they aren't the most comfy. I'd like to try and save some money by buying now whilst the sales are one! I am sorted for my top half, got my rowing tops and some good jerseys already and a jacket.
Advice appreciated :)

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Not a very helpful answer, but I guess the question is really how much laundry you want to be doing! It all pretty much dries overnight but you probably don't want to do washing specially. Personally for 3-4 rides a week I think 3 pairs would do me and ensure there's always some clean ones to hand.

When touring many years ago I (gasp!) wore some for more than a day and nothing untoward happened so I wouldn't think it would be a disaster if you had to double up occasionally.

If you're looking to economise take a look at the dhb stuff from Wiggle- very happy with pretty much everything I've had from them.
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    Winter seems a long way off but if you plan on riding in cold weather you'll need tights, and winter gear is often cheaper 'out of season'.

For cooler days when shorts are not enough but tights too much, legwarmers are really useful as you can take them off once you've warmed up. Overshoes will keep your feet warm and dry in cold/ wet weather.

I tend to spend more on essentials like shorts, less on things like arm warmers or overshoes.
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    I find ALDI do" value for money kit" for starters - you can always buy the more expensive kit later if you decide to continue cycling
    If you go to the ALDI web site, there you can register for weekly e-mails ,notifying you of the weeks specilal offers at your local store - but do not hand about,as the cycling kit goes very quickly.
    Hope this is of help, - enjoy your cycling
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    You need bib shorts and bib tights, 2 pairs of each, to cover all eventualities, plus leg warmers and I'd also include overshoes.
    If you can afford it, buy Assos, or Pearl Izumi, your sensative bits will love you forever!
    You could get away with one pair of each, but you'll be washing kit after every ride. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If your budget is tight, get a decent pair of unpadded tights and use your summer shorts underneath. IME, better kit fits better, is made from better quality material and lasts longer. For winter you'll probably want some good glover, overshoes and headband / under helmet hat.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Remember to buy some chamois cream, aka, Chub-rub :wink:
  • flybike
    Excellent! Thanks for all the advice, I will see what I bargains I can find online etc. I went into a bike shop the other day but they were less than helpful - mainly because I was a girl and a beginner I think.
    I have tights that I wear/wore rowing (am moving somewhere soon where there is no river so I am hoping cycling will fill that void - I clearly have to stick to sports were hideous* lycra is a necessity) so I can wear shorts under them I guess. Thanks for the chamois cream tip too :D

(*dependent on taste of course)
  • hopper1
    flybike wrote:
    Excellent! Thanks for all the advice, I will see what I bargains I can find online etc. I went into a bike shop the other day but they were less than helpful - mainly because I was a girl and a beginner I think.
    I have tights that I wear/wore rowing (am moving somewhere soon where there is no river so I am hoping cycling will fill that void - I clearly have to stick to sports were hideous* lycra is a necessity) so I can wear shorts under them I guess. Thanks for the chamois cream tip too :D

(*dependent on taste of course)

Oh God, no... Please don't eat it. :shock:
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    You can never have enough gear IMO..just dont tell the other half :wink:
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • I once did LeJog 930 miles in 10 days unsupported in the same pair of unwashed lycras. I just lathered up my crack with Savlon and E45 each morning and I was fine.
    :shock:
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Overshoes are a must, cant recommend Endura Luminite highly enough http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Endur ... 360041027/

A decent wind/waterproof jacket.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I will see what I bargains I can find online

We all love a bargain, but don't scrimp too much on the bibshorts. You have already noticed your current pair aren't too comfy.

Good bibshorts are essential to a comfy ride.
  • flybike
    hopper1 wrote:

Oh God, no... Please don't eat it. :shock:

Ahhh! This is why I am needing so much kit :roll:
    I once did LeJog 930 miles in 10 days unsupported in the same pair of unwashed lycras. I just lathered up my crack with Savlon and E45 each morning and I was fine.
    :shock:

Does that not result in one festering mess? :oops:

I think I'll go for the 3 pairs option and see how I get on. I have a pair of Nike padded shorts on order and if they are good I'll get some more of them.
  • hopper1
    I have a pair of Nike Bib longs... Not very comfy IMHO.
    Whatever you choose, I stronlgy recommend you get the 'bib' type.
    Normal shorts or longs will bunch around your middle and may be uncomfortable.
  • flybike
    They have to be better than the ones I currently have, I swear the pad is made from cardboard.
    I think I will get a mix of bibs and without bibs, being a laydee having to completely strip to have a pee outside in winter...well, you get the idea.

oh and thanks mikeq, will check those overshoes out.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    flybike wrote:
    I went into a bike shop the other day but they were less than helpful - mainly because I was a girl and a beginner I think.
    Don't bother going back, they don't deserve your money.

I like undershorts beneath my Altura leggings in the winter but normal cycle shorts should be fine. I don't know whether bibs would be better but I found some Lusso shorts for £10 on ebay (new) which seem comfy. Thicker merino/thermolite socks help keep your toes warm but the good ones never seem to be on offer so you might as well wait until you need them.

A gilet can be a good idea in mixed conditions, but a pertex windproof/showerproof jacket is the one thing I'd always carry.

Cheap clothing can be a lottery but sometimes are OK - Aldi mitts and winter gloves are reasonable, for instance - but buying stuff that fits you and lasts sometimes takes time and effort. You could buy one cheap pair as spare/swapout when your good gloves are wet. Tesco are sellng jerseys in blue & white for £8. I bought two at the weekend and wore one today. Sizing was a bit of a lark, I had to get a Medium (I'm usually a Small) and the arms are a tight fit. Didn't notice once I was riding, though.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I don't have the bib type shorts, but have never to date found my normal ones anything other than comfortable. Don't be bullied into buying bibs on the say of other cyclists, you'll find it's usually a case of "if you aint got bibs you aint a real cyclist".
    Dave
  • hopper1
    skinson wrote:
    I don't have the bib type shorts, but have never to date found my normal ones anything other than comfortable. Don't be bullied into buying bibs on the say of other cyclists, you'll find it's usually a case of "if you aint got bibs you aint a real cyclist".
    Dave

That's a bit strong, Dave! :shock:
    Over the years, I have worn both types, and the bibs are much more comfortable, IMHO, so I base my advice on that...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The easy answer is......more. IME :)

If you can avoid the seductive wiles of Brands and keep an agnostic approach there are often bargains advertised in the magazines and on-line. Layers of cheaper clothing can be more flexible when on a longer ride or when the weather is changeable. (Like all this summer grrrrr.) Padded shorts worn under padded tights are rather comfy if both pads are quite low quality or a bit tired. Lidl and Aldi both do promotions of "entry level" stuff, spring and autumn. Sizing and patterns/colours can be "iffy" but they are cheap!

Get yourself a lightweight "showerproof" such as a Montane Featherlite, to have in your pocket every ride. They are seldom available in sales as they are so useful. Unless you intend to ride in all weathers, such a jacket will serve you well, keep the worst of the wet off you and help with some warmth as you straggle home.

BTW :oops: you probably know that padded shorts are designed to be worn "commando" :oops: Not every beginner does.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I used to just wear cycling shorts, a mix of less expensive and a couple of more expensive ones. The dear ones are much more comfortable and last longer, so I would suggest getting a mix of rough n ready and good stuff for those longer runs. Recently got my first bib shorts and find them pretty good.

I have a pair of gore-tex north wave boots that I got for using MTB, but find them extremely comfortable for road bike too. And you do not ever need overshoes. Mainly for commuting, but will wear them for colder long runs. They are probably my best bit of kit. them and my Seal Skin socks.... together they are virtually bomb proof! Only drawback is if it pissing down and pain dribbles down legs into top of boot, but hey ho...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"